• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Food Labels

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am thinking most of us read the printing on bird food bags. Wondering why the expiration dates and storage information are printed so small and often hard to find. The foods I have now say "to maintain freshness store in refrigerator" Do you understand what the ingredients are and know any possible sensitivities you bird may have to them? Do you pay attention to thee expiration dates? I know Harrisons directions say to store in original bag. Some food bags are made so that there is no way to do that, especially if purchased in bulk. Anyway it is a subject for conversation on the forum.

Pet Food Labels: Reading Between the Lines | Vetlearn

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
We feed mostly Harrisons for the pellet. I buy 2 1lb bags at a time usually keep one in the fridge after I mix in some RPO the other goes in freezer until needed buying this way costs a little more but with just 2 smaller birds this usually lasts us 8 to 10 weeks. We have to never worry about an expiration date because its always gone ways before then. But yes I do check each bag to make sure.
As far as ingredient lists sometimes they can be deceiving. Was doing some research for my dog with allergies, and I assume some ingredients in bird food could have the same issues. But as it is for birds Omega 3s are important for dogs and better dog foods include this so you read the label and think your getting something good. Omega 3s oxidize fairly rapidly so by the time you are using the bottom 1/2 of the bag the omega 3s are gone if they were not packaged right they maybe gone before you even open the bag.
So many things to consider and to know. And so many companies have some very deceptive information.
If you buy in bulk how many of the nutrients that were put into the food are actually still viable by the time you go through it all???? Who really knows?

The FDA is in charge SCARY thought for us and pets alike, knowing that now the FDA president and so many members are high ranking officials from Monsanto. Monsanto has made so many congressmen members of there Board of Directors. So again its all about money not what's really safe for us to eat. Knows I grow as much of my own food as I can because its getting harder and harder to find food that is not a Monsato GMO. And in most states it is not law to label food that it is GMO.:bash:

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Rick you bring up some important points, especially in deceptive labeling.