• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

blowing air

charlie

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hello parrot-people,

I have a male eclectus Ekko he is 3 years old. we have him for almost a year now (rehome). The green guy is a little insecure at times but seems mostly happy and content. He can entertain himself with toys and likes foraging. He loves to be with and on me. But doesn't really likes to be touched, which is fine. But the thing is... when he is on me he likes to climb and sit on my chest and put his face right in my face. He pushes is beak against my lips or cheek and i kiss him. I meen, thats what he wants right? If i move my face he will just move in closer. So here is my question, he often blows air in my face. And i don't now if it's meant as a gentle warning. I don't feel threatened. But i really want to understand him. I know he will growl if he's serious because he growls to my dog. He has never bitten me, but i know he has bitten his previous owner often. I never spoke with her but Ekko speaks clearly - NO DONT BITE OUCH. lol

So what do you fellow eclectus parents make of this?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've only had two ekkies in my life so can't give a good cross section of this behavior but I've never experienced that. Ruby likes to be up in my face and will often take her beak and pull my face around if I'm not looking right at her so she can give me a kiss. Does Ekko make noise when he does the blowing? Ruby will sometimes make a little affectionate grunting noise and I can feel her breath but that's all.

charlie

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for replying.
No he doesn't make any noise. He almost never talks when he sits with me. He does make a lot of kissing sounds and talks when he is on his tree or in his cage.
He did a LOUD kiss in my face once when we just got him. It was very unexpected for me and it shocked me, what scared him. So i think i unintentionally learned him not to speak when on me. :(

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Talk to him a lot when you hold him and repeat a word you want him to say and he may relax and decide it's ok to talk when he's on you. Ekkies are very sensitive but they love to be spoken to. :heart:

charlie

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
I do :xflove:. I also sing for him a lot. Our song is "you are my sunshine". The house could be burning down, when I sing that for him he wouldn't even notice, he only has eyes for me then.

charlie

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
just thinking... when his face is in front of mine i exhale in his face ( if you know what i mean) could he maybe be copying me "blowing" in his face?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
just thinking... when his face is in front of mine i exhale in his face ( if you know what i mean) could he maybe be copying me "blowing" in his face?
That's possible, They are very smart! Ruby learned how to growl because she copied me growling when we play 'Grab the beak'. :)

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Rosco does something similar and I haven't been able to figure out if it's mating behavior or what... he never seems agitated when it happens, and it's always right in my face as well. Nice to know he's "normal" :lol: