• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please help! conure flew into window..

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
That is not enough of a reason to not take him to a vet. Withholding treatment to an injured bird is far less of a risk than a bit of a car ride. I know that is not the only issue here but I don't want to see anyone thinking the car ride isn't worth the risk in a situation like this.
Far more... far MORE of a risk. How'd I screw that one up? :roflmao:

Kimberla

Avenue Veteran
I think you have been told enough to go to the vet. I am pretty sure you are getting the idea. Being without a car is never desirable when we are used to having one at our disposal. I just want to give you a hug and tell you good luck. I hope your feathered baby gets better soon!!! Keep us up on what is happening!

:sadhug2::sadhug2::heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive thoughts for your bird. I do hope he recovers. If you can find someone to take you to the vet that you be great or perhaps you can give one a call and explain the situation and maybe they can at least give you some advice. Best to you.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It sounds like he has a spinal cord injury. Is he pooping okay? I am guessing he is in quite a bit of pain.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Warm, dark and quiet,,,, no climbing, no perching, do you have small fish tank or Rubbermaid box to put him in? No deep bowls of water only very shallow, in case he tips over into it. How are his pupils? Dialated, or light reactive? Nostrils and mouth clear and free of blood? Hope he improves, :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Courtney do you have a regular vet close to you that you could take him to? They can always consult with an avian vet if they are not up on bird care and they do have the ability to provide you with the necessary meds

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I live in NW North Carolina and an avian vet is several hours away so I understand the car issue. If it sounds like I am close enough to help with transportation let me know. I will try to help. For future reference try hanging at least a set of sheer curtains on your windows. they still let in light and can prevent this type of thing from happening again.

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
This situation seems very familiar to me. When Dove crashed into the wall she lost all use of her legs and passed away the next day. I sure hope this doesn't happen to your GCC though!!! As long as he is improving I don't think what happened to Dove will happen to him, GCC and budgies are very different after all.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
If he was concussed, twitching, and has lost use of his legs, it IS serious. Without being seen by a vet it's hard to say whether his paralysis is permanent or whether he'll suffer any further cognitive/behavioral symptoms.
That is not enough of a reason to not take him to a vet. Withholding treatment to an injured bird is far less of a risk than a bit of a car ride. I know that is not the only issue here but I don't want to see anyone thinking the car ride isn't worth the risk in a situation like this.

Jaguar, I am guessing Courtney lives in Australia (RSPCA is the clue). Australia is not the USA and we only have around 20-30 Avian Veterinarian Clinics in an entire country almost the same size as the Continental USA. You have approximately 330 million people there as opposed to 24 million here. They are 2 entirely different economies of scale is terms of supply and demand. I am one of the lucky few who has several within an hours drive.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@courtney How is your green cheek doing?

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry

Jaguar, I am guessing Courtney lives in Australia (RSPCA is the clue). Australia is not the USA and we only have around 20-30 Avian Veterinarian Clinics in an entire country almost the same size as the Continental USA. You have approximately 330 million people there as opposed to 24 million here. They are 2 entirely different economies of scale is terms of supply and demand. I am one of the lucky few who has several within an hours drive.
I don't even live in the USA. :bored: I live in a rather remote area of Canada, actually. My location is right there to the left of my post. I see the point you're trying to make, but I have no avian vet within a 3 hour drive, either. I still don't use that as an excuse to not go to a vet at all. Even a general vet has a lot of tools, medications, etc that I don't, and they can still consult with an AV for anything they don't know much about..