• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

double macaw cage question

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
bump:D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't have this cage but it appears the divider does stick up and would be extra cleaning. What concerns me more is they do not list the brand of the cage. I would not trust the quality without knowing the brand.

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
thanks guys! and I agree about the brand have seen that design in several brands including kings. Karen - is there a way you could post a close up pic of that part of the cage?

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
THANKS SO MUCH ! - that isn't as bad as the other double macaw cage I saw - I think I could drape a towel over it or something.

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
Karen, How do you like this cage? I just ordered a HQ 80x40 and it probably is designed the same way.

edit: Is the A&E better than the HQ? They look identical online. Just wondering if I should have gotten the A&E through Wayfair even though it's $200 more. I have not paid for the cage as I will be picking it up at a bird fair in December. It will be boxed. lol.

Kelli, have you purchased a cage already? Just to give you a heads up Don Price of Birds and More out of TN will sell a HQ 80x40 for $775 at a bird show if you call in advance before the price goes up. Wayfair sells the A&E for $979 and they sell out quickly so you have to watch when they are in stock.

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I had 2 similar double macaw cages in use for several years, one housing a pair of lorikeets, the other my sun conure. Needless to say, especially with lorikeets squirty poops, I found that area to a pain to clean. I had a u-shaped piece of Perspex custom made as a cover for that section and it made life easier. Also I read of a member's macaw here (Ziggy???) falling badly on that section, so I think it's good to pad that area too, if you think you're bird might sometimes be a little clumsy.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Karen, How do you like this cage? I just ordered a HQ 80x40 and it probably is designed the same way.

edit: Is the A&E better than the HQ? They look identical online. Just wondering if I should have gotten the A&E through Wayfair even though it's $200 more. I have not paid for the cage as I will be picking it up at a bird fair in December. It will be boxed. lol.
I have had my Double Macaw cage for 10 years. Other than a loose wheel it has been perfect and has held up well. While I have been very pleased with this older HQ purchase from so many years ago I was not happy with a recent (a few years ago) HQ purchase of some smaller cages. So I don't know if the cages were made better many years ago or if I just got a bad batch of cages with my last HQ purchase. I think you'll be happy with the 80x40. IMO the Double Macaw which is 32" deep just isn't big enough for a Macaw. 40" will be so much better!

An upside of purchasing through Wayfair is the cage can be returned or they will refund a percentage of money if the cage is damaged.

I have always been of the opinion that HQ is better quality than A&E. I'm surprised you're seeing the A&E being listed for more money than the HQ usually it's the HQ that has the higher price tag.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had 2 similar double macaw cages in use for several years, one housing a pair of lorikeets, the other my sun conure. Needless to say, especially with lorikeets squirty poops, I found that area to a pain to clean. I had a u-shaped piece of Perspex custom made as a cover for that section and it made life easier. Also I read of a member's macaw here (Ziggy???) falling badly on that section, so I think it's good to pad that area too, if you think you're bird might sometimes be a little clumsy.
I screwed in a piece of acrylic about 5 inches wide to cover that area. In the picture I posted in my earlier post I didn't have the acrylic in the cage but you'll notice the screw holes. The ledge would stop any poops or food from going in the center area which a pain to clean and made it a better landing area.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I screwed in a piece of acrylic about 5 inches wide to cover that area. In the picture I posted in my earlier post I didn't have the acrylic in the cage but you'll notice the screw holes. The ledge would stop any poops or food from going in the center area which a pain to clean and made it a better landing area.
Other than the fact mine wasn't screwed in place, that sounds very similar to what I did. Mine just sat in place (as it was U shaped to completely envelope the area). Definitely easier to clean and a better/safer landing place.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have this cage. Stuff does collect within the center slider area, but it's not anything that a power washer can't easily take care of.
Shaylor LOVES his cage. Overall I'm very happy with it.