• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Throwing up

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Well Butter threw up today. He's an almost 8 month old U2.
We are calling the vet first thing in the morning, and making an appointment for him ASAP, regardless if i find out what it is on AA first.

Is there any reason why he would have thrown up his food?
I didn't feed him anything new, his poop and weight are normal, and it definitely wasn't regurgitating (i am positive is was NOT regurgitating.).
Maybe he ate too much food and just threw it up?
I checked his cage, nothing. Checked his food, nothing.
I even smelled his food, and it smelled like it normally does.
The throw-up was a pinkish color, and he eats Zupreem fruit blend pellets, so the coloration is obvious.
He tried to eat his thrown-up food again, and i tried to get it out of his mouth with a paper towel.

My mom said "ask those people on the parrot website and see if they know anything, and we'll call the vet in the morning."
When she said that, the vet was already closed and there was an inch of snow and ice on the ground, so we weren't going anywhere.
Any help is appreciated.

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
A vet visit is probably in order, but if he's acting normally (drinking and eating especially), just follow your regular routine tonight and let him get his beauty sleep. My birds have thrown up due to motion sickness in the car, and Pooka was once playing like a maniac and sort of fell so that his full crop hit a perch before he caught himself. He kind of spit up and then was ready to go again. I was was worried, but he was fine. Hopefully someone will show up that can offer a more thorough analysis!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, make sure you take Butter in in the morning. There are so many things that could have caused him to throw up, but throwing up is more serious than regurgitation. It is most likely that your bird has an infection of some kind causing his problems, but only a vet can diagnose an infection.

The one time my birds threw up (not regurgitated), I had given them too much yogurt (they liked it and sometimes I'm too permissive), so think about anything he may have eaten.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope Butter is OK

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Yes, make sure you take Butter in in the morning. There are so many things that could have caused him to throw up, but throwing up is more serious than regurgitation. It is most likely that your bird has an infection of some kind causing his problems, but only a vet can diagnose an infection.

The one time my birds threw up (not regurgitated), I had given them too much yogurt (they liked it and sometimes I'm too permissive), so think about anything he may have eaten.
The only thing he will even eat is his pellets...
I tried to give him another piece of zucchini yesterday in my ongoing attempt to try and teach him it is food, but he threw it on the bottom of the cage and never touched it again.

Hope Butter is OK
I just went and checked on him... Was sleeping, but not too happy i woke him up to make sure he was ok.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hope the little Butter is ok.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Do make your appointment as soon as possible because as you know, prevention is key to keeping them healthy. If Butter vomits again try to collect a clean sample of it and put it in a zip lock bag and keep it refrigerated. This is just in case Butter doesn't do it at the vets office and they can culture what you have to see if there is any bacteria present.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I would also suggest weaning him from the fruity zupreem pellets to the natural zupreem pellets.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Prayers all is ok with Butter.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Sure you sure he isn't showing you affection?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiel has had bacterial infections before where he has thrown up and then acted completely normal. I was very surprised the first time it happened because he showed no other signs of being sick. Not fluffed up, etc. If I hadn't seen him throw up I never would have known anything was wrong. So, it's definitely a good idea to get Butter checked out. Hopefully, it's nothing but birds can hide their illness well. Keep us posted.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Called the vet this morning. Appointment is tomorrow at 2pm.
I am bringing samples of the food from his bowl, and a poop sample. He hasn't thrown up again so i can't bring that.
Is there anything else i should bring besides the obvious?

Sure you sure he isn't showing you affection?
Yes i am sure. He acted as if it was unintended to throw up, and then he tried to eat it again like i said before.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It never hurts to write a list of the questions that you want to ask the vet. If I don't write them down, I forget one or two questions.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Any vitamins ? When baylee Was sick i brought antibiotics previouly used, vitamines i use, food sample, poop sample! Last weights (lose Or gain). Vídeos Of how the bird acts ( cause They can act like they áre fine At The vets, But show illness at home)

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
It never hurts to write a list of the questions that you want to ask the vet. If I don't write them down, I forget one or two questions.
You have a good point there. I should probably write a list now.

Any vitamins ? When baylee Was sick i brought antibiotics previouly used, vitamines i use, food sample, poop sample! Last weights (lose Or gain). Vídeos Of how the bird acts ( cause They can act like they áre fine At The vets, But show illness at home)
Butter doesn't have any vitamins he takes, but the weight log is helpful!
The "normal" videos are almost impossible to get with that crazy bird.
Even if i did take a video, i don't have a cell phone to show the video to the vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Unless in refrigerator poop cannot be tested much.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
They could Get It right Before leaving! So That It is fresh.