• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leto's First Vet Check-Up

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi everybirdie :)

I'm taking Leto to his first vet visit (with me) on Saturday 2/28/15 for his yearly routine check-up. Since he's my first parrot I'm unsure what to expect at the vet :chin:

I'd appreciate it if you more well versed parrot owners would guide me and tell me what to expect. I'm sure there'll be a 1) physical exam 2) weight check and maybe 3) stool sample check but do you all think they'll do anything else like blood draws?

If so what tests?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They will do a gram stain which involves a blood draw :cool:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend a blood test. Here's what I usually do at a routine check up:

1) CBC (complete blood count)
2) chem panel (blood profile)
3) fecal gram stain

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ask lots of written questions and write down the answers. keep track of the weight and if possible weigh your bird a couple times a week. be calm, so your bird is calm. may sure to ask any questions about what you are feeding.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
ask lots of written questions and write down the answers. keep track of the weight and if possible weigh your bird a couple times a week. be calm, so your bird is calm. may sure to ask any questions about what you are feeding.
Excellent points! I will write down questions and leave room for the answers. I'll also write a list of the foods he's been eating with me :) we've been trying to vary our diet :geek: ...... With mixed results. But I understand this takes time and persistence :dance5:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
And don't forget any medicines, any supplements, and if a mix of foods, let them know, even spices :cool:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Excellent points! I will write down questions and leave room for the answers. I'll also write a list of the foods he's been eating with me :) we've been trying to vary our diet :geek: ...... With mixed results. But I understand this takes time and persistence :dance5:
^Agree^ with greys4u. if you are making up soft foods like i do. be sure to list them in a diet sheet. the exact name of any seed mix, any treats like honey stix, millet, vitamins, minerals, veggies, fruit you have tried, spices. i keep the bag from what ever seed mix i use in a folder. that way if there is recall, i can go look for any numbers on the bag.
i also keep track of what ever soft foods i feed on the computer. how much i made?, how much is left? how much i think has been eaten? you need to set up a table on your word processer 4 columns and as many rows as you need
the columns are the following Date:| Foods fed:| Weight of what was fed and what is leftover:| amount eaten:| i'm not saying that everything eaten but it gives me a rough idea of what is eaten. i use a index for the soft foods like this one:
Sweet potato=SP /Rice=RI/ Pumpkin =PU/ Beans/ Peas = B/PS
Soaked wheat/ kamut = SW/K / Greens= GR/ Fruit= / FRU/ Nut Dust=ND / Pellets=P
hope this helps

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Also I would also ask for a few things if you dont already have them:
Probiotic (again, very helpful- good to have on hand)
Multivitamin (when birds are stressed- this can do wonders)
Bloodstop powder (or cornstarch works)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
^Agree^ with greys4u. if you are making up soft foods like i do. be sure to list them in a diet sheet. the exact name of any seed mix, any treats like honey stix, millet, vitamins, minerals, veggies, fruit you have tried, spices. i keep the bag from what ever seed mix i use in a folder. that way if there is recall, i can go look for any numbers on the bag.
i also keep track of what ever soft foods i feed on the computer. how much i made?, how much is left? how much i think has been eaten? you need to set up a table on your word processer 4 columns and as many rows as you need
the columns are the following Date:| Foods fed:| Weight of what was fed and what is leftover:| amount eaten:| i'm not saying that everything eaten but it gives me a rough idea of what is eaten. i use a index for the soft foods like this one:
Sweet potato=SP /Rice=RI/ Pumpkin =PU/ Beans/ Peas = B/PS
Soaked wheat/ kamut = SW/K / Greens= GR/ Fruit= / FRU/ Nut Dust=ND / Pellets=P
hope this helps
Wowzers! That is some serious charting :wideyed: Thank you very much!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also I would also ask for a few things if you dont already have them:
Probiotic (again, very helpful- good to have on hand)
Multivitamin (when birds are stressed- this can do wonders)
Bloodstop powder (or cornstarch works)
This will be on my shopping list for the next time I go to the bird store (I'm going this weekend :hilarious:)
Thanks! :highfive:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Wowzers! That is some serious charting :wideyed: Thank you very much!
Just remember... Your bird cant order food off a menu.

You are providing FOR them.... What if someone raised a child on nothing but happy-meals at mcdonalds.... alive yes. Healthy.... maybe not.
Let your bird decide how they want to eat by giving them options. It is the best thing you can do for them (same goes for dogs and cats).

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just remember... Your bird cant order food off a menu.

You are providing FOR them.... What if someone raised a child on nothing but happy-meals at mcdonalds.... alive yes. Healthy.... maybe not.
Let your bird decide how they want to eat by giving them options. It is the best thing you can do for them (same goes for dogs and cats).
I understand :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leto weighed 225 grams. The vet checked his stool. Listened to his lungs and heart. Palpated him all over, but no blood draw. She said he looks great, but he could stand to gain a bit of wt.