• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Foragers! Yippie!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I sort of went on a hunt for good platforms because I have two birds with leg/foot issues. I wanted some nice areas for them to be able to safely sit and relax and I've been especially worried about Neut falling off of a perch from higher up once she gets into her permanent cage (she regularly slips off most nights at least once or twice and I hear the little thud on the bottom of her temporary cage :( - and I did put a rope perch in for her, but prefers the smooth wooden one that she falls off of - NATURALLY).

You're in Florida as well so expect shipping to be around $25!
Ouch, $25 for shipping? Sometimes I think no one considers using flat rate boxes.

D: Poor Neut! Is there any way to make a false bottom (super padded shelf) to catch her for when she does slip off in the big cage? Then you can gradually lower it down if she is able to navigate a little better.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch, $25 for shipping? Sometimes I think no one considers using flat rate boxes.

D: Poor Neut! Is there any way to make a false bottom (super padded shelf) to catch her for when she does slip off in the big cage? Then you can gradually lower it down if she is able to navigate a little better.
Well, it's from Canada, too. I ordered from Oliver's Garden (also in Canada) and the shipping was much the same. I also cringed! But I really wanted those things for the babies, and sometimes they can be hard to find.

I know, I feel so bad for her. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out something like that. Maybe I could get a foam pad and put it on the bottom every night when I put her to bed (I'd wrap it so she couldn't eat it). What do you think?

I specifically bought some platforms just for her cage so she'll have multiple resting spots (and will hopefully sleep on one of those), and some of those willow perches that have the flat side (though I may even rotate them to give her a broader, rough surface to give her little feet some purchase).

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts A foam pad under a pillowcase or some cheap washable baby blankets in there at night sounds like a great idea.
Thank you! I started hunting for foam pads and I began to find doggy beds and memory foam pads for dogs, lol! Washable, too. So one of those in a pillow case might just be perfect. Some of the larger pillows would actually work well, too. My little sweeting will be bouncing when she hits the bottom, lol!!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Peachfaced IF you want, I can let you know when I'm going to make another order (may be soon as I tried to be conservative) and you can tell me what you want for Sherb. I will mail it to you in a flat rate priority box or something and that shipping would be a bit cheaper than straight from Canada. Totally up to you, but I would do it. :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
@Peachfaced IF you want, I can let you know when I'm going to make another order (may be soon as I tried to be conservative) and you can tell me what you want for Sherb. I will mail it to you in a flat rate priority box or something and that shipping would be a bit cheaper than straight from Canada. Totally up to you, but I would do it. :)
My word that would be fantastic. Yeah, do let me know! Would paypal work for you? The vet visit today was reasonable and I got paid today as well so my wallet is happy.

I've heard of people using those puppy pee pads for cushioning; apparently they work fine. In a pinch you could always use a few towels folded up inside of a pillow case and maybe velcro the pillowcase so that somebirdie doesn't sneak inside and make a fort (nest) for herself.

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I am curious how the wheel foragers work you. We have a clear round one similar to these but Timmy just spins it around with the little handle until everything I put inside is on the floor of the cage :(

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My word that would be fantastic. Yeah, do let me know! Would paypal work for you? The vet visit today was reasonable and I got paid today as well so my wallet is happy.

I've heard of people using those puppy pee pads for cushioning; apparently they work fine. In a pinch you could always use a few towels folded up inside of a pillow case and maybe velcro the pillowcase so that somebirdie doesn't sneak inside and make a fort (nest) for herself.
Ok, will do. :) Yes, Paypal is fine. I will probably do it in a week or two as I'll be doing cage setup this weekend and deciding what else I needed/wanted from there. :) So maybe when you have time, take a look and figure out what you'd want to get for Sherbs.

I went and found a foam doggy bed that is just the right size, two soft baby blankets, and a 2-pack of king size pillow cases. :) LOL!! I will definitely figure out a way to keep her from getting in and nesting!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@bicmeister How are the foragers working out? I still haven't ordered yet because I spent a lot of $$$ at the SWS and still have to finish paying for some things that are on layaway.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Very cool!!!

I LOVE the plastic perching,
Omg!!! I forgot about this because it was too small for the girls, but it would be perfect for THE BUDGIE BOYS!!!:chickendance:so glad you saw this and reminded me!