• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the average lifespan of a Budgie?

Boyko

Meeting neighbors
I have been looking at different sites and I keep getting different answers all ranging from 5 to 20 years. For those who have had Budgies for a long time, what has been your experience?

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Most budgies live to 7-8 years, but with good care they can make it into their teens.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I've had standard budgies that lived 10 -15 years, they were the sleek standard size budgie. A healthy standard size budgie can live up to 20 years.

From what a few Breeders of the large English show birds tell me that they are lucky if their show birds live 5 years. I was told that their show birds were cross bred very often, and their breeder birds are bred long periods of time a few times a year to get the quality's in the chicks that create these beautiful show birds so this will cut down on the show birds life.

These larger show birds don't fly or get much exercise that would keep them slimmer/healthier so it brings on liver problems and illness leading to early death.

Beautiful large English Budgie.

@Cockatoo-Dust forgive me for posting your pic of Link in this thread but I want to show the difference between English budgies and standard size. :)

Standard budgie.. giving the classic "STINK EYE." :D

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our budgies have had life spans of about 8 to 9 years. The only English budgie we've ever had is Sky- who will be 11 in a couple of months...

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Mine lived about 5years. That was before we had access to the good information we have access to now. He was on an all seed diet, gravel at the bottom of the cage, small cage, he did have lots of out of cage time but I am sure all those factors helped reduce his lifespan. It was unfortunate that if I had known what I know now he maybe could have lived longer.

I miss my trixter. :(

That was over 10 years ago. The info I had access to was not as good as it is now.
Now I know to make sure I have good pelleted diet(Harrison), good seed fed in smaller quantities than the pellets, fresh fruit, veggies (organic). For all my babies.

Even my dog and cat are on a high grade veterinary diet.

Boyko

Meeting neighbors
I WANT to let mine fly around, but I'm waiting for my newly out of quarentine Blu the Blue Bodgie (original, I know:rolleyes:) to settle in a little more.
Before he was in there if I opened the gate and waited (all windows covered and shut, no shiny reflective surfaces, small room), they just sat on their perch or played with their toys.:confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you don't look after it very well it's not going to have a long life (hopefully 5 years). If you look after it very well it can live to be 20 years old.

If it comes from a weak bloodline it's will die much younger than a bird that comes from a strong bloodline.

It's all circumstantial. There is no rule.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I WANT to let mine fly around, but I'm waiting for my newly out of quarentine Blu the Blue Bodgie (original, I know:rolleyes:) to settle in a little more.
Before he was in there if I opened the gate and waited (all windows covered and shut, no shiny reflective surfaces, small room), they just sat on their perch or played with their toys.:confused:
Although my Budgies have an "open door" policy with their cage,they rarely come out and fly around the room. It's a real trip when they do come out for a spin, though...three little buzz bombs diving all around....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I discussed this very question with my avian vet and he gave me an answer. He said so many things depend on the way the bird was raised. "Your luck if you get them for 5 years".

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I'm guessing it's the same as it is for lovebirds, in that there are many factors and it isn't so simple as any bird having an expiration date.

Meaning, birds with a poor diet, poor care, or just unlucky genetics (health issues they are born with beyond our control) will be the ones that only survive to the short end of their lifespan estimates (for budgies, 5-7 years.)
Birds who get good care and are normal genetically will live into the average estimates for their species (for budgies, probably 10-18ish years.)
Some birds seem to be abnormally healthy (the human equivalent being someone who lives to or beyond 120) and receive amazing care will live to what is generally considered the maximum possible lifespan. (For budgies, I'm going to guess the mid 20s?)
Every once a while too there will be a bird that defies all odds, and despite generally lacking care and a poor diet at some point in it's life it still manages to live beyond what we would expect (but they are a rarity.)

So all we can do with our little ones is the best care we can provide. A healthy diet, lots of enrichment, the opportunity to exercise, and love them like they deserve.

It's something I had been reading into a lot, and discussing with my AV, since my lovebird turned 10. (She will be 15 in May, which is generally considered the average for her species.)

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
@Mr Peepers i don't mind at all that you used the pic of Link :)
Haha, is that SPX giving the stink eye there? :lol:

Boyko

Meeting neighbors
I know there isn't an experiation date, I just like to know when "old age" illness/problems are likely to start. I have no experience with senior birds, only mammals (horses, dogs and goats mostly).

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Boo my English budgie sadly died just before he was 14 years old through an accident in which he broke his leg - he died on the operating table the next day. All our English budgies have lived to between 10 and 15 years old. My vet's budgie lived until he was 20 years old. I think with the amount of info re nutrition available nowadays more should live longer.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
With a poor diet and care, budgies can be seniors at 6 years old.

