• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If only we could save them all.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I had to go into one of those pet store chains to get dog food and a travel cage for Rhema. It is a beautiful afternoon and the website had the cage I use for Roma on sale. I always like to visit with the bird room when I am in there. They have 2 beautiful blue Quakers (Ben & Jerry), a female IRN (Xerxes), and the gorgeous blue headed Pionus (Sky) that I fell in love with. Ben, Jerry, and Xerxes have been there at least 7 months. And all three were marked half off today!!

Ben has been very sweet and has been letting me scratch his head and open a bunch of pin feathers the last few times I have been in. Such a sweetie!! But today something was not right with him. He was laying in the bottom of his cage. Hubs and I both were very concerned about how he didn't show much concern for what was going on around him or even get up when we went to scritch his head. Eyes half closed the whole time. I went and got one of the employees, who went and got one of the managers.

Manager comes in and the look of concern on his face was semi comforting. He may actually care for these beauties. He was concerned when he saw Ben laying on the bottom. He immediately opened the cage, which got Ben to get up and waddle to the door for attention. Said he had just been in less than an hour before and had seen Ben eating quite well and acting very normal then.

He owns a white belly Caique himself and has had several parakeets. He told me Ben had actually been bought twice and returned both times. The first time was a college student who charged the purchases to Mom's credit card. When mom found out, he was forced to bring the bird back. The second time was a family who brought him back because Ben was "not getting along with thier kids".

Anyway, the manager promised to keep a close eye on Ben the rest of the day and make sure the second shift was aware that he needed to be watched closely. He told me which local vet they use and if that one was not availlable, if Ben needed to be taken in, he would call his personal vet, who is almost always available. He and I use the same AV, which was very comforting!!

While we were talking, Ben was climbing on the outside of the cage, loving all the scritches, and even grabbed my finger and acted like he was going to regurgitate for me. The manager thought that was a good sign that I should take him home. Even Hubs was enamored by this sweet beauty and actually considered it for about 30 minutes. Even joked that we could become one of those crazy bird people and just tear down a window and make one of those big indoor/outdoor Aviaries! I wish!!

I wish we could just save them all!! I am big on the adopting instead of pet store purchasing. I know they will just buy more and the next batch of them will sit there for another 7 months, in cages that are too small, with very few toys, no fresh fruits and veggies, lots of fingers being poked into thier cages, and no real loving interaction. It just breaks my heart.

I will be calling them tomorrow and asking this manager how Ben is doing. And I did thoroughly wash hands and arms when I got home, just in case little Ben was sick. I had also used hand sanitizer as soon as I left the bird room to make sure I didn't transfer anything to my clothes or purchases.

Last edited:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I think Ben is in trouble. I'm glad you washed your hands, but I wish that you'd left your clothes outside at the door as well. Chances are that you didn't bring anything in, but boy.... If I saw a bird lying on the floor of the cage I'd be worried. I'm glad the manager seemed like a bird person.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I think Ben is in trouble. I'm glad you washed your hands, but I wish that you'd left your clothes outside at the door as well. Chances are that you didn't bring anything in, but boy.... If I saw a bird lying on the floor of the cage I'd be worried. I'm glad the manager seemed like a bird person.
I was very careful to only touch him with my hands and not open his pin feathers to avoid the dander flying around. He is in heavy molt right now and very much a pin head. Think I should go ahead and change clothes?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was very careful to only touch him with my hands and not open his pin feathers to avoid the dander flying around. He is in heavy molt right now and very much a pin head. Think I should go ahead and change clothes?
I make a habit of pitching my clothes right into the wash and taking a shower before I get anywhere near my birds after I go to the vet, a pet store with birds, etc.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
While adopting is wonderful, I am also okay with getting a baby out of any situation that needs help. Laying at the bottom is not a good sign. I hope he is okay...

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I'm sorry, but when you see any bird that is looking sick you should slowly back out of the place, when you come to the door, turn around and run out then treat yourself as 'contaminated'. Strip off all clothes, take a shower, washing hair, under nails, blowing the nose, washing ears, EVERYWHERE. Disinfect your shoes and getting your clothes into the washer. Washing your hands and arms is just not enough as you have no clue what that bird has going on and what you just brought home with you.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
My main concern would be psittacosis or other respiratory issues. Most chain stores don't test their birds (even if they say they do) and those that do test will send, for example, one budgie out of a cage of many to the vet. Psittacosis is actually a really dangerous disease for people, too, and if it's found in a bird the store would need to be shut down (it's what's called a reportable illness, meaning the state veterinarian gets a call). While it's unlikely you brought anything into the house, it's always a good idea to keep any clothes you wore away from your birds, etc.

When I work (I work temporarily at a pet store) I do not interact with my bird until I've cleaned myself from head to toe and the clothes have been popped in the wash. I also blow my nose while showering, etc.

Inky

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah Tidwell
At least this is a store that takes back the birds that don't work out. Many pet stores refuse to outright. There are good breeders and bad breeders, and bad pet stores and good pet stores who actually care for their animals...and it sounds as though these people care.

Its also possible that Ben had a very busy morning, and was simply very tired. Maybe he chooses to zone out like that. At the clinic I used to work for we had a rescued WBC who liked to sleep on his back upside down...lol scared the devil out of me until I learned it was a regular thing.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I called the store and checked on Ben today. He is doing fine and acting like he should. Maybe he did have an exciting morning and was just comfie. I had to go into a shop next door for work this morning and was afraid to stop in and check on him, but curiosity got the better of me and I called as soon as I got home this evening. Good to know he is okay, but a vet visit would sure make me stop worrying about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.