• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

getting a budgie, have a LOT of questions!

ilikeyoshi

Moving in
Real Name
Yoshi
hi! i'm brand new here, but my parents finally (FINALLY) gave me the ok to get a bird, and i'm really excited but, having thought i had wouldn't be able to get a bird until i moved out and therefore having more time to research birds (and thus putting my immediate time to other things, like homework), i'm only just starting to get a serious grasp on proper bird care. i'm looking at getting a budgie, but i don't know when i will—my plan is to get a very firm grasp on healthy bird care first, before i even WORRY about actually obtaining the bird. there's a bird show in about 7 weeks not far from where i live, and i'm hopeful to get more information there, if i don't already feel confident enough to actually buy a bird.

my research literally started only about 12 hours ago—i've been up ALL NIGHT reading as much as i can. i'm really excited! i've managed to articulate a few questions, so, i was hoping i could ask them here and budgie owners could help me out? (a lot of these questions (if not all of them) are probably going to be more like generic bird care questions, but...)

okay, first of all: teflon. EVERYONE says it's deadly and i believe them! is there ANYTHING i can do, in the event i have teflon in my house (i don't know if i do, my parents aren't up yet so i haven't discussed finding this out with them yet), to protect a bird from getting hurt by it even if it's in the house and used? it'll live in my room, which is close to the kitchen (like, across the hall), but i have my door closed almost 24/7 for privacy reasons and i can have it closed even more than that if it'll do any good. some people talked about the air conditioner picking up the teflon fumes and transporting them all over the house—could simply not turning on the AC when cooking is going on/has recently gone on help at all? (i imagine, if yes, i'd have to have the AC off for a few hours after the cooking happened?) just, is there ANYTHING i can do? because if no, i know i have to tell my parents we can't have ANY teflon (and similar things) in our house, and if we do, and if it's a lot, we have to get rid of it or i just can't get the bird, but i'm afraid that's too much to ask of them (i mean, if we DO have teflon, we'd have to buy new pans, which costs money!). and if it is, the only other option is to not get the bird, which would be heartbreaking to me, but i'm not going to endanger the poor thing just because i really want one. i know what i have to do if my house is dangerous to birds, even if it sucks. :(

IF there's nothing i can do except get rid of ALL the teflon that i may or may not have (sorry—i'll check as soon as i can!), what should i expect to contain it? pots and pans, obviously, but one of the threads around here made inconclusive noises about coffee makers? COMPUTERS? my computer is in my room—is there likely to be teflon in there? and what can i get in place of non-stick/teflon products? i heard lots of people in another thread mention stainless steel. is that a good option? are there better ones? i read i need to check for the words "non stick, PTFE, PFOA and polytetrafluoroethylene." is there anything else related to those i should be wary of? i heard some people also say self-cleaning oven options are dangerous, and so were "some" cleaning products, i think. does anyone know which ones? can ANY of those dangers be nullified by shutting my door when they're being used?

okay. i think that's all my questions on THAT. it's kind of my biggest problem right now. moving on!

i was told all my life to simply clip a bird's wings, but in my 12-hour research palooza i heard a few people say it can actually cause them mental harm? or just generally make them sadder and less happy? and the more i look into it, the more i think i'd like my bird to be able to seriously fly anyway, because it could learn some neat tricks that way. but i'm worried my parents will be concerned with its ability to fly. i read that as long as the bird trusts me, it's unlikely to fly away from me, and with flight training i can even encourage the bird to fly TO me, or to its perch, or pretty much anything i train it to fly to.

obviously i have to ask my parents how they'd feel about "flighting" the bird (i think that's the term for, basically, NOT clipping its wings?), but one idea i had was clipping its wings at first, while it's still unsure of me, then training it as its feathers grow back to trust me. then, by the time it's wings are grown back, it'll have a good relationship with me, know i'm not going to hurt it, and perhaps won't generally fly away from me? would this strategy work? its feathers will grow back perfectly healthy, and clipping them won't hinder its ability to fly in the future, right? i thought this strategy might calm my parents some, because while the bird is unsure and nervous, it won't be able to fly very far. (obviously i would keep it shut in my room with me when it's out anyway, especially when it's new and i'm training it, so even if it DID have unclipped wings it couldn't get out, but i'd like to console my parents as much as possible (especially if i have to ask them to throw out half their kitchen lol), so i don't mind clipping its wings for a little while and then letting them grow out when it trusts me, unless that would endanger its mental health or hinder its flight in the future.)

