• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for advise for a prolific egg layer!

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Hello All,

I am hoping that someone can help me. I apologize for the lengthy post, but wanted to cover all the issues I have been having with our 7.5 year old Eclectus.

I have been keeping a log book and since May 22 she has laid 40 eggs. I have tried everything under the sun to help her. I bought a $100+ black bird cage cover and shortened her daylight time. I moved her cage and switched around/removed toys. I tried very expensive realistic fake eclectus eggs. Since I am the object of her desire, I have my wife hold her more and me less and even have my wife as the designated "feeder". I tried all kinds of toys and she has no interest.

Some issues I have had: We live in a split level home and Sophie's cage is in the living room/dining room which is where we tend to be at night. I did try moving her to a smaller covered cage at bedtime in a dark, unused bedroom but I could here her crying (which broke my heart). I also noticed she slept during the day which meant to me that she wasn't even sleeping in that bedroom at night. The avian vet thinks it would be less stressful to go ahead and cover her in the living room even though we watch tv at night and are up until 11-12.

Another issue, she has always had such beautiful feathers, but in May when she started laying, she plucked them out around her vent--I have been told this is normal. But now, she is featherless from her breast down to her vent and that's a first for her. She has been like this for months and when new growth comes in she tends to remove it.

My "bird guy" (not a vet but extremely knowledgeable) said that for all 27 of his birds, he does not have grids in the bottom of the cage. He advised that it is preferable to have her shredding paper than shredding herself. I am unsure of this because she is still featherless in the area mentioned and the paper shredding is all she seems to want to do all day--she also practically lives under the paper. I realize this is nesting behavior, but he said she wants a baby and she will continue laying until she gets one.

I have tried all kinds of toys and diversions but she is not interested. I usually cannot have her on my shoulder for more than 2 minutes before she crawls down my arm, starts regurgitating, and saying any word she knows. She also tried to get in front of my face and move back and forth, remove my glasses etc. She has never been bitey or aggressive though.

She has been to 2 avian vets. The first vet simply gave me advice and didn't do anything at all. The second vet she is currently seeing did blood work and looked down her throat (I forget what the name of the part is inside the throat that he checked but I think it begins with a "c") and he showed me a photo of what a healthy birds barbs (in the throat ) look like. He said that Sophie's are even sharper than the bird's in the photo and that whatever I am doing to feed/nourish her to keep on doing it. He was very surprised at how healthy she is when by the time he saw her she had already laid 30+ eggs.

He has given her 2 shots of depo provera so far, each one is 3ml I think (or 3 mcgs?). The first one stopped her behavior for about a week and the 2nd shot seemed to do nothing at all. The Dr advised he has never had to give a parrot more than 2 shots and he has more than 1000 parrots in his practice. He insists that before each shot he does bloodwork (which has been fine) to check her liver, so she gets the bloodwork and then about 2 days later a shot. Ech time this costs $150. He has other vets/techs in his practice but I insist on seeing only him. I have scheduled a visit with him (he can't see her until March 10 and she is going to lay another egg prior to this, I can tell). I am going to tell him how upset I am with her quality of life. Before this egg-laying she used to be playful (some days ornery) and mischievious (in a cute way). Now she just shreds paper and tries to mate with me. I even stopped wearing cologne. I also want to ask him about upping the next dose of Depo (I read the range is 5-25 and he has given her 3 twice) or trying Lupron which he said he has never used. He is most likely the best avian vet in our state of Pa.

Lastly, her last 15-20 eggs or so have thin shells to little/no shells. Of course I am concerned with egg binding and other issues. I have tried putting crushed calcium in her food, grating cuttlebone, and even tums. But if the slightest bit of foreign substance in her food, she won't touch it. (incidentally she loves Red Delicious apples but won't eat Golden, Gala, Kiku or any other variety-picky bird!). She does eat a small amount of scrambled egg with crushed shell about 2x per week.

A couple of years ago she laid 3 eggs, sat on one for 28-30 days and was done. This time she lets them fall wherever (usually from a high perch in her cage) and every egg breaks. In the beginning she laid some nice eggs but later on I'd see a beak puncture in them.

At this point, I am thinking of putting the grid back in her cage (she's plucking anyway) and putting her in that empty bedroom (where she cries) to hopefully shake her up and stop this craziness. At this point I forget what it's like to have a normal bird!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Joel

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Is there any possibility you could put her in a "strange" cage to make her feel insecure? That usually causes mine to stop immediately. I leave them in the strange cage for a month before switching them back. You can also use that strange room phobia to make her feel insecure and shut off the egg production.

Do you give your bird birdy bread or cookies? You can load it with calcium sources and most birds love it. During egg time I put calcium from oyster shell, cuttlebone and that mineral clay, all in fine powder form, into Harrison's birdy bread mix.

Sending warm fuzzy hugs and healing energy to you and your bird.

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Hello Laurel Feather Cat,

Thank you kindly for your reply and advice! I am def going to try the strange room/cage again. Although I am trying to decide if I should wait until I speak to the vet on 3/10. I hate to hear her crying from that room but it's for her own good.

Thank again!

Joel

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry, I don't have any experience with egg laying, but I do know that you have to increase her calcium, judging by the condition of her eggs. Injections are the best and act the quickest, but if you aren't comfortable giving injections that's not a solution. Do you have a mineral block in her cage? Mineral Block, Medium . I have read that cuttlebones don't provide as much calcium and none of the trace minerals.

