• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Surprise Eggs!

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Just in time for Easter, my linnies have decided to start a family. I didn't want them to breed so didn't give them a nesting box. This has kept them from breeding for the last four springs I have had them but this year they decided to thumb their beaks at me and do it anyway. Jeff Goldblum was right, life does find a way. LOL

Sorry the image is so blurry. I had been cleaning their cage when I saw the egg and they were already very agitated so I just took a quick picture and backed off.

About an hour after this was taken there was a second egg in the hide. An hour after that one egg was on the bottom of the cage smashed. So I decided that the same thing was likely to happen to all eggs they tried laying in the hide despite their tearing at the fabric and I put a plastic dog dish in the bottom of the cage for them to use as a nest. Originally I used shredded crinkle paper but someone said paper towels might be better so I swapped it out.

Now to see if they try to lay more eggs in the hide or if they accept the nest I made for them. If they continue laying eggs in the hide I will get a nest box and replace the hide with it. I haven't decided if I will let them raise a clutch but I do know I have to leave the eggs with the hen or she will keep laying them. If I do decide to not let them raise the clutch I will give the eggs a quick boil and pop them back into the nest (after cooling down of course) so she stops laying. I will then let her keep them until she gives up on them.

Anyone know why they decided to lay eggs this year when they haven't tried in previous years? I brought home two new birds (a sun conure and a cockatiel) at the beginning of the year. Could the other birds in the house have made them want to breed?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
AW Linnie babies. I guess conditions were ripe for breeding when you were not watching.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wish I could have one of them if they hatch. Love the photos.

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Well Lady Jane, if they hatch any and you are close enough we can certainly discuss you getting a baby :) As of right now I have no idea if they accept the nest or not. I haven't seen any more eggs since Sunday but she is still big so there are more to come.

Kales

Meeting neighbors
Surprise!
Sorry I'm no help with the nesting questions, but hopefully it works :)
Are the eggs fertile?
I guess you just can't stop love :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Eggs can be candled to see if fertile.

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
So far the first egg had veins. The next two eggs got smashed due to poor nesting site choices so I don't know about them. As of right now I do not think there are any other eggs and I don't think they are sitting on the one that is in the nesting box so I'm guessing its a goner. However I'm leaving the box in there and we shall see. They have accepted the box and are using as a hide if nothing else.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can't imagine how small that precious eggie is..

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
I think they ate the egg, I stuck my hand in the box on the 25th and felt around and there was no egg. I have no idea if they will lay anymore. Rory is still being very aggressive and Amy is spending a lot of time in the box so maybe they already have? I just hate to disturb them more than I already have.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
The happy hut could be the culprit. It's basically a plush nestbox with 2 walls instead of 3. They have been known to cause hormonal behavior in birds.

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
The hut is no longer in there, they just have the nest box. If they don't have any more eggs by the end of April I'll take it out.

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Looks like that first batch was just practice. I took this picture today.

They do have access to more nesting material but they haven't put it in the box. They actually took most of what I had put in the box and threw it out. I guess they didn't approve of my taste in decor?

Hlynn1975

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
I got a note that the picture didn't work for someone so here I will try it again.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You should probably put wood shavings as bedding for them. You put it in the box, and they move it around to make a nest so that the eggs do not just roll around. If you put more in that they want, then they will move it out of the box. Also, should the eggs hatch, the babies will need the bedding to help their feet get traction. Without this, the babies will most likely develop splay legs.

Matt

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A product at Costco called Aspen is a good nest filler.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did you ever have Linnie chicks?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue