• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senegal Grumble

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
So first I need to mention that my female senegal of unknown age I rescued is an absolute doll. She is so even tempered and quiet she seems like a dog. She has only bitten me in fear twice when breaking up a battle when my GCC flew over to pick a fight last year. She isnt very playful, or exciting but she is my baby. She mostly likes to hang on my shoulder or lap and snuggle and run off for the occasional exploration.

I am curious about two of her quirks. Her snuggle grumble as I call it, while she is snuggling in for a nap or chill time, she gives me a loud grumble if I swallow, or talk or open my mouth. Its like she is annoyed that Im making noise.

And then there is her love of grabbing my neck skin and licking it. She'll do this for a good 15 mins. She is very very gentle. Maybe she likes the taste of salt?

Does anyone elses Sennies do either?

Last edited:

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
Oh. My. Goodness.

That's adorable. I love grumbly birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What a little love bug you have there. Was she hand reared?

Captain50

Meeting neighbors
Im not sure TBH. I found her at an avian pet store I visit for food and toys about a year and a half ago. They are very clean and carry high quality bird items and appear to treat their birds very well but they are pushy to sell parrots, even to people with little knowledge. This makes me cringe beyond words. They also take in surrendered birds and rehome them. She was a surrender and in poor feather condition. She was absolutely terrified of me for the first 2 months. Her vet visits went well, a bit low on albumen levels but some good chicken and egg brought that up quickly and her next molt came in great. I spent a lot of careful trust building with her and she has since been the best, the very best friend I could ask for.

Okay one more video, sometimes shes so hard up for a cuddle she has to hang down my shoulder for it

Car ride!

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for rescuing her She sure adores you.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Eh, you're both pretty cute!!! Lucky you and lucky her to have each other. I don't know what the grumbling would be about but she looks very content snuggled up. She does look like she's tasting your skin, possibly preening you. I would think she would preen your mustache and beard too though. In the summers when I'm a little sweaty my conures like to lick my skin and little Miss Ruby will lean out on my shoulder too for attention… " Look at me, look at me….LOOK AT ME!!!"

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
She looks like she's velcro'd to you she loves you so much. Congrats on getting her and turning her life around for the better.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Boy, she is cute! Mine does similar noises but more of a growl when I pull her out of my pocket or hood. I think they are adorable when they cuddle.

Katharyn Martin

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Katharyn Martin
My Senegal "mumbles" at times too. Funniest thing I've ever heard!