• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Expo & Nickel-plated Toy Parts

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I attended my first (and probably last) birdy expo after deciding I was probably being too paranoid in not attending one EVER because of fear of contamination. (I did my usual precautions like I would after going to the bird store or the vet's office, which was pitching my clothes right in the washing machine and jumping into the shower.) After I got out of the shower, I looked up online to see what other precautions I might want to take. Well, after finding out that every surface at every bird show is apparently crawling with PBFD, Polyoma, and possibly Chlamydia, not just having it present, I sprayed my shoes and bag down with F10, tossed some F10 in the washing machine, and sprayed the place where my shoes had been left in the entryway with F10. I had already been planning on soaking the few toys I bought in F10...so I did that at the same time as well. (I tossed the whole plastic bag in there to soak along with the toys, lol.) I even sprayed my glasses down with F10. If I could have safely bathed in the F10, I would have! I feel like an idiot for even going to one of these things. (I talked to all the little lovebirds that were there as well. The cages were tiny. I saw rusty cages, too, which horrified me. Some of them housed birds that were being raffled, and they included the cage. WOOHOO, I'd pitch that POS in the garbage as soon as I got home if I were one of those raffle winners!)

Anyway, the only toy I was interested in and purchased was this one, with a birdie ball. I like the design of the toy (mostly the jingly birdie ball and the size of the toy), but when I asked about the hardware, I was told it was nickel-plated. They owner assured me it was bird-safe, and I recalled reading that it is supposed to be safe, BUT. I still don't entirely trust it. I would MUCH rather stainless steel. Opinions on nickel-plated? It makes me nervous.

This is the toy:

IMG_3417.JPG

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nickel-plated is safe, but it does rust after a while. I would pitch it if I start seeing signs of rust.

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
That is one irresponsible bird expo!
We are having one come up next month and i plan on going again, as i have many times before, and i have even bought some of my birds there...
I bought my lovie at the bird expo, And he is perfectly healthy, i even bought Butter (U2) at the same expo! He was (and still is) extraordinarily healthy as well.
I know someone with their M2 that goes to every expo with their bird and they have never had any problems with sickness.

jingly birdie ball
The ball looks like one of those cat toys you get at the pet store.

I have read that nickle plated is safe on many different websites, so it "should" be safe.
Though, lots of things are called "safe" for birds and we later find out it's not.
If you do not feel it is safe then don't use it.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is one irresponsible bird expo!
We are having one come up next month and i plan on going again, as i have many times before, and i have even bought some of my birds there...
I bought my lovie at the bird expo, And he is perfectly healthy, i even bought Butter (U2) at the same expo! He was (and still is) extraordinarily healthy as well.
I know someone with their M2 that goes to every expo with their bird and they have never had any problems with sickness.

The ball looks like one of those cat toys you get at the pet store.

I have read that nickle plated is safe on many different websites, so it "should" be safe.
Though, lots of things are called "safe" for birds and we later find out it's not.
If you do not feel it is safe then don't use it.
I read a scary article about bird expos: http://beautyofbirds.com/BirdMartDangers.htm

I am glad your birdies are healthy! I think the level of risk just scares me too much.

I found the ball online being sold separately as well.

I think I will be replacing all the hardware with stainless steel myself after getting some advice about whether to find parts and how to open o-rings!

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I read a scary article about bird expos: BIRD MARTS, The Greatest Threat to Avian Health

I am glad your birdies are healthy! I think the level of risk just scares me too much.

I found the ball online being sold separately as well.

I think I will be replacing all the hardware with stainless steel myself after getting some advice about whether to find parts and how to open o-rings!

Read the article...

Now that i think of it, bet many people's households, clothes, and other items have trace amounts of any of these viruses, some more deadly, even if they had never had a bird in/on them before. Maybe even grocery stores have it too! Flea markets! Dollar stores! Fabric stores! :eek:
Any of those places could have the virus, and we just didn't bother to test them because "they have never had a bird in it"....
I know of someone who takes their bird to a fabric store....
Never met them, but i have heard their bird in the store, and the employees say she has a bird!
Anything is possible with a virus. :dead:

Before i learned about quarantine, when i got a new bird they just went straight with the other one without any precautions. None of my birds are dead yet!
(BTW, I learned about quarantine after i got my second bird about 2 or 3 years ago, so it's not like i was without the knowledge for long)

Good choice on switching it to stainless! :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Read the article...
Now that i think of it, bet many people's households, clothes, and other items have trace amounts of any of these viruses, some more deadly, even if they had never had a bird in/on them before. Maybe even grocery stores have it too! Flea markets! Dollar stores! Fabric stores! :eek:
Any of those places could have the virus, and we just didn't bother to test them because "they have never had a bird in it"....
I know of someone who takes their bird to a fabric store....
Never met them, but i have heard their bird in the store, and the employees say she has a bird!
Anything is possible with a virus. :dead:
Exactly, that's what's so scary. And then I think about the other sorts of conventions I have attended at these places and that who knows what might be hanging around from these events. You know they never clean those spaces. That's just where you know. Like you said, there are always those things you can't account for, like birds in fabric stores, of all places. All we can do is take what precautions we can and try to avoid exposure as much as possible.

Before i learned about quarantine, when i got a new bird they just went straight with the other one without any precautions. None of my birds are dead yet!
(BTW, I learned about quarantine after i got my second bird about 2 or 3 years ago, so it's not like i was without the knowledge for long)
You are fortunate! I'm glad nothing happened with your birdies. It's definitely a gamble. I was nervous bringing Neut home even with a vet check and quarantine until her results came in. And even though I have moved her into the bedroom where Snerky is, I still wear a different shirt while holding Neut and wash my face and hands after (I always hold her last as well).

A bit before I left for work yesterday, I also sprayed the front compartment of my car with F10!

Good choice on switching it to stainless! :)
Thank you - it's worth it to make sure that my babies will be as safe as possible!