i also read that drafts are not good for birds at all, which got me thinking about the temperature habits of my room in general. i have a ceiling fan (which i would turn off when my bird is out, of course), and i use it in the summer (often on high, but i could deal with lower settings) because it gets stuffy and warm in my room otherwise. would the airflow created by that fan be safe for my bird in its cage? would a warm room (like, warm enough to make me sweat) be dangerous to it? (i read budgies are pretty tough about temperatures, but that was only one source, so i'm a little hesitant to just buy that...). i also use a heat fan to keep my feet warm in the winter (i'm very prone to the cold), but that wouldn't blow directly on the cage at all, it's in totally the wrong place compared to where i'm thinking of putting my bird. still, would the overall warmth of the room when it's on be a problem?

those are my three biggest question categories, i guess. i'm feeling pretty good about diets after reading up on that for, like, four hours. most people i've checked suggest harrison's, a couple also suggested dr. harvey's. do you guys think either of those would be okay? are there others that are better? something cheap but still proper and good for my bird would be preferable. would it be significantly better to learn how to make my own mixes? that sounds a little intimidating to me, but if it's severely better than relying on prepackaged mixes, i can learn. i know seeds should be a very minimal part of a bird's diet—is it okay to make them EXCLUSIVELY treats for training (which is what i'd prefer, if only because it's a little easier on my brain to just say "no seeds except for training"), or SHOULD i include just a little in their normal diet?

more toxin questions! everyone i've read from says human saliva is toxic. again, i believe them. i've seen some people kiss their birds—just little closed-lip pecks—are those dangerous? should i wash my hands before handling my bird, and if so, should i use soaps, or would that be a bad idea? are there any shampoos or body washes i should be worried about lingering on me when i go to play with my bird?

for something easy to put at the bottom of the cage for cleaning: would normal paper work? like, the kind you stick in a printer (actually, would printer ink be okay?)? my mom has offered to let me use the paper she prints daily for work reasons (which becomes useless by the time the day's over, and she usually throws it away), and i thought that'd be really convenient, but it's standard paper with printer ink all over it, and i'm wondering if that could potentially be dangerous? if i had a grid between the paper and the rest of the cage, would the bird's inability to chew on it make it safe enough to use?

okay, i think i've exhausted my 12 hours worth of notes, lol. i'm BRAND NEW to this, so, if you wanna throw additional advice at me, i'm ALL ears! like i said, i'm not gonna get this bird until i'm ready to take care of it properly. one of the very first things i heard, at the beginning of my research, is that lots of budgies only live for a fraction of their lifespan due to negligence or ignorance. i DON'T want to be one of those bird owners. :( i'm determined to get everything as right as i can! even if... sigh... that means i have to hold off until i can move into my own place free of teflon cookware. (i'd be HEARTBROKEN, but i'd feel even worse if my little bird died because i failed to proof my house properly!)

gosh, i'm sorry this is so long. i'd appreciate any insight, though! thank you so much!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to AA! Kudos on reasearching into birds. Others will along to give their thoughts, I'm sure. But for now-

All teflon should be gone before you get a bird-any bird. There's no teflon in computers,as far as I know. Some cleaning products have irritating fumes,and should be avoided. The good thing,there are a lot of cleaning products, containing natural cleaners,that are safe to use around all animals, including birds.

Yes, drafts are not good for birds. Care should be taken with birds- both hot and cold drafts. Our house is kept at 68 F.

IMO- Full Flight birds are happier and healthier than clipped birds.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Welcome to the forum, its great to see you are doing research with wanting to own a budgie.

Teflon pans are bad for your bird, stainless steel is the best. Talk to your parents and find out which pans they use most and what they are made of before you make decisions about changing them. I have one teflon pan I use but I use it on very low and its a good distance away from where my budgie is housed. I have ceiling fans and the stove vent on when I use it, the room where the budgie is has the door closed when I cook with it.

A budgie should be able to fly and have some exercise daily so being flighted is important. A clipped bird can be moody/depressed and can become what I call a perch potato, they eat and play with toys in their cage but really a happy bird is one that zips around like a maniac and yells in happiness because it can FLY.

My budgie is contained in the den, one room only and he has free range of the room I've made it bird safe for him so there isn't anything he can get into. He fly's from his cage to another cage across the room and hangs out there or comes to my desk and steals things from me at my desk. :D

I don't allow him in other rooms of the house because I would have to bird safe them all and there's just too many of them to deal with.

