• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Guy!

Dorito

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dustin
Hello all.

New guy here. I joined this site to do some research about what species of bird I want to have.

I fear I might have fallen in love with a bird that might not be right for me. I feel he is, but after reading the write up in Mytoos.com I am officially scared to death to own a U2 much less any bird.

Does anyone have a large bird and a job? Lol. I have already bought a large cage and devoted an entire room of my house to a bird. My children are all grown and nearly gone, I feel like this is the right time in our life to bring a bird into our life that needs the kind of attention that a bird of this size needs. I have pretty much all of the information I need on habitat and diet, it's the day to day interaction that worries me. Including commute to work the wife and I will be gone roughly 9-10 hours a day, is that enough time for any bird much less a U2?

I've used the search option and still don't have any straight answers.

Thank you in advance.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welave:

No toos here, but I'm sure someone will come along shortly.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Being left alone for 10 hours a day is way too long. (They need 12 hours of sleep at night. Doesn't leave much does it?) They need a good 4 hours a day of your undivided attention. That means making this a priority to the exclusion of other things.

If you've never owned a bird before you are going to be in WAY over your head starting out with a cockatoo. You have no idea how much of a life altering decision this is.

Are you ready to have another new born child with all its demands? Because honestly and literally, that is what you want to do. You're not a good candidate based on what you've told us. No time or experience. Recipe for failure. Just being honest based on experience.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I agree totally :cool:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
A Pionus of some sort MAY be a better fit for your lifestyle. They tend to be able to entertain themselves well as long as they have enough interesting toys and things to occupy themselves with. They seem happy with the time you give them after work, I know Lurch, and Nerd before him were/are happy with the time they have/had with me once I'm home. Of course also once I'm home he's out and free ranging unless somethings going on where he might get hurt or escape.
They are medium sized, usually quiet, and love to just hang out with or be close by you, they are generally calm and not as aggressive as some birds, but trust me, they can, and will bite if you don't know how to read them or they are having a bad day.
Good luck with what you decide and remember it can be a life long commitment, Nerd was with me for 31 years, and hoping Lurch and I grow old together.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
I second a pionus, they are really nice birds! There's information about them on this forum in the breed section.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
For your lifestyle, you may want a smaller bird. I work a lot of hours and I have a cockatiel. She is interactive, cuddly, and is a great companion. I also work from 10-12 hours a day and she is a well adjusted bird. She makes me laugh everyday and I can't imagine my life without her. If you look on the cockatiel forum, you will hear stories similar to mine.

Dorito

Real Name
Dustin
Thanks for the replies.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
I do agree, with the work schedule, a 'too may be be the best choice for you. However, doesn't mean that no bird is! I'd look into the more "independent" species. Some people already gave some great suggestions! The smaller birds can be just as interactive and fun. :)

Best of luck and welcome!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Why does everyone automatically jump on the "smaller parrots" bandwagon? I agree that maybe a Cockatoo may be a bit much the first time around but if Dustin really does his research, it may be the perfect bird for him. The simple fact that he is here and asking questions says a great deal! I think that we need to get to know him and start finding out about him and what he's looking for before we even start suggesting birds for his lifestyle.

So, with that in mind, tell us about yourself Dustin! What about Umbrella Cockatoos has caught your eye. What is it about birds in general that you seem to like? I will be the first to tell you that it isn't about the amount of time you can spend with the bird, it is about the quality of the time that you spend with the bird and what you are willing to do for the bird while you are not there. Are you willing to make all sorts of foraging toys and buy "thinking" toys to keep your bird busy while you are not there? Are you opposed to getting a second bird to keep your bird company? They are flock birds and really tend to do better when there is more than one, especially when you are gone for long periods of time.

I don't own any large birds but have plenty of experience with them. I do have Cockatoos, one Ducorps' Cockatoo that I've had for 11 years and five Rose Breasted Cockatoos who have been with me from five years on down.

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to agree with Jen. I also think it has more to do with the individual bird's personality than the species. Dustin if you do your research and maybe look for an older bird verses a baby that is used to a lifestyle similar to the one you can provide it could work out. I will be the first to admit that cockatoos can be very demanding and require a bit , okay a lot more patience, than other species but then we have people on this board who have had no prior bird experience get a too and it seems to be working out. You just have to go into it with your eyes wide open, do your research, and do not have the expectation that the bird is going to conform to the way you want him to be. That's not going to happen. I do think if you provide things to keep him busy during the day while you're away from home he can be a happy bird but again it depends on the birds personality.

sonja

Jogging around the block
I second the statement that if this is your first bird, a U2 is a choice you, and the bird, would live to regret.
There are so many better choices that would fit into your life, instead of upend your life!

Dorito

Real Name
Dustin
Jen,

Thank you for your reply, This is the kind of interaction I was hoping for. The Too I found that absolutly stole our hearts is a 16 year old adobtion bird. The previous owner passed away leaving her family with the bird, they chose to take it to a local rescue. The previous owner took her to schools and places like that for show and tell, she is very well mannered and knows tons of tricks. The first time I held her she stared at me and just rattled on like we have been friends for years. I guess thats what drew me to her. My wife and I have raised three boys. So the idea of constant cleaning, endless trips to the grocery store and so on isn't really and issue. :)

She has been at the rescue place of nearly a year, the owners of the place said she is a wonderful bird that like to take things apart. From what they have told me she is independant and does not mind staying in her cage, but I can tell you from first hand knowledge she isn't very excited about going back in it. I am a very handy with woodworking tools and rope so I don't forsee any issues with being able to build toys for her to destroy. Honestly with what the typical pet store charges for bird toys there's no way on earth I am going to buy them when I can build them for a fraction of the cost. We have a 42"W x 30"D x 60"H cage that I found at a shop that needed some work I have since rebuilt it and dedicated our extra room to whatever bird we get.

I realize that this particular species of bird is probably the most demanding bird there is, thats what brings me here to see how other people who work handle their birds.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Why does everyone automatically jump on the "smaller parrots" bandwagon? I agree that maybe a Cockatoo may be a bit much the first time around but if Dustin really does his research, it may be the perfect bird for him. The simple fact that he is here and asking questions says a great deal! I think that we need to get to know him and start finding out about him and what he's looking for before we even start suggesting birds for his lifestyle.

So, with that in mind, tell us about yourself Dustin! What about Umbrella Cockatoos has caught your eye. What is it about birds in general that you seem to like? I will be the first to tell you that it isn't about the amount of time you can spend with the bird, it is about the quality of the time that you spend with the bird and what you are willing to do for the bird while you are not there. Are you willing to make all sorts of foraging toys and buy "thinking" toys to keep your bird busy while you are not there? Are you opposed to getting a second bird to keep your bird company? They are flock birds and really tend to do better when there is more than one, especially when you are gone for long periods of time.

I don't own any large birds but have plenty of experience with them. I do have Cockatoos, one Ducorps' Cockatoo that I've had for 11 years and five Rose Breasted Cockatoos who have been with me from five years on down.
I mentioned it because I love cockatiels and was just trying to spread that love. I didn't say that he couldn't get a too but I wanted to let him know that there are other options and that tiels are great birds also.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Jen,

Thank you for your reply, This is the kind of interaction I was hoping for. The Too I found that absolutly stole our hearts is a 16 year old adobtion bird. The previous owner passed away leaving her family with the bird, they chose to take it to a local rescue. The previous owner took her to schools and places like that for show and tell, she is very well mannered and knows tons of tricks. The first time I held her she stared at me and just rattled on like we have been friends for years. I guess thats what drew me to her. My wife and I have raised three boys. So the idea of constant cleaning, endless trips to the grocery store and so on isn't really and issue. :)

She has been at the rescue place of nearly a year, the owners of the place said she is a wonderful bird that like to take things apart. From what they have told me she is independant and does not mind staying in her cage, but I can tell you from first hand knowledge she isn't very excited about going back in it. I am a very handy with woodworking tools and rope so I don't forsee any issues with being able to build toys for her to destroy. Honestly with what the typical pet store charges for bird toys there's no way on earth I am going to buy them when I can build them for a fraction of the cost. We have a 42"W x 30"D x 60"H cage that I found at a shop that needed some work I have since rebuilt it and dedicated our extra room to whatever bird we get.

I realize that this particular species of bird is probably the most demanding bird there is, thats what brings me here to see how other people who work handle their birds.
You are definitely in the right place, unfortunately, some people like to run right to a conclusion before finding out any facts!:) I say research, research, research, and then do some more research and see where you stand!:) I think it's absolutely fantastic that you're looking at an older bird. That's half the battle right there. With an older bird, you get to know that bird's personality and that personality is probably pretty steady and not likely to change a whole lot, where a baby can change a great deal once it hits maturity. So, there's one thing you have going in your favor. The other thing you have going in your favor is that this bird is past her initial hormonal stage and is settled in and knows how to handle her hormones. Right now, I have a nearly five year old Rose Breasted Cockatoo who is surging in hormones that he doesn't know what to do with and he's a nightmare sometimes and my best buddy at other times. He's just as confused as I am!:) You shouldn't have to deal with this type of confusion from this bird, she's had plenty of time to figure it out...this doesn't mean that she might not get hormonal and crazy from time to time but at least it's not new to her!

