• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald patches on Zebras

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
I have 2 zebra finches, I think they are male and female. The female has some baldness around her tail area and the other who I think is male has some baldness around his neck/chin. This only happened yesterday and I can't see any obvious mites but should I treat for the just in case. The female only has 2 toes on one foot so doesn't perch perfectly, I thought she may have been picked on at first but the other has bald bits too so both must be doing it.

What can I do about this :( ?

I only have the 2 finches together in a cage that is 18x18x30inches. They are fed seed, vege, cooked grains, calcium supplements and bath in a water dish themselves, they are cleaned out daily. They will be getting a bigger cage at some point but not for a few months, could cage size be the issue maybe?

ps they seem to love each other and are together all the time

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Any pictures of the pair? Its quite easy to tell the sex of the zebra finches unless they're pure whites.

Sometimes when zebra finches are nesting they will pluck each other of feathers to gather nestinf supplies. Do they have a nest available? Or trying to make one somewhere? Underneath food cups or inside them are common places if they dont have a nest.

Even if no nest is supplied, you can provide cotton balls and the alfalfa, etc, as nesting supplies so they can play around with it and have no need to pluck each other for nesting supplies.

If you don't want them to have eggs and babies, just destroy any nests they may make. Destroy every morning when you clean the cages.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I would ask what the lighting is? Around the face sounds like a vitamin d deficiency, while the tail sounds tlike plucking from the mate

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
They have an arcadia lamp. I will try offering nesting material and see if that stops them, they were using a food dish but i took it out to see if they stopped laying, prob wasnt a good idea. Thank you :)