I have a ceiling fan and air conditioning in the den, in the summer I make sure the vent of the a/c blows in a direction away from the birds and is on a low comfortable temperature nothing that gets really cold. The ceiling fan is used on low at night to circulate air I also have a tall tower fan that I can blow directly at me if I want to remain cooler when I work in the den and I don't want to have a direct draft blowing at the birds.

As for a heater yes you can use one in your room just make sure the bird isn't out of his cage when the heater is on or has been on and might be hot still.

Budgies are seed eaters so don't rule out seeds completely from their diet, you can offer pellets and a huge variety of fresh fruits and veggies daily. You can also offer seeds that you have sprouted which is good for your bird.

What you need to do is think about first is MONEY, you need money to put away for emergency vet care should anything ever happen to your bird and you need to get to an experienced avian vet. Plus you should take your bird to an avian veterinarian right after you get him to assure your new budgie is healthy. $$$$

You need a good large size cage, nothing round shaped. You can use discarded printer paper for a cage liner as well as newspapers. You need a mineral block cuttle bone a fair variety of safe toys, a swing and some good perches.

Good quality seeds pellets and fresh veggies and fruits daily.

Your time and companionship daily to keep your bird company is important, budgies are flock birds and love to be with another budgie/s. Your budgie can be happy with you but you have to put the time in to keep him/her happy so think about your life and what you can offer in time daily one on one.

I'm sure there are more things I haven't covered. Keep asking questions. :)

ilikeyoshi

Moving in
Real Name
Yoshi
thank you both so much! that really helps a lot.

i wish my room was farther away from the kitchen. it makes me kinda nervous thinking about the bird being as close as my room is, but hopefully we don't have very much teflon. i told my mom today about it, and promised her i'd read up on it more, but she's looking into our pans. fortunately we've already determined that some seem to be stainless steel which makes me feel a little better! hopefully we have no or very few teflon pans. (on the bright side, she agreed that if we use the oven cleaner, EVERYONE needs to be out of the house just because it smells so bad, the birds (and our rodents) most of all if it's toxic, haha!)

i'll definitely strive to keep the bird flighted then! i'd like it to be able to fly, honestly, and my parents are fine with it as long as i'm aware that it could be dangerous if i'm not careful about doors or hot surfaces (i'll be really careful!). would it be okay if i clipped its wings just for a little bit while it's getting used to me, JUST to limit the risk of it panicking and hurting itself? then once it's less scared of me, let the wings grow back and leave them? i've read a lot about slowly introducing myself to a bird, and i'm really gentle by nature, so i don't expect to hurt it (at all) or scare it (a lot) and i'm definitely aiming not to do either, but then, i'm not a tiny little bird meeting a new weird person in a new weird room, so, it's probably less scary-looking from my perspective! maybe i can start by trying not to clip the wings at all, and only do it (temporarily) as a last resort? actually, i think i like that idea better. i'd rather not clip them at all. are there any training tips i could use with a bird that's capable of flying away from me?

gosh, i think it'd be really cool to bird-proof my bedroom a bit later on and let it just roam the room freely. i'm in here a lot, so it'd get a lot of supervised time! that'd be neat. i saw some stuff about potty-training birds—i know you can't really teach them NOT to poo on things, but, you can encourage them to poo in certain places, i've heard? sort've like a cat, maybe, but probably a little less reliable? (i WOULD rather have to scrub my sheets or carpet as little as possible lol. of COURSE my room is one of two in the house without an easy-to-clean wood floor!)

oh, i've heard a bit about sprouting! my mom thinks you do it by putting the seeds under sunlight for a while, but i thought i read something about soaking them in water? i haven't looked into it too much yet (and i'm no gardener, so uh, i don't know anything about seeds lol), but i have heard sprouting's a really good option! so then, seeds as rewards for training would be good. if i did two or three training sessions a day (about 10-15 minutes each—at least, that seems to be the recommendation), would that be a sufficient amount of seeds, or should i give it some seeds with its scheduled meals sometimes too?

ah, an emergency fund of sorts for the bird makes sense! is there any kind of average to how much a trip like that might cost? i mean, it probably varies depending on if something is wrong or not, and if so, WHAT'S wrong, but knowing when i PROBABLY have a safe cushion would obviously be ideal. i'll look into avian vets around my area—i'm PRETTY SURE my dad said there's a bird sanctuary around where i live, maybe, so perhaps an avian vet wouldn't be very far from that. are avian vets more expensive than generic cat/dog/etc vets?

