• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nuts.com ( Almond Warning )

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
They need to pull them and not sell any longer. About 1/2 of those in Karen's picture have fungus on them. Fungus looks like fungus - it does not look like dirt. There are many bird owners who are not aware of the dangers of Asper.

I just ordered some almonds off of Amazon and they are perfect. I have bought my nuts from Treasured Harvest for years and have never had a problem.

I'm probably the only person in the world who doesn't like Nuts.com - ordered from them a couple of times and the orders were slow getting to me and they are way too high priced. You get to pay for all of the cutesy packaging.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Most almonds are from California. Recent documentaries talk of the water problems the area is facing and almonds are not doing the best.

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The whole almond crop this year is terrible. There have been extensive articles in the ag journals addressing this year's hull rot affliction, like record setting numbers. The thing about that, though, is other sites and sellers aren't sending out the afflicted nuts. They're sorting out the bad stuff or bleaching the shells (it happens...a lot).

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
that is so scary. i don't want moldy or bleached nuts and almonds are the only I buy for them. Only ones they can crack the shell of:(

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes there can be problems with crops and other food items for people, dogs, cats and others. The company rep though did not handle the situation very well and such poor customer service. It should have gone something like this "I am sorry you had this problem. Would you mind sending the bag back to us Or Discard that bag and we can send a replacement. We appreciate your business." We all talk and they should know this by now. My expectation is appropriate customer service.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
FYI Polly's Pistacho's is a great company to get pistacho's for your fid. No salt or oil in the roasting and timely shipping. Bodie and I love them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im glad they corrected the issue.

I hope they start discarding the bad nuts prior to shipping nuts to customers.

I have a question for folks who mentioned bleaching. Is this normal? Is this also considered safe?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Would that make these fungus covered almonds in shell OK and safe to eat since theyre treated or steam heated?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's supposed to kill all bacteria/fungus, but you know me and how I am about Asper.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
So, I made a very large order of shelled nuts a few months back and noticed some discoloration with some of the almonds. At first I paid little attention and tossed them as I have never had a problem with this company. I happened to open a bag that was quite disgusting and I sent them an email asking what I was seeing as I know what it looked like. No reply. A week or two later I called. The lady discussed the possibility of what she called hull rot, saying it was a bad season. She said she would have someone more experienced call me back. Not twenty minutes later a women called me explaining that what I was seeing was dirt. They claim they "no longer bleach the shell". I explained very clearly that I was not buying that story and that most of the almonds looked as usual.... all except the fungus looking ones... She assured me it was not a fungus and asked me to crack open the nut a take a look. At this point I told her I did not care what the inside of the nut looked like as my bird would already have it in his mouth! There was no resolution and she told me if I ordered more, they would look the same.

Being me, I brought the nuts to my vet. My vet ran some tests and talked with a few "nut" friends. THEY HAVE MOLD!!!! I know three more bird people that have noticed this as well, be on the lookout if you order from this company. Of course I took a picture. :wtf:

View attachment 195990
If you go to the nuts.com website, at the very bottom there is a large yellow box in the very bottom right hand corner which states unequivocally:
100% satisfaction
guaranteed

If you experience a problem with any of our products, customer service, shipping, or even if you just plain don't like what you bought, please let us know.

The devil is in the details and their detail is public, fair and square.

We'll do whatever it takes to make it right.

Sarah, I'd say call them on it!

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know you probably are just getting off work (if that) but I'm rooting for you.

Yes, it's been a long day. :dead:

See post #31. I called again armed with the information from my vet and they were this time MORE than happy to refund me. All in all I've had a rough couple of weeks and I was through being nice.... I'm hoping they are receiving enough complaints to pull the product completely. It seems so many of us had issues....

Thinking about it ..... I'm completely shocked to be the first one to post about it. :confused:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Yes, it's been a long day. :dead:

See post #31. I called again armed with the information from my vet and they were this time MORE than happy to refund me. All in all I've had a rough couple of weeks and I was through being nice.... I'm hoping they are receiving enough complaints to pull the product completely. It seems so many of us had issues....

Thinking about it ..... I'm completely shocked to be the first one to post about it. :confused:

Sorry to hear your last couple of weeks have been rough. Hope these next ones go better. Glad you had a better response from them. Now go get some much needed rest!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I prefer to buy my whole years supply of nuts when the crops are first harvested (fall for all except Brazil nuts) and store them in the freezer. I just don't like the idea that nuts are sitting around in bags and not even refrigerated. I want them fresh. When the government came up with the sterilization mandate, I can only find the almonds out of the shell that are neither steamed or chemically irradiated. Remember, even the ones that are labeled as 'raw' have been pasteurized one way or the other.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I called again armed with the information from my vet and they were this time MORE than happy to refund me. All in all I've had a rough couple of weeks and I was through being nice.... I'm hoping they are receiving enough complaints to pull the product completely. It seems so many of us had issues....
Sorry it's been a rough road lately Sarah. (((((hugs)))))

Here's the email I sent and received today;

SENT - Mar 1, 2:25 PM

I received my order of 2 - 5lb. bags of In-Shell Almonds on Friday 2/27/15. Upon opening them I found that they are black with a fungus or black mold. I immediately called and was told I would receive an email with directions and a label for return. To date I have received nothing. So I am following up a second time!

Also, the 5# bag of In-Shell Almonds that I had purchased in a prior order were mostly bad also, but I just kept systematically throwing out the poor ones, without complaint. These last two bags are over the top dangerous! I feed these to my parrots and I now feel that their health may have been compromised with these Almonds. I would like a refund for the bad Almond purchases. I am attaching a picture of the small random handful that I pulled out of the bag. The bag was filled with many many more of the rotten looking Almonds.

Please advise.
Thank you,
Karen

RESPONSE - Mar 1, 5:44 PM

Hi Karen,

Thank you for contacting us. You are quite correct that something looks very wrong in regards to these almonds. I will be having QA take a look at everything we have in the facility tomorrow, and will follow-up afterwards in regards to replacing these bags for you.

Thank you,
Sam

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm thinking this is as we thought.... A much bigger issue than just one store.

This order came today. Anuts.com

20150302_125643.jpg

I'm done buying almonds from the current seasons crop. Unless someone can find a perfect batch.... Let me know.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yuck! Going to head over to my local store.... see if our almonds are the same too :depressed:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am not happy. I got this email today;

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your patience. I have spoken with our QA department, who called our supplier, who came to take a look as well. The dark spotting you are seeing is safe; we cracked open a pound or so and the nuts inside were beautiful. Our supplier is, however, speaking with the grower as well as his QA department, as the striped discoloration does trouble him either way. He will let us know for certain that nothing is wrong as soon as he receives word that this is not cause for concern. He did explain that, unlike previous years, these shells have not been "bleached", which is why there is so much dirt on them. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you,
Sam

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I'm thinking this is as we thought.... A much bigger issue than just one store.

This order came today. Anuts.com

View attachment 196259

I'm done buying almonds from the current seasons crop. Unless someone can find a perfect batch.... Let me know.

Mine look fine....they are from the grocery store and the others are part of a parrot mix from Higgins.