• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak Trimming Perches and Toys

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My 6 month old Turquoise Yellowsided GCC has a misaligned beak, I took her to the vet's this past Monday to have it trimmed, but it's still a bit off.

I was hoping people on here could give me some ideas on ways to get her to trim it farther.

She currently has: a cuttlebone, a cement perch, a calcium perch, and some other kind of stone block..

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
My 6 month old Turquoise Yellowsided GCC has a misaligned beak, I took her to the vet's this past Monday to have it trimmed, but it's still a bit off.

I was hoping people on here could give me some ideas on ways to get her to trim it farther.

She currently has: a cuttlebone, a cement perch, a calcium perch, and some other kind of stone block..
Did you take her to an Avian vet? They should have done it properly!

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Did you take her to an Avian vet? They should have done it properly!
I believe so...
The hospital was on a list of avian vets that I found online. It's very possible that her beak was more off than it looked to me?

She said that she straightened it out as much as she could, but she didn't really give me any at home advice =/

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I guess then just offer more chewing toys, thin wood, soft woods. There is a company called Bird on the Rocks, they have really nice flagstone perches.
Natural wood perches are good too, they love to chew them up.

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have a couple toys with lava rocks that seem to help my Joey with his beak. He also gets nuts to crack and pieces of word. Even leather can help them keep it shorter.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The misaligned beak is called scissor beak. It will probably need to be groomed on a regular basis depending on how out of alignment it is because the bird will not be able maintain it themselves.

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for the suggestion guys. I'll definitely look into Bird on the Rocks.

@JLcribber: I asked the vet if I'd need to bring her back in for another grooming, she just said to watch it and see if it starts to get worse again? The more I think about it the more I'm under the impression that even though they treated birds the vet didn't specialize in them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It would be great to see a picture of the beak (taken from the front head on) to see how misaligned it is.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup, scissor beak. Will require monthly trimmings likely. My BB has a unnoticeably misaligned beak that causes it to not wear down properly, requiring monthly trimmings. Invest in a good dremel and ask the vet to show you how to do it, because around here monthly vet visits are not cost effective.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I was expecting to see worse. It's only minor but scissor beak none the less.

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I actually have a Dremel MiniMite that I use to trim the dog nails.

Next time I go in I'll see if the vet will show me how, but I think I might go with the other vet office 10 minutes farther.

And no, $25 a few times a year isn't a huge deal, but every month adds up.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I actually have a Dremel MiniMite that I use to trim the dog nails.

Next time I go in I'll see if the vet will show me how, but I think I might go with the other vet office 10 minutes farther.

And no, $25 a few times a year isn't a huge deal, but every month adds up.
How lucky. My vet charges the full $95 for every visit :( So like $100 every month.... yuck. I see you're in Canada! Where abouts? I may need this vet's contact info from you, for my own use! :D

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
How lucky. My vet charges the full $95 for every visit :( So like $100 every month.... yuck. I see you're in Canada! Where abouts? I may need this vet's contact info from you, for my own use! :D
On Lake Erie. I went to Big Creek Animal Hospital in Delhi, but I think I'll go to Windrush Animal Hospital in Burford next time. Delhi was $23 and 10 minutes closer which is why I went there, but I'll pay the extra $2 to talk to a vet with actual advice.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
On Lake Erie. I went to Big Creek Animal Hospital in Delhi, but I think I'll go to Windrush Animal Hospital in Burford next time. Delhi was $23 and 10 minutes closer which is why I went there, but I'll pay the extra $2 to talk to a vet with actual advice.
Darn, a bit far for me (I'm in GTA), but will definitely keep in mind if I'm ever in that area!

Chione

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Darn, a bit far for me (I'm in GTA), but will definitely keep in mind if I'm ever in that area!
Might still be able to find one that doesn't charge the exam fee if you call around, mind you who knows with the bigger cities.

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
I have to get my Linnie beak trimmed every three months my vet only charges me $15-$25.00 every time I go in.