one of the prime reasons i'd like a bird (and why my parents finally said yes) is actually because i deal with some depression and social anxiety (aaand i'm an introvert to boot. yay), which not only causes (in my case) loneliness as a symptom, but sometimes loneliness as an outside problem makes said depression and anxiety WORSE. i'd definitely do at least a couple training sessions with it every day (school is really the only reason i'm out of the house right now—i work in my family's at-home business, so lacking time to dedicate to a bird isn't an issue), and my plan was to have a nice play-perch with some toys near my computer (where i spend most of my time), so the bird would be able to sit right next to me most of the day, playing or pestering me, and it'd be easy for me to give it little scritches or even turn and play with it for a few minutes every so often. i thought that sounded pretty good for daily socialization (and outside-the-cage time!), but i'd appreciate suggestions if i'm lacking somewhere! considering how much i struggle with loneliness (it's TOTALLY fun being lonely but also having conditions that make socializing hard /sarcasm), i'd hate to make my bird lonely by not being there enough for it!

oh, about the pellets and diet and such—i'm told pet store stuff isn't trustworthy, but at the same time, my one pet store (which IS one of the non-specialized ones, as in they sell birds, cats, dogs, rodents, reptiles, fish...) DOES claim to carry organic mixes and stuff? is there any way for me to tell, looking at the packaging, if it's ACTUALLY good quality stuff? or should i just cut my losses and convince my parents i'd really rather buy from suggested/specialized/possibly-more-expensive-oh-no places? or make my own??? (which still sounds a little challenging, but maybe i'm just taking in a lot of information right now, so EVERYTHING is a little "whoaaaa, new thing, scary!" haha)

jeeeez more long posts from me, sorry!! i'm trying to think of everything i'm even slightly unsure about, and, well, there's a lot. thank you so much for the replies so far though, i really appreciate it! this forum was recommended by some people on my normal social media platforms, and i'm really grateful to have found it!

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Hi! I'm Liana and I'm young too, probably near your age, and I have 7 budgies. You sound like you are doing a lot of research which is AWESOME! I'll try to answer some of your questions, but I have a couple too.
1. Are your parents a-okay with the bird?
2. What cage will it be kept in? (If you don't have one yet, that's fine)
3. Where are you getting the budgie? VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!! If you are getting the budgie from a pet store, the bird will most likely be shy and scared of humans, will probably only eat seed (is possible to change diet but it is hard to do for small birds) and will already have its wings clipped. If you are getting it from a breeder it will probably be hand tame, nice, weaned onto pellets (possibly) and may or may not have clipped wings.

Getting a first budgie is the most exciting experience ever! (Trust me, I know! XD)

About the cage, bigger is better. I have my seven budgies in a big cage with lots of room.

Also, are you going to be able to spend lots of time with the budgie? If not, a pair might be the best idea. I would recommend two males, they get along the best.

Also, are your parents paying for supplies, or is it just you? I'm lucky enough to have my dad paying for bird food and cages! XD

Also, make certain you use pellets. I made the mistake of having my birds on a seed diet, and my birds are picky so it is to paste to go back now! :( Make certain you use pellets!!!!!

Other than that super excited to hear how things go on! And welcome to AA!

Remember: PICTURES!!!!!!!! If/once you get the budgie post lots of pictures!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
It's a lot of info & prep at first but its necessary to avoid danger to your bird.
Welcome & check out other birds as well. Budgies don't usually come hand fed so not that tame & may never be that tame. You might want to also look into a cockatiel as they generally come handfed.

Pictures of course are always welcome

ilikeyoshi

Moving in
Real Name
Yoshi
Hi! I'm Liana and I'm young too, probably near your age, and I have 7 budgies. You sound like you are doing a lot of research which is AWESOME! I'll try to answer some of your questions, but I have a couple too.
1. Are your parents a-okay with the bird?
2. What cage will it be kept in? (If you don't have one yet, that's fine)
3. Where are you getting the budgie? VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!! If you are getting the budgie from a pet store, the bird will most likely be shy and scared of humans, will probably only eat seed (is possible to change diet but it is hard to do for small birds) and will already have its wings clipped. If you are getting it from a breeder it will probably be hand tame, nice, weaned onto pellets (possibly) and may or may not have clipped wings.

Getting a first budgie is the most exciting experience ever! (Trust me, I know! XD)

About the cage, bigger is better. I have my seven budgies in a big cage with lots of room.

Also, are you going to be able to spend lots of time with the budgie? If not, a pair might be the best idea. I would recommend two males, they get along the best.

