• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help my parrot hasnt laid in 12 days

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thank you for the additional info. :)

How much did you reduce their light hours? How much light/dark hours did they have after reducing it? How long did you reduce the hours for? (i.e. how many days/weeks)

Increasing the amount of light can also discourage egg laying in hens. I have a hen that probably ended up being covered 24/7 because she was "too noisy", and she became a chronic egg layer. I brought her into my home, changed diet, change of environment, natural days and nights (in my area), and I've never had any issues with her and eggs.

I've never had to do this, but when separating a pair of birds, it is from my understanding that they need to be separated not only by site, but also from sound. In some pairs, it's enough to put them in separate cages right next to each other! That way, they can still see each other, talk, maybe even preen, but they can't mate.

Hopefully the pair is not intent on reproducing after this clutch, but if they are, you may need to take a bit more extreme measures to prevent future breeding until you are ready to allow them to reproduce again.

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
When i saw them mate i changed their location and went from 12 hour darkness to 14. We even made sure to not make any noise and went to bed early. I had never given them any soft foods.

Its good to know that the light can work both ways. My pair sounds like a determined pair of lovebirds!!!

If THEY intend to reproduce you can defenitely count on more extreme precautions. Maybe shots from the vet and they will be pulled from my breeding stock. (They are not curently or have ever been mixed with any breeding parrots in my home. In fact my other pair are not of age and have responded well to all measure i have taken so far)

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You may need to do 16 hours of darkness. How long did you do 14 hours for?

One breeder mentioned providing 2 days of light (i.e. no darkness) to kick a hen out of trying to reproduce. I do not recommend this, unless as a last resort, since this seems rather cruel to me. I think another breeder even recommended a longer period of time of full light.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Please stick to the questions the op asked assistance with

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
In everything i have read i never saw that! Its good to know thanks!!!!

Ok i just looked at the message i sent the breeder when i initially saw them mate (january 18) on that day i moved their location and increased darkness to 14hrs.

It wasnt until feb 3 that i noticed the big bump. (13days later) so i think despite everything i did, it wasnt enough and they were probably still mating despite that. As i mentioned earlier they would even do it when they were out of the cage.

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Egg 2 is hatching..
Nest inspections are becoming very dificult.
Mom wont leave the nest and when she does if she sees us enter the room back into the nest box she goes.
Baby one always looks well fed

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
You must be so excited.

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Yes and no.
I feel like im the one having these babies!!! I just want to do everything right. I know how important the nest inspections are but mom really doesnt appreciate them and i would hate for her to abandon or injure her babies. Any suggestions ? In the future i will install a nest cam but for now i'm not sure what is best.

I've never been sooo stressed lol i study day in and out and read about different things that breeders do. Once everyone has hatched i will feel better.

I'll be booking a week off for the first week that i pull them from the nest. Some people go down south on holidays and some stay home hand feeding lol

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
No suggestions...except maybe to relax. Birds have been doing this for generations.
:hug8:
I haven't bred...yet...but I'm excited for you.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds will rarely abandon a nest because there have been intruders. I even heard of one breeder that had to move during breeding season, with hens on eggs and chicks! Out of all the pairs, only one abandoned their nest! Which is rather surprising, since the birds and their cages were transported all in one go from one located to another!

It's a good idea to be prepared for that scenario, but pairs usually don't abandon their nest due to human inspections from my knowledge.

I hope all goes well with the pair and chicks! :)

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Well that is comforting!!! Now i just need to come up with a plan not to lose my eyes :) i cannot get mom outof the box. She moves to the side and then lunges!

Thank you all so much for the tips and allowing me to pick at your brains for some additional breeding knowledge!

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Baby 2 didnt make it. I just checked the nest and moma was stepping all over him. He was dead. When i removed him from the nest you could see that she had fed him before he died his crop was full.

Baby one is doing good. His crop was full and now i can hear him. I think mama is feeding him again. He has almost trippled in size.

Still two eggs to go. I will let you all know if they hatch

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think you may wanting just wait a week before checking on them. Sounds like you may be checking too often and ifs stressing these new parents out.

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
If i wait a week that means if the next one dies it will stay in there. That was my initial concern... Thank you all for your help

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Hello all,

Here are some pics of the babies :) the two pics taken with only 1 bird are of the oldest (he or she was about 17 days in the pic with the pink monkey and 20 days old with the yellow chick) In the third pic they are 25, 20 and 16 days. I find the two youngest dont have as much down feathers (fluff) as the first one did when i pulled him/her. Could that be possible? ps Parents are disease tested.

Baby one weighs 66grams
Baby 2 and 3 are 57grams

The parents have a rather small frame put not underweight at all. Mom weighs 66grames and dad weighs 63 grams (moma actually put on 6 grams during the incubation) If i may add... they were fantastic parents.

The babies are curently on 4 feedings a day (as of today so is baby 3) 7am, 12pm, 5pm and 11pm.

They are eathing kaytee about 10-12% of body weight.They are gaining weight everyday some days more weight gain than others but overall 3-5 grams per day.

However, they sometimes cry for less than 1 minute at around 3pm. I check their crop and they arent ready to be fed could they just be whinning and chattering or should i feed?

Thanks y'all and enjoy the pics :)

Attachments

Last edited:

sindy_tech

Meeting neighbors
Here are some pics of the babies :) the two pics taken with only 1 bird are of the oldest (he or she was about 17 days in the pic with the pink monkey and 20 days old with the yellow chick) In the third pic they are 25, 20 and 16 days. I find the two youngest dont have as much down feathers (fluff) as the first one did when i pulled him/her. Could that be possible? ps Parents are disease tested.
Sorry i believe i miss calculated which would make more sense.
In the previous picture with all three with the frog...
Baby 1 is 25 days
Baby 2 is 18 days
Baby 3 is 16 days