• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Runny poo for more than a month

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
So this is what her poop looked like last night. It hasn't been like this for really really long! Even though her poop sometimes goes back to normal, it never looked like this. This is what it used to look like way back then. Sorry I know it's gross to take poop picturer lol. The second dropping looks big because my sister was checking if it was really Koyals poo.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
Try giving them nutriberries; they're technically nutritionally complete (though I recommend they be given with pellets and healthy fruits\veggies too) and have the vitamins regular seed lacks. It's a start for sure. If they will eat pellets, I recommend feeding the berries with the pellets.

Have you tried fresh parsley... our vet says the 'tiels and budgies only like foods that are crunchy.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
That's amazing! Where can you find nutriberries?

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
Most pet stores sell them. I usually recommend them in conjunction with high-quality pellets (Harrison's, Roudybush, maybe Zupreem) and fresh fruits\veggies. Nutriberries are a complete diet (they were the only food my budgie would eat) but variety is better and they are pretty rich, so some birds get fat on them. My vet recommends them and I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I've found even reluctant eaters will go for the berries! They're a really good transition food at the least.

LRous

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lori
Have you got kitchen scales? Its a simple way to monitor there weight so if something goes wrong you have a good reference point to refer to when symptoms may have started.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sprouts require 8-12 hours of soaking, then anywhere from 1-5 days to sprout, depending upon the sprout mix and your location. Sprouts grow faster when it's warm.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Pentameter, I haven't fed my birds parsley but I can try and see If they like it.
LRous- I might have kitchen scales.
Monica- It is warm here so I'm gonna try to grow sprouts. Don't you need seeds for sprouts?

One thing I've noticed is how much water she drinks in a day. She usually has 6-8 sips of water in the mornings and 5-7 at night. I feel like she's drinking too much water because small birds only dirnk a couple of sips in a day. I just hope she doesn't have a kidney problem. Her poop is not that bad at night but it just turns really liquidy when she wakes up and drinks too much water and gets really hyper and excited. I know that birds are really good at hiding their sickness but she doesn't show any signs of sickness. She looks very strong and healthy, her feathers don't look yellow or satiny. If it's been more than 50 days shouldn't I being seeing any signs of sickness?The only abnormal thing she has is her poop. It just doesn't make any sense to me, and I just wish I knew what was wrong with her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If her poops are watery right after she drinks and when she gets excited, I think that's normal. My tiel too will have watery poops after he drinks and also, for instance, when I first got home from work because he's all excited to see me.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Sunnysmom- yeah could be it. It's just that she drinks too many sips of water in just one sitting and that makes her poop stay like that all day long. I'm just really confused because I already know that the vet is gonna be no help. I just hope that she doesn't have any kind of infection. I've already tried baytril and benebac and they didn't work.

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I found that my cockatiels liked to eat leafy things. They didn't like thicker vegetables. I fed them:

Dandelion (Leaves, roots, flower, stem, everything)
Chickweed (make sure you identify the plant correctly)
Kale
Spinach
Herbs (mint, thyme, etc. that I had growing in my garden)
Lettuce
Broccoli (easy to pick the little ends off)
Carrot (shredded very finely)
Corn (it's sweet and soft)

It's not a complete diet, but it's something to start with. My cockatiels were picky eaters at first too.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
Thanks Drini, I chop the carrots into little pieces but my birds would not even touch the food, they would rather starve themselves. So I'm going to shred the carrots very finely and see if they if eat it.

krupali

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
krupali
A little update. For the .past two days.I have been giving my birds more pellets and only 10% seeds. What did I was I crushed the pellets into little piece because I figured that that's easiest way to feed them pellets. They actually ate pellets for the first time! Koyal's poop has changed back to normal and I saw a difference. I hope it stays like this.