Also, are your parents paying for supplies, or is it just you? I'm lucky enough to have my dad paying for bird food and cages! XD

Also, make certain you use pellets. I made the mistake of having my birds on a seed diet, and my birds are picky so it is to paste to go back now! :( Make certain you use pellets!!!!!

Other than that super excited to hear how things go on! And welcome to AA!

Remember: PICTURES!!!!!!!! If/once you get the budgie post lots of pictures!
ahh thanks for the reply! let's see.

1. my parents are totally okay with the bird! we had one when i was much younger, but she hasn't been with us for some time. :( but my parents do love birds, and they were never really against me getting one, except that they were worried about moving her cross country (for a long time, we were going to move from the west coast to the east), but since that's not happening anymore, the most we'd have to move a bird is a couple states, so they're not worried about it anymore! so they told me i can have one pre-move (which will be in about a year or two) and i'm really excited. they're completely fine with it, and even willing to help me, but they also respect it's going to be my bird and so the responsibility of it falls to me first and foremost.

2. i haven't gotten a cage yet, but i've read a few dimensions people suggest as a minimum—as in, don't go below that size! i'm planning on at least reaching the bigger number i saw (30x18x18 in inches, i... think? (i'm not super great with dimensions haha) what do you recommend?), but i definitely want to try and get something as big as i can afford (and fit in my room, which unfortunately isn't VERY big, but i can reorganize and that'll help some i think).

3. i haven't quite decided! there's a bird show in 7 weeks not far from where i live, and my current loose first draft plan is to wait for that so i can ask breeders and other bird expert-y people there some questions in person, as well as hopefully meet some well-trained and tame birds! i may or may not come home from that show with my new budgie, it depends on if i feel confident enough in my research to take that step AND if i absolutely fall in love with one. i was thinking of popping into my local pet store before hand, to meet the budgies and ask the people there some questions too (keeping in mind that pet store clerks may not know as much about birds as the people at the bird show or here!) and, again, i COULD wind up with a budgie if i feel good about my research at that point AND just fall totally in love with one and can't leave without it. i don't quite know when i'll head to the pet store, but it'll be after i've done some more research i think! i've only been seriously, diligently at this for a day now! (i thought i had more time—like, a year or two!!! and technically i still do, it's just, i thought i had more time where i COULDN'T get the bird anyway, but, now i can whenever! but i wanna know what i'm doing first!!! ahhhhhhhh!!! :p)

my mom told me ONE budgie (or two finches :p) so i'm only getting the one, but i'm asking myself all the time if i can handle the responsibility socially! i definitely don't want to neglect it and make it lonely. so far, i feel like i can socialize with it every day, i have a lot of plans i'm really excited about to make sure it gets all the attention it needs, but i won't buy it until i'm ABSOLUTELY sure i can handle it. i know it needs a lot of affection (i used to raise a needy puppy all by myself, i'm sure the bird needs AT least as much attention!)

my parents are buying the bird itself, and, i believe they're going to help me with various supplies as well! i'm not sure how MUCH they're willing to spend on it (if it turns out, for example, i want a more expensive mix than they're willing to pay for, i might be on my own. although, i MIGHT be able to convince them to throw in what they WOULD pay, and i cover the difference! we've made deals like that before (like, with a computer a few years ago, lol...)). although, i AM worried they won't be as, well, diligent about vet visits as i hope to be... they seem to think birds are tougher than i'm convinced they are about illnesses and such. :( i don't know, what do you think? i'm really concerned about vet bills (can't believe i didn't remember to mention it in my first post—sheesh!), ALTHOUGH my parents have always been a little more prompt to take me or my sister's pets to the vet if WE think they need to go. and i might be able to split bills with them, again. you bring up a really good point, i'll verify with them exactly what they're willing to put forth financially! i was more focused on research. i'm still kind of in the "what if" stage in my head, i guess, but it gets more plausible all the time. :')

yes!!! the VERY first thing i learned when i started was to be very good about the diet! i plan to keep the little thing as healthy as i can with its diet. no seed-only!!! you don't have to tell me twice! :p

and, after all the help you've all been so far, i can DEFINITELY post some pictures if/when i get the bird, whenever that is. it could be a while, but! i will. :D

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
Awesome! I'm not very good at dimensions either, so I just say the bigger the better! XD

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's very impressive and heartening to see someone doing so much research and taking so much care before bringing home a birdy. :) Very commendable. I am certain that you will be an excellent birdy companion and caretaker! (I deal with anxiety and depression as well and the birds are wonderful company and very life-enriching. It is an honor to care for them and to get to enjoy them on a daily basis.)

Avian vets are definitely more expensive than regular vets. A basic check-up for a bird usually starts from $125+, depending on what you have done. Since you'll only have one bird I doubt you'd need to spring for some of the additional testing.

Yes, it's a good idea to wash your hands before holding your bird, always - you never know what germs or substances you have on your hands, you know? Birds can be very sensitive to such things.

You should be mostly fine with shampoos and such, just be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any residue. Be very careful with perfumes and lotions. When I put on face lotion, I don't let the birds near my face. I won't put on body lotion at all until bedtime because I don't want to risk exposing them. I don't even wear perfume.

Beware anything that releases scent/vapor into the air or is sprayed. Don't use candles, incense, Glade plug-ins (these have actually killed birds), air freshener, etc.

For pellets, you can use Harrison's or TOPS or Roudybush, depending on your preferences. I don't see any reason why you can't buy these from your regular pet store if they are in sealed bags straight from the manufacturer, you know? There are plenty of places online to order treats and things as well if you don't find them in your pet store. I like My Safe Bird Store. But it's good to compare prices as well so you don't spend more than you need to.

Ark

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Everyone has given you wonderful advice so far, and I can really relate with you! I remember spending many sleepless days and nights researching how to care for my conure! Thank you for doing the needed research ahead of time. I second the suggestion to look for a breeder of hand-tame budgies if you really want a close relationship with the bird. It is possible to tame pet store budgies, but I found it difficult, and it's hard to want to take them away from the friends they enjoy so much. Are you 100% sure that you want a budgie rather than a cockatiel, lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, or other bird that is a bit more naturally inclined to form bonds with humans while still being easy to care for? I love budgies, but I honestly think most of them are much happier when they're with others of their own species... they don't seem to bond to humans as readily as other birds.

I don't think anyone else mentioned this as far as Teflon goes, but Teflon isn't going to kill your birds necessarily if it's used in the house. You can use it in everyday stuff like making eggs and it won't harm anyone. If it's heated to unsafe temperatures (or say left to heat over long periods of time) it releases dangerous fumes. If your parents want to make an omelette, it's fine. If they want to cook onions for French Onion Soup over several hours, I would suggest some other means of cooking them.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, and you CAN kiss your birds on the top of the beak or on the body - with no lip gloss or lipstick, of course - just make sure not to let them in your mouth at all. (Easier said than done some days! Sometimes my lovebirds decide it would be a fine idea to try to get into my mouth when I'm trying to TALK. WTH, lol.)

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
in your first post, you mentioned something about a "heat fan" .Those sometimes have teflon, and they are heated. It is better to have one of those oil filled radiators for extra heat.
toaster ovens often have teflon.
also - sprouted seeds are one of the very best foods for budgies.
here's a nice link about food from where I got my budgie. I really recommend looking for a breeder who handfeeds babies.
Budgie Parakeet Food and Feeding Recommendations

ilikeyoshi

Moving in
Real Name
Yoshi
It's very impressive and heartening to see someone doing so much research and taking so much care before bringing home a birdy. :) Very commendable. I am certain that you will be an excellent birdy companion and caretaker! (I deal with anxiety and depression as well and the birds are wonderful company and very life-enriching. It is an honor to care for them and to get to enjoy them on a daily basis.)

Avian vets are definitely more expensive than regular vets. A basic check-up for a bird usually starts from $125+, depending on what you have done. Since you'll only have one bird I doubt you'd need to spring for some of the additional testing.

Yes, it's a good idea to wash your hands before holding your bird, always - you never know what germs or substances you have on your hands, you know? Birds can be very sensitive to such things.

You should be mostly fine with shampoos and such, just be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any residue. Be very careful with perfumes and lotions. When I put on face lotion, I don't let the birds near my face. I won't put on body lotion at all until bedtime because I don't want to risk exposing them. I don't even wear perfume.

Beware anything that releases scent/vapor into the air or is sprayed. Don't use candles, incense, Glade plug-ins (these have actually killed birds), air freshener, etc.

