• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please have them in your thoughts

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
UPDATE: 61 DAYS OLD
(steady at roughly 21 grams)

I have solved all the aesthetic mysteries (pink beak and legs, etc)

She is not a finch, she is a Hedghog. How silly we were thinking she was a bird? I have pictures of all her quills coming in, :smuggrin:
(there are so many- it is hard to get it on a photo because she wiggles a lot- unlike parrots, finches only stop moving to sleep)
photo[2].JPG

(in all reality, there is an incredible amount of pin feathers… which is unnatural. There is something in Goulds (type of finch) called a compressed moult. This seems similar, a massive moult instead of a gradual one. As if her body is playing catch-up)

I don’t see any chest pin feathers (breast bar) which she would have if she was a he (its all on her head, upper wings and tail). You can see some color changes- especially the white color going up above the eye in front of her tear mark. But the next 2 weeks I expect to see a massive change. Moulting like this is very stressful for them. I am giving her extra scritches and modified her diet recently in hopes to help.

She is nearly weaned- at about 2ml just a couple times a day (every 4 hours or so). She is making all sorts of noises (singing type)- that all sound muddled- hoping there is not an underlining issue and she would require medication as I have a business trip, and I will be gone for 4 days :eek:
Im setting up the web cam (with night vision) and of course there is a full time pet nanny. But still…

Here is a video:
Muddled vocal tones (definitely a sequence of notes when she is perched high- I think they are contentment noises when she is playing),
Exhibition of Pin feather concentration,
Destruction a ping pong ball can cause,
and proof fetch is her favorite game (this all happened in the same 5 minute period- I just put the videos together for ease of watching):
at the end she was fed up, and just wanted to be on top of my iphone

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for continuing the Saga of Saya. She is and will always be your baby. What a wonderful little feathered friend!!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Hey how is Saya doing?
Don't know. Im in Africa for the next couple days. Pet nanny says she is upset. (sometimes you wish they would just say 'everything is fantastic')
She takes a bit of formula here and there, but not much. Im hoping she is holding her weight, and will still be kick'n when I get back and I get to see her new hairdo :)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like separation anxiety

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
This story is so amazing, Everyday I just can't wait to read your new posts when I come home from the day. Keep up the good work Saya and Mom!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Saya, don't worry we all love you & momma will be home soon. Hope all is going well!

:heart::hug8::heart:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Awww! Says misses her mommy!!!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
UPDATE: 66 DAYS OLD
I returned home, and while there were some issues with other birds in the home- Saya was A-OK!!!
She remembered me... (for some reason moms worry about this all the time). I arrived 1 hour aho, and she even helped unpack my luggage.... LOL
I took some photos of her... Check out her pin feathers! and it was an uneven moult- the bald spots are gone (tail feathers are growing fast- should even out soon).
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.31.23 AM.png
She wanted 1ml of formula when I got home, and she was 20.2 grams (that is under what she was when i left)
I couldnt decide which photos to post- so here are a few:
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.31.11 AM.png

Profile- head shots:
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.29.04 AM.png

Goofy images:
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 11.27.28 AM.png

The birds from the similar clutch (that I tried to pair with her) are going through their first moult, and beaks are turning orange.
Her head is grey/biege and tan body... like her father. But of course- this means lightback or silver. I dont see a breast bar... so it makes me think female. but im waiting....

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
This story is so amazing, Everyday I just can't wait to read your new posts when I come home from the day. Keep up the good work Saya and Mom!
Thank you. I was surprised to see her in such good spirits when I arrived home...
I gave her tons of scritches until most of the pin feathers opened up... she couldn't wait to get in a good neck rub. (harder than it may seem with such a tiny tot).

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Oh I just want to kiss her little face!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
She loves that mommy and so glad to see you. She'll eat now that you are home

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can't stand the tiny cuteness!:faint:

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
It looks like Saya's beak is turning orange. It's definitely different color than 10 days ago. It's slower change, just anything else with her, but it's getting there.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
is turning
It looks like Saya's beak is turning orange. It's definitely different color than 10 days ago. It's slower change, just anything else with her, but it's getting there.
orange or red!

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
is turning orange or red!