• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Harness

Horse Lady

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amber
What is the best harness to buy? What size should I get for a green wing macaw ?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The "Aviator" harness and the extra large size.

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Some birds become completely phobic when you try to put it on - even if you go super super slow - my Senegal refuses it - I take him outside in a small portable cage instead. I've also tried a harness (Aviator) with a crimson belly conure - no go either. I tried acclimating the senegal when he was very very young (just weaned) - it didn't make any difference - he got so freaked out with the harness going over his head that I thought he would choke himself before I managed to get it off him - scary stuff (this senegal is not phobic about anything else).

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm trying the Feather Tether. I can get it over my BE2's head, but he will only leave it there for five seconds. We can't seem to move on to the next step. As soon as he's eaten his rewards he wants it off. It's like I need another hand. One to keep feeding him, and the other two to work the harness!:banghead:

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My feeling is - if they hate the feeling of the harness - they won't get the enjoyment of being out-of-doors - if you can get them to like the harness - then you are "home free" - but if not - try a portable cage that you can bring outside