For pellets, you can use Harrison's or TOPS or Roudybush, depending on your preferences. I don't see any reason why you can't buy these from your regular pet store if they are in sealed bags straight from the manufacturer, you know? There are plenty of places online to order treats and things as well if you don't find them in your pet store. I like My Safe Bird Store. But it's good to compare prices as well so you don't spend more than you need to.
ah—that vet bill doesn't sound as bad as i feared! i think with the income i make with my family's business (it varies a LITTLE—the best way i can describe it is "commission-based" lol) should be enough to cover that, and it wouldn't take me that long to save up a comfortable little emergency vet fund with that kind of price-area. that's pretty reassuring, thank you! and thanks for the link, i'll look into that! hopefully my pet store has those brands, that'd be really convenient. (and i think my parents would trust prefer something bought from the pet store over an online shop, anyway—and while i'm not about to let my pretty inexperienced-with-birds parents decide what's best for my bird, i WOULD like to align as many of their preferences with the bird's best interests as i can. :p)

and i'm glad your birds have helped with your conditions!!! that's so heartwarming to me, and it makes me more hopeful for how much it'll help me in my own life too! i'm so glad. ;u;

Everyone has given you wonderful advice so far, and I can really relate with you! I remember spending many sleepless days and nights researching how to care for my conure! Thank you for doing the needed research ahead of time. I second the suggestion to look for a breeder of hand-tame budgies if you really want a close relationship with the bird. It is possible to tame pet store budgies, but I found it difficult, and it's hard to want to take them away from the friends they enjoy so much. Are you 100% sure that you want a budgie rather than a cockatiel, lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, or other bird that is a bit more naturally inclined to form bonds with humans while still being easy to care for? I love budgies, but I honestly think most of them are much happier when they're with others of their own species... they don't seem to bond to humans as readily as other birds.

I don't think anyone else mentioned this as far as Teflon goes, but Teflon isn't going to kill your birds necessarily if it's used in the house. You can use it in everyday stuff like making eggs and it won't harm anyone. If it's heated to unsafe temperatures (or say left to heat over long periods of time) it releases dangerous fumes. If your parents want to make an omelette, it's fine. If they want to cook onions for French Onion Soup over several hours, I would suggest some other means of cooking them.
oh gosh, i couldn't imagine getting a bird without obsessively learning how to take care of one. as i've grown, i've really started to realize that all kinds of pets are so different. when i was younger i would've been like "oh yeah, a bird, easy!" but after truly realizing just how hard it was to raise so much as a PUPPY, and after realizing that whoa, my parents DON'T know everything (one of the hardest lessons a kid has to endure, i think :p), it'd scare me waaaay too much to try and just, excuse the pun, wing it!

and i've HONESTLY been debating, after learning so much about how flock-oriented budgies are, if i might want to look into a bird that doesn't seem to need that quite as much. i knew a cockatiel when i was younger, so i know i love them, (they make such cute noises oh man it makes me smile), and even though i think budgies are sooo pretty and cute, i was honestly considering looking into a breed that doesn't rely so much on being in a flock of their own kind. i appreciate you bringing it up, because it was kind of just an in-the-back-of-my-head thought. i'll consider it really seriously and ask my parents about it too! (i'm sure they'd be fine with a cockatiel—my mom even said i could pick something besides "1 budgie or 2 finches", those were just her first two ideas and i went "OOOO BUDGIE" haha.)

and that is a HUGE relief! i've seen a few things about how it's only seriously dangerous if it's overheated or sometimes if the pan's really worn, it can be an issue, but it's nice to hear a bit more on that, thank you!

in your first post, you mentioned something about a "heat fan" .Those sometimes have teflon, and they are heated. It is better to have one of those oil filled radiators for extra heat.
toaster ovens often have teflon.
also - sprouted seeds are one of the very best foods for budgies.
here's a nice link about food from where I got my budgie. I really recommend looking for a breeder who handfeeds babies.
Budgie Parakeet Food and Feeding Recommendations
ah, okay! i was worried my heat fan could potentially be an issue. i'll dig up information on the brand and try to see if it's dangerous—if it is, my toes are gonna have to find a different way to keep warm in the winter, haha. :/ thank you for that though! and thanks for the link, i'll look into that!

