• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help my parrot hasnt laid in 12 days

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The feedings are way too far apart and should be every 3 hours, 4 at the latest.

5am. 9am. 12pm. 4pm. 7pm. 11p.

Or such.

They should be fed every 5 hours when their bodies are completely feathered in. But this is according to the babies needs, may be they want more or less.

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your advice Bokkapooh,

As of yesterday I am feeding every 5 hours and taking a 7-8 hours break at night. They were just switched from 4 hrs to 5hrs and they are still gaining minimum 10% of body weight per day. According to everything ive read including the recent post on hand feeding they can be dropped to 4hrs when they reach 15days (if the baby is ready) . I'm not too worried nor is my breeder. The youngest are almost completely covered in fluff.

Baby 1 is now 26 days
Baby 2 is now 19 days
Baby 3 is not 17 days

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Aaaaaaagh tiny little adorable dinosaur babies! :faint:

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Just checked into this thread. I would like to point out: I think the feedings are too far apart. every 3-4 hours (play it safe with 3 for now) especially for first timers as 17 days and 26 days old is a big span. This stage is critical, and if they dont get the proper nutrition they need now, they will not develop properly and you can have big issues later.

If the crops are not emptying it could be the thickness of the formula, brooder too cold or a pH inbalance in the crop IMHO.

Cute little ones BTW- love how the beaks are so big it looks like they could topple over. hehe

Last edited:

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the advice mythic55

So far no problems with their crops. Baby 1's wings are covered in feathers baby 2 and one are all fluffed up and have a lot of feathers coming in.

They are all nibling and exploring. Very cute to watch!!!

More pics to come