• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tricks to Train a Cockatiel

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
He knows step up and we are working on step down. I am going to try spin, but other than those tricks i don't really know any. Please post some of the tricks you have trained your birds to do, though Cockatiels are not nearly as smart as a grey.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny gives kisses. :)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
We play show me your wings, where Bella does the eagle, fetch, which means she drops and I catch. With Buddy, my first tiel, we played a lot of games. We played peek a boo, where's the birdie (I say that and she would chirp). When I sang when you're happy and you know it say a chirp and Buddy would chirp. I had a toy computer for Buddy and I would say go to your puter and she would. Bella is a little more stubborn and I have to figure out what games she wants to play.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I don't know that it would be right to compare tiels' with other species. Personally, I would teach anything. It is fun to try, and who knows, maybe they would surprize you. At this point, I have Odin playing with a ball.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Thanks for all the advice, my other new idea is maybe teaching the bird to fetch by throwing millet onto the ground and showing him what it is. Also i have him in training for following (I walk around and he follows me)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
shake hands, hi 4 and low 4.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thanks for all the advice, my other new idea is maybe teaching the bird to fetch by throwing millet onto the ground and showing him what it is. Also i have him in training for following (I walk around and he follows me)
You mean like this?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Tricks like these????

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Now that is neat! I liked the "human fetch the millet" too! LOL, everytime Odin drops something, I say Oh, Oh! Maybe one day he will say that when he wants me to fetch.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I think that you will find that your cockatiel is more limited by his/ her size and strength rather than by intellect. It is kind of like although I can't quote tax law to you, but how many lawyers do you know that can repair their own car? There are many different types of intelligence and not just one or two kinds, which in my opinion prevents me from comparing the intelligence of my Grey with that of my Amazon or Senegal or even of my parrotlet, they all excel at some thing that require them to express their intelligences.