• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of toys for your Finches

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
I am a new mommy to two new boy finches. I am interested to see what type of toys etc you put in there cages. Small birds are new to me. Please meet Ziggy and Zacky.

Attachments

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
My finches and canaries enjoy shredding up paper. They have fairly weak beaks, so toys that they can just peck at and jingle around would be good. Bells, beads, swings, etc.

Congrats on your gouldians (I'm assuming the bird in the back is one)! They're beautiful.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Raised Beeper a wild house finch female and she loved bells and perches, things she could sit on, make noise with, attack.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Nice goulds

Finches have an extremely high metabolism (higher than almost any other bird) so they are constantly looking for a food source.
I find the most beneficial items are those in which support their foraging/food provision and also give mental stimulation.

As mentioned, nest building and foraging is a favorite for them- but other than that- I provide:
Shredded paper- or burlap string tied to perches or cage bars
Flowers (make sure they are bird safe) the pollen is nutritious and they enjoy the shapes sizes carrying them around
Large pieces of food- a skewer of apricot and cucumber is a favorite and nutritious
Whole pieces of kale, lettuce, etc- they will pull and tear at it

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I will also add, if you are new to finches, I completed some research on the cognitive health of finches (based on zebs- however it goes the same for goulds). Supporting them nutritionally allows a higher level of brain function which is used to enjoy life, ie 'play with toys'

Cognitive health = physical health

The brain of the Zebra finch is incredibly complex, and similar to that of a human. There needs to be significant nutrition to feed the body as well as the mind which controls physical development. Jarvis (2005) confirms that the previously labelled "primitive" regions of avian brains are sophisticated processing machines- similar to those in mammals. These regions carry out sensory processing, motor control and learning. Studies have also shown that the avian and those in mammals brain regions are comparable in their genetic and biochemical machinery.

The new relationship between humans and the avian species:
Because evolution is not linear, nor are the relationships in our animals kingdom. We share a great deal with these small creatures, including 98 per cent identical proteins, differing by just eight amino acids. They share the same sequence for language learning as humans and are capable of a great deal.

If you provide them with the resources to display all of their unique characteristics, you will be rewarded with a strong bond and fascinating pet.

Exclusive seed diets are nutritionally deficient in the fat-soluble vitamins (vitamin A, D3, E, and K, several B vitamins), certain amino acids, and some minerals including calcium, iodine, zinc, copper, and iron and most importantly proteins. Therefore we need to offer our birds a more varied diet to support their mental and physical development.

CONSUMABLES:
Therefore consumables should consist of more than just a store bought seed mixture. Many suggest that your finch should have 70% seed, and 30% fresh mixture. In the wild the birds eat quite a bit of sprouted seed, buds, insects, mineral supplements, etc. Therefore this is how the finches are fed here:

50% seed, 20% sprouted seed, 20% fresh produce, 10% additives (egg food, etc) and they are offered pellets in which they prefer Harrisons superfine

Last edited by a moderator:

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
Made a swing lets see how long it takes before they jump on it, lol Bad picture will have to re-take

Attachments