• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rowan's vet visit and a question

Ark

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I just got back from taking Rowan in for a general wellness exam. He did amazing! I found a clinic that's a little further away from me (about half an hour) and decided to take him there when I discovered that their avian vet is the person we used to take our cats and dogs to until she moved. We loved how she interacted with our animals, and she was wonderful with Rowan as well. The clinic is also open 24/7, which is great in case we ever have an emergency. Apparently no one ever told Rowan that vet visits aren't fun. He showed off for everyone in the waiting room, casually ate his food while I talked to the vet, and was very well-behaved for his exam. He even stepped up willingly for my vet after being toweled! He was cleared as 100% healthy, so I'm very pleased with that.

Now, my question has to do with my new conure, Elliot. He has been in quarantine for about a month now, and has an appointment scheduled for the beginning of April. Rowan doesn't mind vet visits in the least, but Elliot is just starting to trust me, and I don't want to throw that out the window. My vet suggested that I have a family member bring him in for the trauma of the exam and that I can be present via speaker phone for questions, etc. Does that seem like the smartest way to go about it? I know I can get him in and out of the travel cage without much difficulty, but I doubt he'll find the exam as stress-free as Rowan did, especially because he'll need tests done in addition to the regular wellness stuff.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never believed the vet visits will ruin your relationship hogwash... Target had an existing eye injury when I got her, so I rushed her to the emergency vet the very same day where she was towelled, poked, prodded, and done all kinds of birdie torture. Keep in mind that Target was quite unsocialized when I got her, scared of everything. I also had to medicate her and give her eye drops for the next three weeks. Target never held a grudge against me for that.

I think it's better if you were present for the vet visit if you're afraid he might be upset... moral support, see? That way he doesn't think you've abandoned him to endure Hell on his own.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I too think it's better if you're at the exam. You're not doing the poking and prodding - the vet is. Sunny always sees me as his savior and comes running to me for cuddles as soon as the vet is done. And I think Sunny would be way more stressed out if I wasn't there.

Ark

Avenue Veteran
Yeah, I would honestly rather be there for all the obvious reasons that being at the appointment is important, and I was wondering if me, a semi-familiar face being there, would be comforting enough that it would outweigh the risks of him associating me with the stress of an unfamiliar environment and being poked and prodded. I think what really gave me pause was reading a thread here once where I believe it was a cockatoo that went from trusting its owner to losing all trust for the next several years after being taken to the vet.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's uncommon for birds to lose trust in their human companion after a vet visit. I recall about 10-13 years when people said to *never* groom your bird because the bird would then hate you. People would take their birds to the vets office or to a groomers, then leave the room. The groomer/vet would due the "deed", then the owner would come back in and "rescue" the bird.

Charlie requires beak trims for the rest of his life. I do it myself (NOT recommended BTW!) using a dremel. Charlie is normally less bratty afterwards for a little bit! LOL It doesn't change our bond. :)

Sometimes, it's better to take the bird into the vet asap instead of waiting, so you can get that done and over with, then work on bonding, rather than possibly jeopardizing that trust. Saying that, its quite possible to pick up on trust building techniques after the vet visit.

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
I got my baby girl brought her in within 5 days of getting her she still loves me.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I would prefer to be at the vet visit - I want to hear myself any advice or problems the vet may address. Some of my birds have appeared to be a little stressed after a vet visit but after some time at home, even within minutes - they are fine. Maybe give an extra treat and some scritches when you get home.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I think the vet visit helped Roma and I. I was the one he ran to when the mean vet finished poking and prodding and torturing him. I was his safe person that was going to take him back home to his own cage and feed him yummy treats and spoil him rotten and he knew it!

Ark

Avenue Veteran
Hmm, thanks for the input everyone! You have me convinced that it's probably best if I go, even if it does run the risk of setting us back in the trust building process. We're still way at the beginning with that anyway... it has only been about a month. I'd like to move his cage into my/Rowan's bedroom after quarantine is up and the vet check is cleared. Do you think Elliot could see and recognize the way Rowan trusts me and that might help us? Of course, this is all dependent on how the birds handle each other's presences... if it causes undue stress, Elliot can keep the room he's in.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I definitely thinks it helps a bird seeing another bird trust you. :)