• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot toys for gcc

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
I'm looking for ideas for foot toys for my gcc. He isn't much of a chewer thankfully.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
I have used buttons put hemp rope through the holes and strung beads from the rope. Or a peice of paulie rope with beads strung on it and a small bell at the bottom. lollipop sticks with beads on each end. The sturdier cat balls with the bell inside (but that should be a supervised toy just in case the bell gets chewed out)

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
We have tried beads and he will play with them for a few minutes then gets bored. He also has a cat ball that he does occasionally play with. Can I get lollipop sticks at a craft store?

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Yes. They are in the cake decorating area at hobby lobby. I also get mini cupcake liners and make mini puff balls. Roma is scared of the large ones, but loves the smaller version!

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
Thank you I will have to try the lollipop sticks. I have used the cupcake liners with Mozzie but only as a foraging toy. I hide his sunflower seeds in them. He loved that.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Try those paper straws, too. :)

Apollo Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
You could also buy a few finger traps, maybe stuff some treats in there so its a foraging foot toy?

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Apollo Bird that's a good idea. I do have finger traps. I will have to try that.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My maroon belly also likes water bottle caps. I give her the plastic caps off of different drinks. I often come home to find them all squentially stacked by size, with a peanut on the top! She is a little nut!

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
That's cute rockybird. I will have to start collecting them.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
My maroon belly also likes water bottle caps. I give her the plastic caps off of different drinks. I often come home to find them all squentially stacked by size, with a peanut on the top! She is a little nut!
This is a good idea. But could they ever chew thru the caps and swallow bits of plastic? I'm probably worrying for nothing.

I gave my cinnamon some water bottle caps tonight, one off a Dasani bottle and another off a Geyser bottle, they do seem hard enough but I took them away before bedtime because I can't watch what he does during the night.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Dry macaroni noodles are a favorite of my GCC. Obviously they don't last long, but they are cheap and fun to crunch into bits. Small pieces of balsa are also fun.

Most toys actually sold as foot toys for parrots are meant for larger birds, and, even if your GCC loves the toy, their foot will get tired and they will drop the toy within a few minutes.

Now, if you are just looking for small bottom-of-cage toys, and not toys your bird has to actually hold in his foot, then there are a lot of toy barbells and balls that can be lots of fun. Just beware of toy balls with jingle-type bells in them - those can catch claws so they should be for supervised play only.

Lavalleer

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Karen256, what I'm really looking for is something for him to play with when he is out of his cage. Something that will keep him entertained longer than a few seconds.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Do you guys have platforms for this...where do you put these toys, i cant put mine on the bottom (poo) and cockatiels are perch potatoes and wouldn't go down there anyway.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
A lot of people just use toy bowls. With my GCC, back when I did use a cage for her, she would never poop in her cage, so it was fine to just throw toys into the bottom of the cage if they were larger, and I would put the smaller toy items like noodles in a bowl on the bottom of the cage. But if getting pooped on is a problem, you could just get a large dish that bolts to the side of the cage and put some small toys in there. Or a bowl or tray on top of the cage would work too, just expect some toys and toy pieces to end up flung to the floor.

DancingFeathers

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Triton isn't a fan of foot toys, but two have caught his eye! He has Two bottle caps with holes drilled in them and tied together with string which I put millet in for him. He adores it. I also love to tear up craft foam. Unfortunately, I discovered this after he demolished a foam-framed photo of me.:bignono: