• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Substitutes for Cable Chewers

'Tielly Tally

Sitting on the front steps
I have a cockatiel who is specifically drawn to cables. Of course, this is a problem. I've had to wrap many cables with vet wrap in the places he got to them before I could stop him. He seems to like the texture more than anything else. I haven't really found any substitutes he's taken to. I've tried using heat shrink rubber around straws to replicate the feel, but no dice. Does anyone have any suggestions or successes?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We wrap in electrical tape then put those black ribbed cord protectors over that. Doesn't stop em,,,,but slows em down..:confused:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Oh wait, are you looking for a toy that is similar to chew? Have you tried different kinds of straws? I've seen toys made from the normal and really thick ones.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I know people use foam pieces for toys and even chunks of pool noodles. Maybe that texture would interest him?

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
There is a nontoxic chord that is used fir making little girls friendship bracelets. You can chime into your inner child and braid pieces together.

Also, in ghe plumbing section of your hardware store there is plastic bendable clear hose. I have bought that and put colored paper inside.

I used weed wacker chord before too. Very strong.

Check manufacturers fir everything, so you know the composition. Also know your bird... Some just 'poke' and some shred like crazy.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Since he is a cockatiel, I would look at some of these bird friendly items and see which you think he may like: Poly Rope & Leather Cord for Bird Toy Making (My Safe Bird Store) , Rope in cotton, sisal, seagrass and more for bird toys! (Blu's Bird Toys) , Largest Selection of Bird Toy Parts on The Web CA Bird Nerds (CA Bird Nerds) , Natural Cotton, Sisal, Leather, Paper, Poly Rope for Making Parrot and Bird Toys (Things for Wings). There are many other vendors that sell similar/ the same products as well that I did not mean to miss. I would personally go with a cord/rope in a bright color to get him interested in it. If he seem to have a favorite color, I would start there.

@Jan , @calibird , @Danita

Matt

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Since he is a cockatiel, I would look at some of these bird friendly items and see which you think he may like: Poly Rope & Leather Cord for Bird Toy Making (My Safe Bird Store) , Rope in cotton, sisal, seagrass and more for bird toys! (Blu's Bird Toys) , Largest Selection of Bird Toy Parts on The Web CA Bird Nerds (CA Bird Nerds) , Natural Cotton, Sisal, Leather, Paper, Poly Rope for Making Parrot and Bird Toys (Things for Wings). There are many other vendors that sell similar/ the same products as well that I did not mean to miss. I would personally go with a cord/rope in a bright color to get him interested in it. If he seem to have a favorite color, I would start there.

@Jan , @calibird , @Danita

Matt
Thank you Matt.

ILoveBirds77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
not sure if this was the brightest idea, but me and my boyfriend, just gave our cockatiel angel his own wires to chew on on top of his cage, then he stays away from the live ones. I mean he will still crawl over to my desk and chew on my galaxy S5 charger, but when i catch him i yell no to him, and he has not done it for a long time. There are no marks on my cord. he likes to play with the wires on his cage though. I noticed he doesn't pay with the wires inside the cord, he chews off the rubber coating then hes done, and he doesn't swallow it either. I know cause there is always a giant pile of wire coating on the floor of this cage. and one wire has lasted him FOREVER! he did chew a cheap $1 pair of head phones to nothing though.
just a thought. might not be the best thing for every bird, but I know it was the answer for my bird.

LRous

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lori
not sure if this was the brightest idea, but me and my boyfriend, just gave our cockatiel angel his own wires to chew on on top of his cage, then he stays away from the live ones. I mean he will still crawl over to my desk and chew on my galaxy S5 charger, but when i catch him i yell no to him, and he has not done it for a long time. There are no marks on my cord. he likes to play with the wires on his cage though. I noticed he doesn't pay with the wires inside the cord, he chews off the rubber coating then hes done, and he doesn't swallow it either. I know cause there is always a giant pile of wire coating on the floor of this cage. and one wire has lasted him FOREVER! he did chew a cheap $1 pair of head phones to nothing though.
just a thought. might not be the best thing for every bird, but I know it was the answer for my bird.

ARE YOU CRAZY!! Does heavy metal poisoning pop into your head at all?
Please stop allowing your bird to play with them as a toy...

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
I LITERALLY screamed at that god awful suggestion. Have you no idea what you are reinforcing by giving him his "own" cables? He's still chewing right through them and you're allowing him to get at those wires too. Animals don't differentiate one wire from another - they're all wires. If you let them chew one, there's nothing in their mind that says "this one is OK, this one isn't".

I would be more inclined to hide the cables - sensibility would say to charge your phone somewhere else unseen to the birds, for example. All my wires are tied in a bundle and run behind my desk where the birds can't get, but the PVC covering is a great idea too. If it's a texture thing, my birds LOVE the shape and the rubbery, squishy texture of these Cal Sea Yum toys: Prevue Pet Products Cal Sea Yum Bird Toy | Toys | PetSmart

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
This makes me sad.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Please note that when he is chewing through the wires he is most likely chipping off small bits of the copper wire. Copper is very soft and easy to gouge small chips off with a birds sharp beak. I am not sure what copper will do to him but I can't imagine it is good

ILoveBirds77

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hope
Oh ok, yea maybe I should remove the wires then, i know one of the wires he has its not like that, its got thick wires inside.

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Try some twigs. If you have access to bird safe, unsprayed trees or shrubs try some small twigs/branches. If they are fresh the bark will peel off very similar to a cable wire. Easy and the price is right :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes Hope, it's a good idea to remove those wires. Heavy metal poisoning is a very real threat.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Rex lace might be a suitable replacement. My quaker loves it.