• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Breed

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have heard so many breeds that aren't compatible with parrots, any suggestions, I lost my last greyhound last year, I am ready for a new dog now. Thanks :cool:

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I have a mini aussie that is great with my parrots, she could care less about them. I did just get a brittany puppy and so far so good but, plan on her being outside more when the parrots are on their play stands since she is a bird hunting dog.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have someone that wants to give me a basenji and chihuahua mix. Not sure about that mix

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
In general, dogs with a high prey drive (specifically terriers, hunting-types, and spitz breeds) will be worse with birds/small animals.
Dogs bred to not take prey (specifically herding breeds) can do better. I'd imagine everything else is going to depend on a the dogs personality, but it might be worth a quick check on some of the other breeds to see what they were bred to do.
Every dog is an individual, and there will be exceptions within every breed. Sight hounds, like your greyhound, that might be fine 95% of the time or herding breeds that didn't get the memo they aren't supposed to eat what they guard.

So I would personally pass on the basenji mix because they are hunting dogs, and judging on their size, probably bred to hunt small prey like a terrier.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I thought herding breeds would be a problem. I have been asked to take a look at a sheltie, I said no because of Valentine

Ark

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I agree with Ankou. I think herding type dogs are probably the best bet, because they're less naturally inclined to attack rather than just chase, and they're also usually very biddable and eager to please. That makes them the easiest dogs to train, in my opinion.

CrestieLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ellen
I have 3 hairless chinese cresteds, 1 shih tzu, 1 Shihtzu-Maltese mix, 2 pomeranians, & 1 chihuahua. All are good with Larry except 1 of my cresties - but he even picks on the chihuahua. I thinks it more a personality thing.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Personally, I wouldn't recommend a basenji to anyone with birds. I know a few basenjis and all would go out of their way to kill a small animal. Their owner has a hard time keeping them from killing rabbits and they will leap 5 feet in the air to grab a wild bird. They can be tricky to train too. They are really more like cats than dogs.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
IMO you should seek a shelter or a rescue for help. Either an older dog that has a known quiet disposition, or a pup you can bring up.
With a shelter you can tell them the dog/pup must not be super prey driven, and if it doesn't work out, you can exchange him/her for a less prey driven dog.
They should be happy to help as they're interested in long term homes, and want people and pups to match. Rescues probably more so.

I have herding dogs and they do fine with my birds. I really think any breed might work depending on the individual dog, how they were raised, and their individual temperament.

Pick a breed you like if you're going the breed route. Then find a breeder that breeds for temperament. Explain to them what you need, they should know their pups/dogs well and be able to match you with a calm dog. A good breeder will be more expensive, but the right one can be a godsend with help and knowledge.

Some dogs like the Pekingese (royal lapdogs) and the Keeshond (barge mascots) were mainly bred for companionship. Both in my opinion might work well if you don't mind hair. ;)

senorabarb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I don't trust any of my dogs to be with my parrots. If a dog is on the main level, all the parrots must be in their cages.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got in touch with a lady I did greyhound rescue with, told her what I wanted and I will have a new dog by April. She is part of the prison program and will be graduating 3/15. All I know is name, Luna and she has one ear. If Bev recommended her, she's a good one.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Glad you have a connection you trust. I would be inclined to trust herding dogs and even retrievers more than others. Retrievers are just so willing to please and they are bred to work with people. I think you want to avoid dogs that are bred to do their jobs independent of humans - terriers in particular. I really think it depends on the dog and the person, more than anything else.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Be very careful with a rescued racing greyhound (if that is what this dog is). They are bred and trained to follow a small fleeing animal/object.

They can be very prey driven when their instinct is aroused. Please be sure you can return this dog is you see dangerous signs. If this is an older dog, it will be set in it's way.

I pray this is not what you will see.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Some of the herding breeds are softer herders being able to herd ducks or small animals. Rough collies are known to be gentle herders vs breeds such as blue heelers which nip at heels and faces to move the herd and that is usually cattle. Corgis are heel nippers as well. My female collie would herd the baby frogs into a circle on the driveway and then guard them. She was fabulous with the grandbabies. My rabbit would hang out with the two collies as that is how gentle they were. I also had a polish lowland sheepdog and they can live with a herd and don't always need a shephard. They would protect the herd from predators so were gentle with what they protected. For her, she would be fine but I taught her she must have a toy in her mouth if she went near the birds. Everyday she would get up and check for all the birds. She guarded them as well. She would gently herd people away from the bird cages if she did not think they should be that close! Yorkies are terriers and can be quite vigorous with a chase. Golden retrievers have their soft lines of being bred and would be excellent. Labs are good but too exhuberant until they are at least 3 years old.

I currently have two mixes of chihuahua, poodle, chinese crested. They have minimal barking and show no aggression. My Chinese Crested may hunt a bug but totally ignores the birds. The little ones are 3-4 lbs so I worry more with the large macaw chasing/biting them than the other way. The one would sit on the macaw tail and the macaw would pull him around on the floor!

It is an individual thing but read more which dogs have less toy drive poor prey drive.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I did greyhound rescue for over 15 years. True, they are trained to race but after they are retired and off the track, they just want to have the puppyhood they never had. They are just a big ball of fluff and want to please you. But, thanks for your concern. :cool:

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
I have an old Shepard mixed dog adopted as a senior that we affectionately call ' Grandpa' Grandpa doesn't bother with the birds. When I first got my Jenday something frightened her and she flew down and landed on Grandpas back. What did Grandpa do? He got up and went to go get a drink of water, all the while the Jenday was riding on his back. At that point I considred a saddle for Grandpa! ( kidding aside)

My Green cheek will sometimes accidentally fly down and Grandpa could care less. My lovebird who wants to make a husband out of everything flies on Grandpa. This is discouraged of course and I tell her no.

With that said, I think you have to be careful with any dog, mixed breed, purebred or what have you. Stay away from the obviously well known dogs with high prey drive. I believe Shepards generally have high prey drive but my mix is so old and mellow, he also has slight dementia and he doesn't care about anything except his dinner.

Maybe a adopt a mellow mixed senior citizen like I did?

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
You either love the flat faces or hate them, but I have had boston terriers all my life and have never had to worry about them and my animals. They are more bulldog in personality than terrier personality depending. One time my hamster got out and practically crawled in bed with my boston and she just looked at it and shook and whined. She also never bothered my rabbit at all. The two I have now are terrified of my birds - even the parrotlet, and show zero interest in them other than avoiding them.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Question, what about a beagle or a French bulldog

Kelli

Real Name
Kelli
I'm all for the french bulldog! lol but i love smooched faces. I can't imagine any one I've ever known being too interested in catching much of anything. I've never been a big fan of beagles (personal preference) and I do believe they were bread to help hunt or something, maybe someone with beagle experience can weigh in.