• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiny is home!

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
Tiny arrives today just an hour ago. She's a Lasiodora parahybana tarantula. I'll get pictures of her later, she seems to experience rough shipping or "jet lag" (if she has a brain that complex....), and is staying still in her new enclosure at the moment. However, the dealer packed her so well no damage is done to her :).

My father and grandma find her hilarious. When I open the package, I open it at the wrong side, causing her to be in an upside down position like a molting tarantula. We can't help but thought she's dead on arrival, only for her to flip herselp up to her normal position, and walks calmly into her new container :laugh:.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Congratulations on your new tarantula! Can't say I'm excited to see pics because spiders give me the heebie jeebies but I'm happy for you. :laugh:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Glad she got home OK.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I guess I'm weird, but I like tarantulas. We have a lot of them in AZ (the Mexican Brown Legs). Once my Mother and I were sitting on her front porch watching a big thunderstorm and here came a Tarantula climbing up the steps. It stayed on the porch until the downpour stopped then went on it's way.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
I guess I'm weird, but I like tarantulas. We have a lot of them in AZ (the Mexican Brown Legs). Once my Mother and I were sitting on her front porch watching a big thunderstorm and here came a Tarantula climbing up the steps. It stayed on the porch until the downpour stopped then went on it's way.
AZ= Arizona?
If so I think you find some of the Aphonopelma species. Most of them are indigenous to Arizona and Texas. Quite rare in the hobby, but many say they worth every penny (attractive and relatively docile)!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not being a tarantula expert, this is what we natives call the Mexican Brown Leg.
Really the MX Red Knee. We see quite a few of them.

This is the Aphonopelma - now I'm confused.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Not being a tarantula expert, this is what we natives call the Mexican Brown Leg.
Really the MX Red Knee. We see quite a few of them.

This is the Aphonopelma - now I'm confused.
The above one is from the Brachypelma genus, specifically Brachypelma smithi.
I don't know before that they are called Brown Legs in Arizona :bag:. But yeah, the "universal" common name is the MX Red Knee.

But if you say Brown Leg to some tarantula expert (not me), they might think of Texas Brown (Aphonopelma hentzi). But if "Brown" and "from Arizona", they might think of Grand Canyon Black (Aphonopelma behlei), a true Arizona guy.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Congrats on your spider. I have a friend who owns an exotic pet store and he has spiders. I'm not going to say that they are my favorite but I don't mind looking at them.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
What does one do with a pet tarantula. I heard they can shoot their abdomen hairs out and it can sting like the spikes on a small cactus. Also do they bite, i would imagine that they can not be trained not to because of their basic brain. It looks like a cool pet for feeding time, but one that you could never really interact with, but i do not know much about tarantulas.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Yes when stressed the hairs in their body are released and they are irritating. Not exactly painful but it doesnt feel good to have their hairs stuck in your soft skin of your neck and under arms! Yikes!

Most T's are hands off pets. Or an animal to gently hold for a few minutes, take some pics while on your body or wherever and then put back into their enclosure to minimize stress. :) They're losds of fun and exciting. I love tarantulas.

To the OP - Congrats!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
This time I must pass......:scared1:

ArowanaLover

Would love to see, i would imagine they are VERY fun to feed, btw can you post some pics of the mandibles.

Kerplunq

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ryan
I'm pretty excited to see some pics!!! Hope ya post them soon. I wanted one for so long, but the Mrs, wont let me :( She's not even scared of spiders :sad3:

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Here. I'm sorry for a very bad lighting. Since she also acts like my science project, I placed her near to a 5% lid window to make her aware of the day-night cycle (she lives in her burrow as you can see, and will come out during dusk)
Her color also blends with the substrate -"-

Attachments

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
As some others have said, spiders are not my thing, but I do think they are cool to look at! Congratulations on your new addition and I hope that she continues to do well in her new home :D

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
He/she is cute! Spiders are not usually cute, but this one is! Congratulations on your new addition!:spider:

ArowanaLover

I like the idea of having a tarantula, but for now ive got too many pets (gecko, bird, and more fish then i know of)