• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure color

Threnody

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Threnody Monsoon
I have a yellow sided conure who is a year and a sun conure who's 6 months.

My question is will either of them have radical color changes?
My conure has a bright red tail, brighter blue flight feathers, red chest with yellow sides, grey head with a red dot in the center of her forehead, and of course green wings.

My baby sun conure has a speckled green ad yellow head, orange on his thighs, around his eyes and near his neck, almost turquoise flight and tail feathers, and a yellowish orange chest.

Any help? They're my first conures. I've only had lovebirds before.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Your sun conure will most likely lose at least some of his green. After a few molts they tend to get their adult coloring. The adult coloring replaces some of the green feathers with yellow ones. There are some who will not change much, but many do change. Have you seen pictures of the parents? Looking at them can give you a good idea of the color changes that yours will go through.

Matt

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
Pretty birds! Your sun is already a cute little guy, but just wait! His colours will get a lot brighter and more vibrant as he gets older - the yellow and green on the body will deepen into gold and sometimes even orange, and a lot of the green on the wings will brighten to yellow, though there will still be some green. It can take a couple of years for their full adult colouring to come in, but adult suns are stunning! The amount of green on their wings and whether their body feathers are bright yellow or more orangey will depend on the parents.

Your green cheek won't have any change nearly so dramatic. My (normal) green cheek's colours have become a little bit more vibrant as he's gotten older - a little more aqua on the back of his neck where it changes from grey to green for instance - but nothing super noticeable.

Threnody

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Threnody Monsoon
I haven't see the parents of Misty, sun conure, she was a rescue from euthanasia. I still don't understand why that Was going to happen. She's healthy and loving.

My yellow sided conure,Myrtle, looks similar to her parents but more speckled in color. There's dots of different color all over her, i.e. Red speckles on her green feathers.

Interesting fact: All of my birds are named after American Horror Story: Coven. Lol. I'll attach photos. Myrtle Snow, Quentin Fleming, Misty Day, Madame Delphine LaLaurie, and Cecily Pembroke(Pimbie). 2015-02-09 09.53.21.jpg 2015-02-09 09.55.17.jpg 2015-02-09 10.05.07.jpg 2015-02-09 09.35.20.jpg 2015-02-09 09.44.51.jpg

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Suns end up in rescues because of noise! I have a sun and as they molt the brightest feathers come in. I posted a few picks online under the thread called what to do on a snowy day, she is 4yrs old :cool: