• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is this cage appriopriate for a GCC?

Kamostrinha

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kamila
Hello,

I've started to save money to buy a cage for my Green Cheek Conure (I haven't got it yet but I really want to in a couple of months). Unfortunatelly none of these that you recommend in other topic is available for me cause I live in Poland and both the price and shipping would be far too expensive. :p

If you could take a look at the one I've found:
Woliera DOMINIKA 142x70x56 - drut: 2mm - Klatka (5099220217) - Allegro.pl - Więcej niż aukcje.

Let me translate the most important information:

- Powder coated,
- Galvanized wires
- Dimensions: length - 22"W x 27"D x 40"H (55" overall height)
- 3 doors (one on the top of the cage)
- A slide-out tray
- Bar thickness: 2mm
- Bar spacing: 1,2mm

I could also add that the price is quate good in comparison to other cages of similar dimensions.

But does it look safe for parrots (Green Cheeks) in your opinion? And practical for me? Have you ever had a similar cage and could tell something about its quality?

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
The cage itself would be ok. With parrots, length of cage is a bit more useful than height of cage. Galvanized coating could be a problem. Here we have cages with Powder coating which is different. A Green Cheek climbs with their beak and even picks at bars of a cage and galvanized metal is harmful

Last edited:

Kamostrinha

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kamila
So the danger of zinc poisoning is really serious? Well, I wouldn't risk then... In the description they say that the cage is made of animal friendly materials but of course I'm aware that it doesn't necessarily have to be true.
But then why there're so many cages with galvanized coated wires for sale? :/

I've also found a man who sells self-made cages on request. They're bigger and cheaper than that one. Here's an example:
http://img14.allegroimg.pl/photos/oryginal/51/19/68/12/5119681203

There's no information about materials used (especially the wire) but I will ask. The problem is that they're not so moveable. And I'm not sure if the wooden part will last long. ;)

AND there're also 3 that are both movable and powder coated but much smaller. And more expensive, however I'd rather save a bit longer and be sure that my parrot will be safe and healthy.

Klatka Original Strong Villa Minerva -Antik cena 499.00 PLN (I don't like the top, I'd rather it flat)
Klatka Original Strong Villa Helios -Antik cena 499.00 PLN
Klatka Original Strong Villa Helios -Platinum cena 499.00 PLN

What do you think? :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Ok, I went back and read your description. My apology. It does say powder coated galvanized wire which would be fine. The bar spacing is 1.2 cm which is the 0.5 inch one looks for in bar spacing. Green cheeks are small birds so need small bar spacing. Your first cage would work fine. It is large enough. You can also "stage" play stations in the cage at different levels. Rope perches can be twisted to add some interesting walk ways for your bird.

Kamostrinha

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kamila
It does say powder coated galvanized wire which would be fine.
Not exactly. Here's my fault, I should have been more precise. The despription says that the wires are galvanized. That is only the "frame" of the cage (the brown parts) which is powder coated. So anyway a parrot would mostly touch the galvanized parts (the wires). :(