I wouldn't get the flavored ones, because you might get a flavor that she doesn't like.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First let me explain what your vet was talking about in your birds mouth. The Choanal Pappilae are like little fingers in the "V" of the top of the birds mouth. When they are pronounced they are healthy. When they appear blunt to non existant it means your bird has a severe Vit A deficiency.
Healthy
papillae.jpg

Secondly, from what I have heard from others with prolific egg-layers they felt that the Lupron injection was more successful in minimalizing egg production. You may want to talk to your vet about this. With every egg she lays she is depleting her body of important calcium and other vits. Being that the eggs are already thin shelled she is showing signs of calcium deficiency now. She may need an injection as well as supplements. Definitely put the grate back in her cage. cut back on day light hours and warm mushy foods. I hope you see some improvement oon!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like your girl needs a vet appt. right away for some calcium injections. Talk to your vet about the Suprelorin Implant. Also talk to your vet about a pelleted diet. I'm not sure if Eclectus can have pellets but if she has blunted choanal pappilae her diet needs to be addressed asap.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm sorry I don't know anything about egg laying problems except to make sure her calcium is no depleted. My advice is also to get her back to the vet. I hope she'll be alright.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So she breaks them and you remove them? Could you flood her with them?

DummyEggs.com Dummy Eggs Stop Bird Egg Laying! Fake Falso Faux Plastic Eggs

I would also ask about the lupron as I know there is a limit to how many depos you can have done. He can give her a calcium injection at the same time.

Yes. You did not say what your doing with all these eggs? She needs to keep them. Flooding her with fakes and leaving them in there is a good idea.

Just a couple of things that come to mind.

Ekkies are known for their very lengthy hormonal periods. I have heard it lasting as long as 9 months.

As mentioned the calcium problem needs to be addressed immediately. Injections are the emergency fix. IME she is going to need a "complete" supplement like "prime" or "nekton" that not only provides a high quality calcium (gluconate) that is much more absorbable. More importantly she needs all the other nutrients in the proper balance/ratio which is what this kind of supplement provides. Without these other elements she could eat nothing but calcium and get absolutely no benefit from it.

There is no easy (or even hard as you know) answer.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One other thing to address - is she getting natural light? Sunlight, unfiltered through glass. Glass filters out all UV rays.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I use three natural sun bulbs in my boardroom. I have 16 years of egg production and could see the decrease in egg numbers from when I started with the lights. It does help.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My vet told me that a liquid calcium administered orally has better absorption than the powdered substances like prime, or cuttlebone. You may want to ask your vet to prescribe you some. I gave this to Josie twice a day when her blood test showed she was low on calcium, and it was accepted fairly well. I think it's supposed to have a rather pleasant taste, too.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Calcium gluconate is very sweet and my birds would take it from the syringe or even eat an unsalted cracker with it applied. Easiest med I ever gave.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is some interesting reading here, especially about raspberry leaf. Dried raspberry leaf supplement may work synergistically with light cycle manipulation (see below) but can also be used on its own. There’s not any hard-and-fast rule for supplementation, but typically ½ to 1 teaspoon per half-pound of food is sufficient. The exact method of raspberry’s action is undocumented but it seems to have some hormone-like action that stops hens from further ovulations, and may help ease passage of eggs already shelled and in the oviduct. It may also be brewed administered as a prophylactic treatment in future years. The raspberry leaf should be started about 4 weeks before the date that the first egg was laid. Excessive Egg-laying in Birds

jfish930

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joel
Wow-thank you everyone for all of the replies! I know her situation seems dire, but as I mentioned the vet advised that her choanal pappilae barbs (thanks for reminding me what it's called) are even sharper than the photo he keeps to show an unhealthy bird vs a healthy bird. Vet can't figure out why, but he stated she is extremely healthy and to keep doing whatever I am doing. I do understand that thin shells mean calcium depletion--she does have a mineral block (which she usually ignores), I do give her Nekton each morning (vet advised just one brief shake) and I put the nekton on the 3 Nutriberries that she loves to eat each a m along with her other foods, so I know she is eating all of the Nekton. I have been told that my avian vet is a one of the top vets in my state and he has not recommended a calcium shot--I am going to ask him at her appointment next week. As for calcium vitamins, supplements etc., Eclectuses have a very unique digestive system whereas too much or too little of something can cause toe-tapping and /or wing tipping. She does get about 2 tbsp. of scrambled eggs with shell about 2x per week.

Sophie does have a Featherbrite bulb. Vet says I am doing everything right, and I have tried everything under the sun. I am going to have to go with what my gut tells me and that is put her in a smaller sleep cage (still enough room but not huge like her main cage) in a strange room. I hate to do it as last time (months ago) that I tried this she cried and then I dont think she slept at all at night because when I put her back in her regular cage the next day, she slept all day. My guts tells me that between this tactic along with putting the grid back in the bottom of her cage ill "shake her up" enough to turn off the hormones.

Thanks again everyone!

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I've heard that some parrots really need to sit on their eggs until they realize they're not going to hatch, and this usually helps. Some birds aren't fooled by dummies, so if any don't break, you might leave her to tend to her eggs until SHE abandons them, perhaps? Just a thought. =)

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
The plural of eclectus is eclectus ;)

It sounds like you have a solid game plan for your girl. Its no good when we have to purposefully shake up their lives, did moving her to another room help with the eggs last time?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
There is some interesting reading here, especially about raspberry leaf. Dried raspberry leaf supplement may work synergistically with light cycle manipulation (see below) but can also be used on its own. There’s not any hard-and-fast rule for supplementation, but typically ½ to 1 teaspoon per half-pound of food is sufficient. The exact method of raspberry’s action is undocumented but it seems to have some hormone-like action that stops hens from further ovulations, and may help ease passage of eggs already shelled and in the oviduct. It may also be brewed administered as a prophylactic treatment in future years. The raspberry leaf should be started about 4 weeks before the date that the first egg was laid. Excessive Egg-laying in Birds
I put the leaf in their water. They all love the raspberry tea.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did you pick the leaf or find it in a store?