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Kudos to you for researching before getting your bird! To answer your question about Dr. Harvey's- it's pretty pricey, which is okay with me as long as it's high quality and the birds like it. However, when my budgies were on it, they would pick out the seeds and leave everything else, so it just wasn't worth it. They are now on Roudybush, which they really like. Harrison's is a very high-quality pellet but my girls wouldn't touch it. Both Harrison's and Roudybush will send you samples if you email/call them, so you can get a sample of both and see which one your bird likes!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Dr. Harvey's parakeet blend has wonderful, healthy ingredients and is worth every penny. I agree with Mr. Peeps in that money will be a concern. Are you working or are you getting money from your parents? Birds need routine and sick visits to an avian vet. Are there any in your area? Parakeets do much better in pairs. Pet store birds are mostly raised in bird mill settings where they get little human contact. Many are not healthy or happy and very difficult to train. Just remember owning a bird is a long term commitment and things can happen in your life that may interfere with this such as going away to school. Please keep us posted on how this progresses.

ilikeyoshi

Moving in
Real Name
Yoshi
Kudos to you for researching before getting your bird! To answer your question about Dr. Harvey's- it's pretty pricey, which is okay with me as long as it's high quality and the birds like it. However, when my budgies were on it, they would pick out the seeds and leave everything else, so it just wasn't worth it. They are now on Roudybush, which they really like. Harrison's is a very high-quality pellet but my girls wouldn't touch it. Both Harrison's and Roudybush will send you samples if you email/call them, so you can get a sample of both and see which one your bird likes!
ohh, awesome! i'll look into roudybush or harrison's then—i'd like to be able to save as much as i can while still getting my bird what it needs. :D and the sample thing is awesome!

Dr. Harvey's parakeet blend has wonderful, healthy ingredients and is worth every penny. I agree with Mr. Peeps in that money will be a concern. Are you working or are you getting money from your parents? Birds need routine and sick visits to an avian vet. Are there any in your area? Parakeets do much better in pairs. Pet store birds are mostly raised in bird mill settings where they get little human contact. Many are not healthy or happy and very difficult to train. Just remember owning a bird is a long term commitment and things can happen in your life that may interfere with this such as going away to school. Please keep us posted on how this progresses.
i am working, though it's just for my family and it isn't much, but, i also have virtually no living expenses, since i live with them too. :D working for them makes my schedule really flexible though, which is convenient for school and other things. how routinely is "routine"? i heard a lot of people say annual checkups, is that what you mean? i'm doing a bit of research on avian vets near me now, but i'm not finding anything that jumps right out at me. i'm not sure i know what i'm looking for, haha—would a vet that offers a range of services INCLUDING bird veterinarian care suffice? or should i really look into an all-out avian vet—and if so, would that imply an entire building dedicated to that? or a section of a bigger vet? my mom's better at looking for stuff online than i am, when it comes to locations. i'll ask her to help me a little later, when she's awake!

ah, yeah. that's sad! :( i'm leaning more toward trying that bird show in 7 weeks and finding a good breeder then, i think. i can use the pet store for other things, like supplies, as long as they're good enough quality of course. ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You've already been given so much great advice, I really don't have anything to add but just wanted to say welcome to the forum!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Okay, I do have one thing to add- there are often very nice birds in need of homes at local rescues, animal shelters, craigslist, etc. Those are some places you can check for a bird too. :)

ilikeyoshi

Moving in
Real Name
Yoshi
oh, thanks for that! i'll definitely keep it in mind. i wouldn't mind rescuing a little guy in need of a home. ;v; i rescued my beloved kitty. she was an oddball, but i just fell so in love with her. i miss her all the time! lost her last year. :(

i wanted to ask more about vet bills—my parents are willing to help me buy initial supplies, such as a cage, as well as things like food (all the time, as long as i don't pick something wildly expensive), but vet bills are going to pretty much fall to me. so even though i don't have any living expenses, my income is also a little bit low (first job and all that). fluffypoptarts already said i can expect avian vet checkups to start at about $125, but does anyone else have any numbers they could toss my way? i'm most curious about general checkups AND common ailments or problems my bird is most likely to run into, and how much those things generally cost, or the general range of those costs. that way i'll be able to budget my income better, as well as save up a sufficient birdy vet/emergency fund!

oh, also, does anyone here live in the california central valley area? i was curious if you have any recommendations about avian vets, pet stores or breeders in the area! :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birds from stores often have low-grade bacterial or fungal infections when you get them, which a full exam should detect. The medication is not expensive, really - maybe $20-30, give or take? Giving it orally (especially to a bird who doesn't trust you!) can be a real challenge, though!

I'd recommend you go to an avian vet. Someone who *specializes* in treating birds, though they will likely treat other animals as well. A regular vet is just about useless when it comes to birds, I'm sorry to say. :(

I second the adoption idea. Many wonderful birdies are languishing in shelters and would love to be your companion! Keep an open mind - sometimes your heart birdy is not the one you'd expect. (You're looking for a budgie, but it could be a cockatiel or a lovie that would be the one! Never know. ;) )