With a great diet and great care, they may not reach senior age until they are 12+ years old!

Unfortunately, most of my budgies didn't live very long lives. :( Had one die at 9 years old, and I was his second home. He supposedly died due to an illness found on a farm, according to necropsy. I don't know if it's something I brought home on myself, something that was on their food, or maybe if his body somehow got contaminated by the illness by the place that did the necropsy. He was the only one that got sick with it, and the only symptom of the illness listed? Sudden death. :sad2: Had another budgie that I think passed away at 10 or 11 years old from testicular cancer. I was his third home.

The others I had died at younger ages due to illness or accidents, except for the last 5 budgies I had (all hens), which I ended up rehoming. (after making sure none were sick) I rehomed 4 first, then the last hen a while later. (different groups of budgies that weren't housed together) Out of those 5 budgies, only two were not rehomes. (bought from a breeder) If any of them are still alive, the oldest ones should be about 12 years old now.

I decided that budgies aren't for me, unless I could have an outside aviary of purple budgies! Exercise alone can help reduce a multitude of health issues from occurring! And sunlight is quite healthy for them! An outside aviary is a no go at my current location. :(

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think it depends largely on genetics - and also on exercise. I'm sure diet is a factor as well, but some of the longest-lived budgies have been birds on a seed-based diet.
English budgies do tend to have a shorter lifespan than well-bred American budgies also a lot of the American budgies you see in large pet stores are mill-bred birds and often very short lived. An American budgie from a decent breeder is the best for potential lifespan. Or a 1/2 English 1/2 American cross which are also reasonably common (not a hybrid - just a mixed breed).

I've also read - I'm not sure how true it is - that if a budgie makes it past 4 yrs without a tumor, it has a very good chance to live a long life, but most get tumors before then. My little guy Pippin made it to about 3 1/2 but then started getting tumors. He still made it to 7 yrs old and was a very happy and active little guy even with tumors.

Boyko

Meeting neighbors
With a poor diet and care, budgies can be seniors at 6 years old.

With a great diet and great care, they may not reach senior age until they are 12+ years old!

Unfortunately, most of my budgies didn't live very long lives. :( Had one die at 9 years old, and I was his second home. He supposedly died due to an illness found on a farm, according to necropsy. I don't know if it's something I brought home on myself, something that was on their food, or maybe if his body somehow got contaminated by the illness by the place that did the necropsy. He was the only one that got sick with it, and the only symptom of the illness listed? Sudden death. :sad2: Had another budgie that I think passed away at 10 or 11 years old from testicular cancer. I was his third home.

The others I had died at younger ages due to illness or accidents, except for the last 5 budgies I had (all hens), which I ended up rehoming. (after making sure none were sick) I rehomed 4 first, then the last hen a while later. (different groups of budgies that weren't housed together) Out of those 5 budgies, only two were not rehomes. (bought from a breeder) If any of them are still alive, the oldest ones should be about 12 years old now.

I decided that budgies aren't for me, unless I could have an outside aviary of purple budgies! Exercise alone can help reduce a multitude of health issues from occurring! And sunlight is quite healthy for them! An outside aviary is a no go at my current location. :(
Sorry about your guys.:sorrow:

I have mine on a large windowsill thing (about a foot across) with the the curtain halfway opened so they get sunlight and shade when they need it, I feed them Zupreem, a little millet and fresh fruit and veg. They also get alot of out of cage time. But, two came from Petsmart and one was from a good feedstore, so we'll see. :sad14:

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Sorry about your guys.:sorrow:

I have mine on a large windowsill thing (about a foot across) with the the curtain halfway opened so they get sunlight and shade when they need it, I feed them Zupreem, a little millet and fresh fruit and veg. They also get alot of out of cage time. But, two came from Petsmart and one was from a good feedstore, so we'll see. :sad14:

Budgies need direct sunshine for them to get vitamin D that the sun provides the birds, the UV rays producing the vitamins do not go through window glass. Since I can't take my birds outside to give them direct sunlight I purchased a UV lamp so the birds can get the vitamin D they need all year round.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
If you don't look after it very well it's not going to have a long life (hopefully 5 years). If you look after it very well it can live to be 20 years old.

If it comes from a weak bloodline it's will die much younger than a bird that comes from a strong bloodline.

It's all circumstantial. There is no rule.
Even when looked after properly there's no hard and fast rule. Genetics can be your enemy, as JLcribber has said. My Nim was on a good diet, had access to excellent veterinary care and was given every luxury I could afford, but because she was likely from a very inbred line (as most pet store budgies are), she got cancer and died at a mere 3.5 years of age. My vet recommends keeping a close eye on young budgies because that seems to be an age when some birds get tumors. Watch their weight!