• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Senior Years

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I have noticed for a little while since Bodie turned 16 that is takes a little longer in the morning to wake up and start eating. Does anybody else notice this with their senior birdies?

Sam-wow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matt
Sam is 24 in July. Lifespan is 35ish. I haven't noticed any changes. I was hoping he would mellow out a little in his elder years but that has not happened yet !

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I haven't noticed that but what I have noticed is that Sunny wants to go to bed a lot earlier- really since his stroke this past summer. He used to happily stay up until 8:30-9:00. Now, 7:00 and he's done. Which bums me out because often I don't get home from work until close to then. But I guess our senior birdies need their sleep.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I haven't noticed that but what I have noticed is that Sunny wants to go to bed a lot earlier- really since his stroke this past summer. He used to happily stay up until 8:30-9:00. Now, 7:00 and he's done. Which bums me out because often I don't get home from work until close to then. But I guess our senior birdies need their sleep.
Sometimes Bodie is ready for bed and sometimes I will put him in his habitat and he wants out! I can not figure him out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You just want what's best for him. It's natural. :) He could still be adjusting to the time change too.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
@sunnysmom Michelle how old is Sunny? Did you see any linger effects from his stroke besides the early bedtime?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@sunnysmom Michelle how old is Sunny? Did you see any linger effects from his stroke besides the early bedtime?
Sunny is 18. When he initially had the stroke, he couldn't fly and his one wing drooped down. The vet predicted that by the end of the week, he'd be flying again as he said tiels tend to recover pretty quickly from strokes. His stroke happened first thing in the morning. By that evening, although I tried to keep him from flying, he was able to fly a very short distance. Within three days of his stroke, you never would have guessed anything had happened- but for the bedtime thing. He started getting tired much earlier in the evening than before. He still gets up at basically the same time in the morning.