• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Article on meat eating lorikeets

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I didn't realise this was news otherwise I would have done an article myself.

Rainbow lorikeets eating meat leaves bird experts astonished - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Whilst their wild normal diet is nectar from flowers, pollen, leaves, fruit and other such items. However they also are known to eat insects as well as some fresh seeds.
In captivity they have wet and dry nectar with a mix of fruit and veggies to boot.
However put mine in front of dry nectar, wet nectar, fruit smoothie, honey and some meat.....they go for the meat!

I don't cook my meat in salt or seasoning and its organic, it is literally cooked as is due to my diet so I am not worried about them over salting or having extras they shouldn't. They also don't have it daily, it's less than once a week and only when I forget to put them away whilst eating and I get attack of the beak on my plate lol.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
mmmmmmm brains

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
However put mine in front of dry nectar, wet nectar, fruit smoothie, honey and some meat.....they go for the meat!
I have no experience of Lories, but all parrots that I have had, will all chose meat before anything else.

I think they want protein more then anything else because protein is good for breeding. They will get better colours, sing better and will be more sustained.
All that is good to be a good breeding partner, one of the most important thing to all animals.
This is of course only what I believe, but perhaps it is true, who knows!?