• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More updates

jaja87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Justin Dockery
Hey there, been a while since I posted any updates on Simba.

the DNA sexing came back and he is indeed a male CAG. Its super nice to know the gender for peace of mind :)

he's down to 2 feedings a day morning and night (has been refusing the afternoon feeding consistently so we dropped it (was wasting formula because he'd just spit it out).

he fledged about a week ago and loved to practice flying (makes trying to train a lot harder though cause he just wants to fly away (has no attention span at the moment). I'm wondering if I should just hold off on formal training until he's been weaned for a while.

the only thing is pellets do not really interest him, give him some kale and carrots and he goes nuts! although it's still hard to tell if he's eating it or destroying it.

I want him to explore eating on his own more. it gets a little frustrating offering him so much choice to eat but he's more interested in sitting in his cage resting or wanting to come out (clinging to the side of the cage waiting impatiently to be let out lol).

I'll take some more pics of him a bit later.

jaja87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Justin Dockery
Oh and ps. Does anyone's Greys like to be on the bottom of the cage? Simba seems to like being down there rather than on a perch. I can put in a bowl of fresh veggies and put him on a perch close to it and he'll completely ignore it and climb down and take a nap or chicken scratch.

RachaelR

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rachael Rawlings
Isaac likes the bottom of the cage because he can tear up papers!!

greyeyes

Moving in
I always bring Gemma to the island counter in the kitchen with her bowl of food at meal time. She has her own pink Winnie the poo bowl. She too will fling out a lot of food and usually will focus on one or two veggies each meal time but I still give her a good choice of stuff so she can decide what she wants to eat from her fresh mix. There is a lot of waste. Still trying to weed down to enough variety without tons of waste. But I think that's how she forages too. Sometimes I'll even cut into a mango or some bigger fruit and put it down for her to just rip into. She flings a lot of that too but she sure enjoys herself.
image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments