• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Drooling!

Savannah

Meeting neighbors
Ever since I got my Macaw two years ago he has always grinded his beak when hes going to sleep, and he starts to drool a little bit. Im not concerned cause he has been doing it since we got him at 4 months old and it only happenes while hes settling into bed. But I just wonder if anyone else has a drooler?

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Hi Savannah,

Not sure about the drooling but my little parrotlet grinds his beak too. Have you ever asked your vet about the drooling? I am sure some Macaw owners will come on to comment.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would take it as a sign of total contentment.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Is it a watery type substance and somewhat clear or is there food mixed in?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im trying to remember, but isnt there another species of parrot that drools? But I never knew macaws did. Interesting. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Nope, never seen drool here either in a macaw. I have seen mucous/drool strings in a Cockatoo that was thirsty.

Reactions: Ali

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper, my 21 yo GW female, has always had a wetter mouth than is normal for a macaw. Macaws do have saliva glands, but they are way back in the mouth and one rarely sees saliva. With Jasper I occasionally see saliva in the front of her mouth, but she doesn't actually drool. But then she also doesn't grind her beak - my other GW was a big time beak grinder.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think Capes or Vasas have been known to drool.

Savannah

Meeting neighbors
its just clear liquid, like water. It beads up on the tip and then drops, sometimes on my hand if I have approached him to pet him. No odor. No food. Just watery. Its not even thick.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Could he have just drank some water and this is a residual?

Savannah

Meeting neighbors
Maybe. Sometimes right before bed he goes to the food bowl to eat and drink. There are many nights when he has also just shared grapes with me.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Then it could be what is sitting in the beak. Keep an eye on that and see if there is more of a connection.

Grapes - keep in mind there are really no nutrients in grapes, they are high in sugar and water. I also will never buy stuff grown in Mexico or South America as they use chemicals there that the US has banned and it is not like you can wash that stuff off, the fruits/veggies GROW (fertilizers) from that stuff.

vortex319

Meeting neighbors
Noticed the same in my Alex. It's on the Kaytee Exact formula. Starting to ween. Growth is fine, very playful and vocal. But you can actually see the drooling.

Mostly clear, rarely food.

Nasal discharge has been treated with antibiotics.

Drooling is still evident.

McCAAAAAAW

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Patrick Macaw
My Male Green Wing drools. He does it when he holds my thumb in his beak and totally zones out.
My boy does the same thing!! Do you know what it means?

Nouf

Walking the driveway
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nouf
Interesting, our baby blue and gold macaw (Tangawizi) grinds her beak at bed/nap time but never drools.

Aibuhu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ebu
Maybe. Sometimes right before bed he goes to the food bowl to eat and drink. There are many nights when he has also just shared grapes with me.
Noticed the same in my Alex. It's on the Kaytee Exact formula. Starting to ween. Growth is fine, very playful and vocal. But you can actually see the drooling.

Mostly clear, rarely food.

Nasal discharge has been treated with antibiotics.

Drooling is still evident.
My boy does the same thing!! Do you know what it means?
Hı everyone, my Alexanderie doing same thing. Should i worried? He seems very healthy

Last edited: