• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

how to stop the biting?

Atticus

Moving in
Real Name
Mazin Mohamed
bolt is only around 6 weeks old and has always been a bit aggressive but now its getting a little irritating because now he bites hard. he bites me on the ear mostly and when i look at him he flys at my face and bites me on the face. he has even made me bleed once. i really want this to stop. also i bought him a little friend for him recently because i thought he was lonley.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you been working on earning his trust? Does he have enough toys to occupy him? (Did this behavior start after the little friend arrived?)

Atticus

Moving in
Real Name
Mazin Mohamed
ive been working on his trust alot. also i dont know what kind of toys to give it and its been behaving this way way before i got the little friend

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What is the species of bird? Wait….. six WEEKS old? Do you mean six MONTHS old? If that's the case you need to start again from the beginning. Do not allow your bird on your shoulder. When you hold him keep him on your hand and no higher than chest level. If he attempts to climb up your arm use your other hand to prevent him from climbing up. You have to regain control ( because when he's on your shoulder you have no control). It would be easier for you to learn handling through a good video to show the proper techniques for training.

Here's an article for you to read written by Barbara Heidenreich -

Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Help! My Parrot Wont Step Up!

Atticus

Moving in
Real Name
Mazin Mohamed
he is 6 weeks old for sure buts thanks for the link

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm surprised he is being so aggressive this early. You are still giving him formula, right?

What do you do when he bites you? How do you handle it?

There are lots of toys you can give him, but be careful that there's nothing toxic or anything he could get his feet or head caught in (or through). Lovebirds love to chew and destroy things, so wood and leather toys are popular with them. They also love swings.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hmm. 6 weeks old. That's very young, and flying at you ? You didn't mention the species of bird. How about sharing some photos.