• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smaller cage or Larger cage

CrestieLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ellen
Is it normal for a caique to prefer a smaller cage? I noticed Larry was more active in the small outside cage than in his cage in the house which is 36x32x21. Still I want a larger cage -so I ordered on that is 38.25x38.25x65 with a playtop.

I found a nice one on Craigslist that I bought yesterday. It is a corner cage the front is only 40 & 32 tall.

Below is a picture of his on the left & corner cage on right - he seems to like the smaller cage better. And a pic of the one that will be here tomorrow.

Has anyone else heard of this before? Please let me know your thoughts. 20150329_194317.jpg Screenshot_2015-03-28-18-24-59.png

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How long has he had the new cage? My caique loves to go into new cages (other bird's cages) to hang out and play. It might be the novelty of the new cage that he is enjoying right now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is it normal for a caique to prefer a smaller cage? I noticed Larry was more active in the small outside cage than in his cage in the house which is 36x32x21. Still I want a larger cage -so I ordered on that is 38.25x38.25x65 with a playtop.

Of course he's more active "outside" than inside. It doesn't have anything to do with the cage IMO. It has to do with being outside. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Birds have so much fun when they are outside of cage.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It is normal for caiques to sometimes prefer what we would call cramped spaces.

For sleeping, my gang of 11 would prefer to huddle up together in under a cage cover rather than use multiple next boxes.
For breeding, breeders have reported better results from smaller breeding cages, the birds appear to feel more secure

In the summer, I create a tent effect in a large bright aviary by placing a mobile aircon unit under a couple of cages and covering them. When I get home, I will find all the gang in there.

IMHO they are creatures of the tree canopy shadows. They like the shade, they like the security, particularly when resting

When they are NOT resting, they need the space of a huge tree in a brazilian rainforest, or the closest thing we can supply.

JP

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
I think as per PP's, if you set up the new cage with busy toys/perches and provide an area where he can huddle up on his own for rest and sleep time, he will probably take to it better.

Our Caique's cage is so busy - he loves sleeping on top of his Q-Bert bed, so his head hits the top of his cage LOL.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congrats on the new cage. Be sure to post pics of your caique in it so people can see how it looks. :)

CrestieLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ellen
Here it is! I have moved the corner one to the bedroom upstairs - keeping it too.

I took off the playtop because he has a playgym or he's with me wherever I am. I think it looks better without it. 20150405_151619.jpg

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Looks geat! How are you liking the cage?

CrestieLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ellen
@rockybird, for the $ it's great. I would have preferred white but all this cage came in was brown. Normal price was 299. I paid only $191. It was on sale plus I got another 20% off when I signed up for emails. It will do until I can find a corner cage that is large enough & I can get at a reasonable price.