• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lories Limited & EMR Exotics

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Anyone ever dealt with them? I've been trying to get in contact with Chris with Lories Limited to no avail.. She seems like the go-to lady for Lories and Lorikeets, however I've heard she's beyond difficult to get into contact with. :/ I almost wonder if she's gone out of business since her page hasn't been updated in nearly a year...

Also, I did get into contact with Eve at EMR Exotic Bird Breeder. Any personal experience with her? Good/bad feedback to give?

On top of wanting a personal flock member Lory/Lorikeet, whether it be a weaned baby or, preferably, a rescue/rehome, I'm thinking maybe I can put my love of babies and handfeeding to good use. Maybe I should breed Lories and Lorikeets to preserve them as pets in the US, because once they're gone, they're gone for good. Importation from other countries is banned, so the ones currently captive in the pet trade in the US are the only ones left here, unless people preserve them. They are gorgeous, personable, and a delight to be around, I can't imagine them disappearing here in America. Sure, the zoos would probably still have them for many many years, but us parronts aren't ever guaranteed anything.

Anyways, feedback on these two? Or does anyone know of a lory/lorikeet that needs a soft place to land? Or does anyone here breed them?

sonja

Jogging around the block
I got a pair of birds from Eve perhaps a year ago. Very smooth transaction.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't have any experience with the breeders you mentioned, but I just wanted to add that lories/lorikeets do seem to be in the decline as pets. They are seen as higher maintenance and messier birds - although they really aren't much higher maintenance than other parrots with the one exception that is it more important that they get their fresh fruit/veggies/nectar every day... even if fed pellets, the pellets should be moistened and need to be treated as fresh food.
A few of the most showy. easy to breed species are still quite commonly bred, but there are also some that are all but nonexistent in the US. I'm rather partial to the Goldie's lorikeet - a beautiful, very small lorikeet that is shy and gentle (for a lory) and supposedly less messy than many lory species as nectar is not as big a part of their diet. But, sadly, they seem impossible to find anymore - for all I know, there are no breeders left. It's a shame that the species with better pet qualities are often forgotten in favor of the more colorful and showy species like the rainbows.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I don't have any experience with the breeders you mentioned, but I just wanted to add that lories/lorikeets do seem to be in the decline as pets. They are seen as higher maintenance and messier birds - although they really aren't much higher maintenance than other parrots with the one exception that is it more important that they get their fresh fruit/veggies/nectar every day... even if fed pellets, the pellets should be moistened and need to be treated as fresh food.
A few of the most showy. easy to breed species are still quite commonly bred, but there are also some that are all but nonexistent in the US. I'm rather partial to the Goldie's lorikeet - a beautiful, very small lorikeet that is shy and gentle (for a lory) and supposedly less messy than many lory species as nectar is not as big a part of their diet. But, sadly, they seem impossible to find anymore - for all I know, there are no breeders left. It's a shame that the species with better pet qualities are often forgotten in favor of the more colorful and showy species like the rainbows.
Due to this I was thinking of taking my love of raising babies and wanting to breed and putting it to good use by preserving lorikeets in the US. I told my friend, once they're gone, that's it. Importation is illegal, so once a certain species has died out in the US, they're gone for good unless they miraculously become less strict about importation... which is highly doubtful.

I've tried so hard to get in contact with Chris Touchton to no avail... Part of me wants to say maybe she's no longer breeding them, which is a real shame...

What I would really love to have is a Blue Streaked... I've looked but I simply can't find any... I know there's a rescue with a pair up for adoption, but they're out of state, so I'd have to book a stay, and even then their website seems to suggest they won't let me choose and work with them to see how it goes. The website seems to suggest they're the matchmaker types; ones that want to pick what species may be best for you.

Aside from Chris Touchton with Lories Limited, EMR, Fancy Feathers, and a few others had Lories right now, but the only one that didn't just have a Rainbow variety was EMR with two Black Cap babies. I think Rainbows are gorgeous, and I've had interactions with Black Caps, they're awesome lories, but I really love Blue Streaks.

For now I've decided not to settle and will save my money. Getting a Black Cap, though I also love them, would be settling because I can't find what I really want... I'll give Matt a look, thanks for the suggestion. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Best birds has lories, too. They've advertised black lories and black caps. Also, look into Dick Schroeder of Cuttlebone Plus.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
@Daema
If you ever start breeding Lorikeets that'd be awesome because I wish they weren't so hard to find here in the US. Of course everyone else might give you a hard time, I do believe with Lories it is a bit of an exception with the over breeding. Very few rescues get them - and when they do, they get snatched up really quick.

You can also check out some of EMR's reviews here: Lories and Lorikeets for Sale though be warned that premium breeders can show/hide bad reviews.

Last edited:

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
There's a Goldie's at a local pet shop here in Toronto, and it's adorable!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a Goldie's at a local pet shop here in Toronto, and it's adorable!
There was a Goldies at Big Al's Scarborough for the longest time too! Reminded me of Ophelia... I wanted to take her home lol

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
There was a Goldies at Big Al's Scarborough for the longest time too! Reminded me of Ophelia... I wanted to take her home lol
The breeder I got Watson/Dawson from occasionally has Goldie's.