• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Went to the Phoenix Zoo

MsCreature

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shy
I got to see two of my dream-birds in person for the very first time! I cannot even begin to express my excitement.

The first was the Von Der Decken's Hornbill. <3 I had hoped they might be there, since hornbills are more common zoo-birds. I snapped a couple of photos.

The male was surprisingly large! I don't know if it was just typical variation or if the males are normally that much larger than the females.

I also saw a hawkhead. I was so enamored I honestly didn't want to leave. I didn't snap any photos because I was so excited to finally see one in person! Such tiny little things, and so unbelievably gorgeous. The hawkie was munching on some birdy salad and was just so calm and content. (S)he was a little curious of me, and scooted a little close, but was far more interested in food. Such an amazing experience all-in-all.

I feel like if I was offered a choice between the two birds I would likely go with a HH, just because I could feel so much more of a connection through the eyes. Such stunning birds, I'd be ecstatic to be owned by either of them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yep you can buy them online, I think I've seen them on birdbreeders. Com and Kijiji.

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Whoa. I know a lady who has a toucan, and even that blew my mind. :laugh:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Great pics! They're very active birds. I hope they were in a large enclosure. The hornbill we have at the woodland park zoo always paces his enclosure. :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The male was surprisingly large! I don't know if it was just typical variation or if the males are normally that much larger than the females.
It is normal for males to be larger than females.

Do people keep hornbills as pets? Like, in their house (not in a zoo type situation)? :jawdrop1:

I honestly had no idea that was a thing people did. I've never heard of one as a pet before.
They are more commonly kept in outdoor aviaries than in a house, however some people do keep them in large indoor cages.

Matt

MsCreature

Real Name
Shy
They had a fairly decent sized enclosure with lots and lots of hopping branches, which was good. Obviously not as big as it could be, but it was an okay zoo overall.

I believe there are one or two VDD owners on here, on is named Fiji. :] That was my first encounter with them in general, and ever since I've been smitten with the little dinos.

AidenCarter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sammy
You went... and didnt take me?! i was there a week ago with a friend! i always love going! awesome pics!

AidenCarter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sammy
OH! did you hear the snowy egretts when you were there? i love them so much. the sound they make is priceless!

MsCreature

Real Name
Shy
You went... and didnt take me?! i was there a week ago with a friend! i always love going! awesome pics!
Haha! I went with a group of people from my Univ, NAU. :] I'm new to the AZ area, currently living in Flagstaff. It was my first time to Phoenix actually!

[EDIT] YES! I did see the snowy egrets! I spent a good half hour mimicking them and trying to have conversations. Funniest things ever.

AidenCarter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sammy
the phoenix zoo is always super fun! i have a membership. and XD the snowy egretts get me laughing every time, i just love the noises they make!!

MsCreature

Real Name
Shy
It took me AGES to figure out where the warbling was coming from. I was chilling with the peafowls and finally saw them shaking a tail feather up in the trees.