• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

having a problem keeping weight on.

haines1911

Checking out the neighborhood
I got my jenday conure from a petsmart, and they had him completely off hand feeding and were not feeding any fresh fruits. I have tried to get him to eat them now, but he won't, as well as he does not want to take anything by hand. What can I do to make sure he is getting the nutrition he needs? He is only 2 1/2 years old. I already buy several foods and mix them, but he only picks out the seeds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Is your conure actually loosing weight or are you just concerned that he's not getting proper nutrition?

Ark

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Do you know how much he weighs? I think keeping on weight versus nutrition in general are somewhat different categories. If your bird is losing weight, I'd be concerned that he's sick. How long have you had him? If he has always been a picky eater, you'll find lots of help here with ideas to add variety to his diet!

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
If he's losing weight then he might sick, make an appointment for him to see the veterinarian.

Are you feeding any conure pellets? If so does eat those? If he is he shouldn't be losing weight unless he's ill.