So, here are some questions I have for you:

1. Would the rescue be willing to let you foster her for a while and see how it goes? Many rescues do do this and most of the time or at least some of the time, the birds end up permanent members where they are being fostered. This takes a bit of pressure off you and off the rescue so you know that if it doesn't work out that she can go back to the rescue. It also gives you a place to go back to and ask all sorts of questions, not that you couldn't do this if you flat out adopted her, but it's always nice to have someone to turn to.
2. Are you absolutely sure that this bird is a female? Have they done DNA testing on her or has she laid an egg? It's always nice to know the sex because then you can be aware of sexual issues that may come up such as egg laying and egg binding that can be problematic or even dangerous if you don't know what you are looking for. Another great reason to know is that, generally speaking, female 'toos tend be much more easy going than male 'toos...not always though!:)
3. Making toys is great but there's a whole different type of research you have to do there, so get ready to learn. You have to make sure that what you are using is safe and with 'toos, you want a variety of toys, so some you're just going to want to break down and pay some money for them. We have a ton of great online vendors that are AA members and two that I would recommend right off the bat for a 'too owner would be Mother Pluckin' for their refillable SS skewers and Avian Stainless for their SS toys. Both will last you a lifetime. But you also want to get creative and know that you are dealing with a very smart bird who will need to be challenged, so you have to find creative ways to keep her occupied like stuffing things within things and then within things to make her work for her food. This is all stuff that you can learn but the biggest question is do you have the excitement and desire to do so? If you do, then you're on the right track!
4. Bites! Sooner or later you'll probably get bitten and most likely, you won't understand why. Do you have a personality that can deal with this?:) It's just part of bird ownership...all birds bite, most bird bites hurt. Cockatoo bites can do some serious damage, but as you go, you learn how to read their body language and you learn to avoid the bite. There will be a time in the beginning where there is a learning curve though. Can you make it through this learning curve without holding a grudge?:)
5. Birds are MESSY! Are you a neat freak? Can you handle a bird who wants to constantly throw food on the floor and poops everywhere? Do you have a problem with forever cleaning? If these things don't bother you so much, then it's not so much of an issue.
6. How are your finances?:) Birds can be incredibly expensive! Vet care is probably the most expensive and one of the first things you are going to want to do is take her to a vet to get a relationship started and get a baseline blood panel on her. These kinds of visits are about $300 to $400 depending on where you live and what you have done. It's always a great idea to establish a good relationship with a vet who sees birds though, just in case you really need for an emergency. Also remember that these guys can put themselves in all sorts of really strange places and can get into all sorts of trouble, so you very well may need a vet in the future and it could cost some serious money. Many people suggest starting a vet account so you can save money every month in case of an emergency...just some things to think about.
7. How much do you like your hearing?:) These guys can scream and like to scream and if they are happy, you want them to scream! You may want to invest in a set of ear plugs for when she is being loud and she will be loud!
8. Can you get over the cuddle factor? The hardest thing in the world with these birds, at least I think, is knowing how to foster independent play. They are love sponges and would like nothing better than to be attached to your hip 24/7/365. This does not do them or you any good. Are you going to be able to resist the temptation of wanting to cuddle her and put her in her cage from time to time when you are home and teach her that playing by herself even when you are right there is something she is good at and likes to do? This is so important and so hard but so necessary!:)

These are just a few of the things that I'm thinking about right off the top of my head. I honestly do not think that a U2 is something you cannot handle, especially an older female who needs a home. You are older and don't have young kids at home and those are pluses too. Are you living in a house currently or do you live in something with shared walls such as an apartment or a condo or a townhouse? A house would be ideal just because of the noise. Are you ready to have another 3 to 5 year old living with you who is actually at the maturity level of a 2 year old? They can be demanding but you have to be the one who puts down the rules! I think the biggest and best piece of advice that I can give you about any bird but especially about a U2 is that you will change your life to suit her, not the other way around! If you truly feel that you can do that, then you might be able to make this work!

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Jen,

Yup, there is truth that all birds are individuals, and there are some that don't mind spending quite a bit of time alone. It's just, like you have seen on mytoos.com, that there's a vast number that cannot thrive being alone that long. It is great that you are doing some research beforehand. If this particular bird seems to be well adjusted, and doesn't mind playtime by herself, then you may end up being just fine. There are exceptions to the rule. It is good to be aware of all scenarios, though.

And sorry about the phrase "smaller birds", its more like a reflex, as well, they are smaller than... say... a u2. And he mentioned the rather long amounts of time the bird would be alone during the day, so that's where the suggestions started falling in. Now that we know he has his mind set on what seems to be a little older, independent, cockatoo, then, this could actually end up working out.

I also can attest to the biting thing. I got bitten by a *typically* very friendly umbrella at the local shelter. I still don't have feeling in part of my thumb. I was not paying attention tot he bird's body language, and she got me. And for some people, they develop intense fear of the bird after something like this, which can spell disaster for the relationship.

A ton of great info in the above post.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have cockatoo experience. I know that they require a lot of effort, etc. but if the bird has "picked you" then I think that's the bird you get. It's amazing how these amazing creatures will pick their owners if you let them.

Also, I know some rescues will let you have a trial period so to speak. Would this rescue do that?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yup, there is truth that all birds are individuals, and there are some that don't mind spending quite a bit of time alone. It's just, like you have seen on mytoos.com, that there's a vast number that cannot thrive being alone that long. It is great that you are doing some research beforehand. If this particular bird seems to be well adjusted, and doesn't mind playtime by herself, then you may end up being just fine. There are exceptions to the rule. It is good to be aware of all scenarios, though.

And sorry about the phrase "smaller birds", its more like a reflex, as well, they are smaller than... say... a u2. And he mentioned the rather long amounts of time the bird would be alone during the day, so that's where the suggestions started falling in. Now that we know he has his mind set on what seems to be a little older, independent, cockatoo, then, this could actually end up working out.

I also can attest to the biting thing. I got bitten by a *typically* very friendly umbrella at the local shelter. I still don't have feeling in part of my thumb. I was not paying attention tot he bird's body language, and she got me. And for some people, they develop intense fear of the bird after something like this, which can spell disaster for the relationship.

A ton of great info in the above post.
I didn't mean to come across so negative with the small bird remark but it seems like every time someone comes here asking about 'toos we tend to jump all over them without even asking about the person first and then we're so quick to point out the "small birds" like "starter birds"!:) I think that the best bird for anyone is the bird that chooses them and the one that seems to fit best in a person's lifestyle. I'll be the first to admit that Cockatoos can be absolutely hell on wheels but I've also met some that are amazing and yes, every single bird is a study of one. I think it has to be about research...with Cockatoos, lots of research!:) I too have taken some very nasty bites from not only my own Cockatoos but from Cockatoos at the rescue I used to volunteer from and, like you, I lost feeling in my thumb for a good six months due to a U2 bite! It's not something that should be taken lightly. But then again, Kishka RB2, the light of my life has come after me with his beak wide open and attacked my neck and my ears on several occasions since hitting maturity and those are some of the worst bites I have ever gotten in my life! From a bird who I raised and loved more than life itself and he's just 350 grams of pink and white! It all comes with the territory and also depends on the personality of the person who's diving into bird ownership...how much are you really willing to put up with? I think we've had this discussion on more than one occasion, what other pets would we let poop on us and bite us and talk back to us, but most of us here will tell anyone that our relationships with our birds can't compare to that of any other animal!:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I too have taken some very nasty bites from not only my own Cockatoos but from Cockatoos at the rescue I used to volunteer from and, like you, I lost feeling in my thumb for a good six months due to a U2 bite! It's not something that should be taken lightly. But then again, Kishka RB2, the light of my life has come after me with his beak wide open and attacked my neck and my ears on several occasions since hitting maturity and those are some of the worst bites I have ever gotten in my life! From a bird who I raised and loved more than life itself and he's just 350 grams of pink and white! It all comes with the territory and also depends on the personality of the person who's diving into bird ownership...how much are you really willing to put up with? I think we've had this discussion on more than one occasion, what other pets would we let poop on us and bite us and talk back to us, but most of us here will tell anyone that our relationships with our birds can't compare to that of any other animal!:)

I had a two year old child bite my thumb and it was numb for 6 months. LOL. There are risks with all species. ;)