• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zuni back to the vet

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
The vet doesn't think MRSA because he wouldn't be having a positive reaction to the Baytril at all. Also, where would he GET it? Is it possible we could grow it here in the house? I'm thinking of the fact that Jim & Zuni started this thing where Zuni liked to be vacuumed with the nozzle. This is the vacuum cleaner we use in the bird room, and I kept pointing out to Jim that I thought it was disgusting. I mean, we keep things pretty clean, but that thing has vacuumed up old food and just being in the bird room it has come into contact with bird poop. Jim himself brought this up as a possible cause when this all started. Zuni is a famous soup maker in our house. 4 out of 6 birds make soup in their water, and Zuni is one of the worst. Could MRSA grow out of something like that?

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
I did some research on MRSA and it is possible that MRSA was transmitted from the vacuum cleaner nozzle to Zuni. I don't know how the vacuum could have gotten MRSA on it though... But it's a very likely possibility. :( Hope Zuni ends up okay!!!

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
If the vacuum nozzle was a transmitter, it would mean that we are growing it in our house. That's my question. Could the right combination of yucky stuff create staph?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I dón't know if you knew, but Hank had a MRSA infection in his throat about three years before he died. It was very serious and one of only two times my vet told me that I was likely to lose my big boy. MRSA is now almost rampant and there are only a couple of antibiotics that it is still sensitive to. It took four months to heal Hank and Doxycycline was the drug that got it. SMP-TMZ is the preferred drug, but Hank was deathly allergic to it. My vet says that he has 10-12 cases of MRSA in birds per year.

MRSA is probably not resident in your house, but was probably brought in by you or your husband from contact outside the home. Many, Many people are hosts to MRSA, but don't succumb to a clinical infection. One of the reasons that many grocerey stores are providing disinfectant wipes for the carts is because of the rapid spread of MRSA.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to read he's still having troubles. I was going to say now might be a good time to start holistic remedies, but it sounds like you are already working on that. I hope it gets figured out. He has a great owner for sure.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
The vet doesn't think MRSA because he wouldn't be having a positive reaction to the Baytril at all. Also, where would he GET it? Is it possible we could grow it here in the house? I'm thinking of the fact that Jim & Zuni started this thing where Zuni liked to be vacuumed with the nozzle. This is the vacuum cleaner we use in the bird room, and I kept pointing out to Jim that I thought it was disgusting. I mean, we keep things pretty clean, but that thing has vacuumed up old food and just being in the bird room it has come into contact with bird poop. Jim himself brought this up as a possible cause when this all started. Zuni is a famous soup maker in our house. 4 out of 6 birds make soup in their water, and Zuni is one of the worst. Could MRSA grow out of something like that?
ok i'm going to ask stupid question; can you use water bottle with toos?? i had a budgie that was a soup maker. Bud had to dunk everything in the water dish, seeds, popcorn, veggies, fruit you name he dunked it. i went to a water bottle for little guys and that stopped. just wondering.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
ok i'm going to ask stupid question; can you use water bottle with toos?? i had a budgie that was a soup maker. Bud had to dunk everything in the water dish, seeds, popcorn, veggies, fruit you name he dunked it. i went to a water bottle for little guys and that stopped. just wondering.
I had water bottles for some of them. Zuni just flooded his cage and Kirby never figured out that he was supposed to drink from it - he knew how to make the water come out by bumping his head against it. Then I started reading scary stuff about how hard it is to really get them clean, and I stopped using them.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I dón't know if you knew, but Hank had a MRSA infection in his throat about three years before he died. It was very serious and one of only two times my vet told me that I was likely to lose my big boy. MRSA is now almost rampant and there are only a couple of antibiotics that it is still sensitive to. It took four months to heal Hank and Doxycycline was the drug that got it. SMP-TMZ is the preferred drug, but Hank was deathly allergic to it. My vet says that he has 10-12 cases of MRSA in birds per year.

MRSA is probably not resident in your house, but was probably brought in by you or your husband from contact outside the home. Many, Many people are hosts to MRSA, but don't succumb to a clinical infection. One of the reasons that many grocerey stores are providing disinfectant wipes for the carts is because of the rapid spread of MRSA.
OK, so I refused to 'like' this post, but thank you. The vet seems very doubtful that this is what we're dealing with, but I will ask again.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Lab results on Zuni's tail feather follicle came back and it is a deep infection, but no tumor! He is MUCH better now that he's on Baytril. He had started letting his feathers grow back before the meds, which I'm crediting to the Aloe Detox. He was still anting a lot and overpreening, although not pulling feathers out. He seemed very uncomfortable. With the Baytril and the topical stuff for his follicle, he is much more comfortable. We can both give him his shots without help - he will really just stand there and let us do it. So much better than the oral meds, which he hates. He doesn't mind having the stuff put on his follicle. When he was being reluctant and clinging to the back of his cage the other day, I pulled the tray out and climbed in there with him. Now that he knows it's a shot rather than syringe, he stays up front. I also had him watch me give myself the humera shot the other day. He was quite interested. He'll be on Baytril for a month and she'll look at his follicle again on Saturday. I think there is still an old feather shaft that needs to come out. It is amazing how far his feathers have come this week. The rest of his feathers where he was over-preening look better too. I'll try to post a few comp pics this weekend.

On the flip side, Kirbs is picking his wings on the shoulder blades and maybe his chest a little. He's got an appointment on Saturday. His weight is good and this just started, so hopefully we've caught whatever it is early and we can stop it in it's tracks. I need to pick up a clicker and do some training with him. He really enjoys it. Just have to make sure Miss Sophia isn't around. My clicker training with her was a dismal failure. After about 2 sessions, she started clicking herself (and me and the dogs and the other birds) when she felt it and saying "Good job!" She does not enjoy being trained.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
OK, so I refused to 'like' this post, but thank you. The vet seems very doubtful that this is what we're dealing with, but I will ask again.
@Hankmacaw Mary Lynn - I wasn't refusing to 'like' your advice. Sometimes like just seems like such the WRONG thing with something like your Hank having MRSA infection along with everything else that you two went through. I want a 'Gotcha' button.... I just reread this and realize it could have been interpreted differently, and I do appreciate your feedback.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad Zuni is doing better. :)

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Update - Zuni is better (although he's going at that spot on his chest again despite the Baytril). He's got more and more feathers coming in.

Verdict on Kirby is hormones. He's been nuttier than usual, a little territorial, bullying the other birds, etc. Vet says he is clearly as healthy as a horse and wants me to try extra showers and aloe mist with maybe some extra Omega 3's. He did a few tricks for the staff (but not for the vet - he would only shake hands with her). When the receptionist was helping me get both birds out to the car, Kirby was yelling "Ow! HELP! Omma! OUT!" Colleen said she didn't know whether to laugh or run away. Despite getting mauled by the vet and getting carsick, he seemed to have a good time. The ginger tea really helped with the car-sickness on the way up, and he didn't urp until the very end. He didn't do as well on the way home, poor guy. Zuni LOVES to ride in the car, so he was happy.

Pentameter

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lucy
MRSA is generally brewed up in environments where bacteria are constantly exposed to cleaning agents--think hospitals, etc--and unless the vacuum or someone using it was in contact with the bacteria, it's not that likely that'd be where it came from. Glad he's doing better. Antibiotic resistance is a big deal! This is why it's important to make sure your animal has a bacterial infection before using antibiotics, and why most vets will not give antibiotics without an exam (it's not good medicine to do that anyway, but resistance has made it more crucial). Also why I don't like pet stores, etc, selling antibiotics.