• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training Zazu "spin"

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Thought I may as well give it a go and try to train Zazu some tricks. I'm starting off with an easy one, "spin."

Right now my method is to hold a treat between my thumb and finger and have him spin around as he follows the treat. I'm hoping to eventually have him spin without having to hold the treat in my fingers.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he's having a hard time figuring it out, then reward him for turning his head, reward for slightly turning his body, reward for turning his body 1/4 to 1/2 way, then a 1/3 of the way, and finally all the way around! Once he gets it, you can give him a cue along with a phrase, and slowly start phasing out having him follow your hand while following the cue to do the behavior! :)

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
If he's having a hard time figuring it out, then reward him for turning his head, reward for slightly turning his body, reward for turning his body 1/4 to 1/2 way, then a 1/3 of the way, and finally all the way around! Once he gets it, you can give him a cue along with a phrase, and slowly start phasing out having him follow your hand while following the cue to do the behavior! :)
He actually grasped spinning his entire body pretty fast. At first I had to make a full circle around him with a treat but now I'm getting to the point of only having to do a half circle and then he completes the spin himself. It's quite fun teaching him! :)

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
What other tricks does he know.