• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Striking From inside cage

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sad11: The last 2 nights Leto has been striking out like he was going to bite me when I slide the lock over to close his cage for the night :sad4: I ended up using a spoon to close the latch because I didn't want him to see me scared, but I needed to secure the cage.

Just 2 minutes before we were having snuggly scritches :bored: He has never bitten me, yet.

FYI, I've had for one week today. I think the honeymoon is over :shy:

The perch he sleeps on is on the door of the cage. Maybe, I should move it :cautious:

Any other suggestions to what I'm doing wrong? Please be nice to me.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
yes, do move it to the side but not the door, may be getting cage aggression, he is just guarding his castle :cool:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
he is guarding his place and you are the burglar. when putting him to bed distract him with some thing else like a song you sing only at bedtime. every once in a while change up the tune or words.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
he is guarding his place and you are the burglar. when putting him to bed distract him with some thing else like a song you sing only at bedtime. every once in a while change up the tune or words.
Thank you. This is very reassuring. I'll try it :bighug:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Sweet Pea does the same thing at times. remember to ignore bad behavior, reward good behavoir.

Wolf

Jogging around the block
If you stop to consider it this is not bad behavior on his part. He is hardwired to defend his nesting site from other birds as well as from predators or any other intruders, this only appears to be bad behavior because we don't perceive the need for it as we are not usually going to hurt them, but they are required by their nature to protect it. Just ignore this behavior and modify your methods to take this into account. Such as, I never reach into my birds cages except for changing out food and water or cleaning the cage. I open the door to the cage and allow them to come out on their own before asking them to step up.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
When I put mine back in, I sit them on their perch and give a treat. I use a T stick for Secret but MC is okay to ride on my hand into the cage.

If they're eating a treat, they are distracted about being upset for whatever reason.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks every one. Leto only seems crabby at night. :meh: I don't know why. If I'm messing with his toys or food dishes he's usually either on top of the cage or on a separate perch or area.

On a plus note :xflove: He has started stepping up off the cage onto my finger and putting his head down in a bow position for scritches. :dance5::heart:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like he was just tired. :)
I know I'm not supposed to take it personally, but I felt really hurt and like I was doing something wrong.

If I am, I want to fix it. If not then I just have to toughen up :o:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
At least he feels safe enough in the home you gave him to "strike" and isn't cowering in fear in the corner. That's a good sign I'd say. They're prey and he isn't afraid to show his "ruffled feathers". They can take awhile to read though. I have one bird who will strike always and if he can make a new person JUMP he will go off in a continuous loud laugh. He loves trying it on new people because he loves their reaction and he will still strike at me one minute and climb on me the next. And I have another that means it when he strikes, still working with him. The first one mentioned is a rehome and he learned long ago that striking brought huge drama from someone.

Last edited:

Kimberla

Avenue Veteran
My U2 started striking at my hand when I went to put him back so I put a perch up toward the top of the cage and swing him behind it and pull him to the front with his chest just above the perch. He steps right up on it and I give him a treat. If he won't take it from me, I still leave it in the cage

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At least he feels safe enough in the home you gave him to "strike" and isn't cowering in fear in the corner. That's a good sign I'd say. They're prey and he isn't afraid to show his "ruffled feathers". They can take awhile to read though. I have one bird who will strike always and if he can make a new person JUMP he will go off in a continuous loud laugh. He loves trying it on new people because he loves their reaction and he will still strike at me one minute and climb on me the next. And I have another that means it when he strikes, still working with him. The first one mentioned is a rehome and he learned long ago that striking brought huge drama from someone.
Oh. I never thought of this. He never cowered. He's been outgoing and interactive from the second o brought him home :smuggrin: He seems pretty confident and self assured.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
And by the way.....MC strikes the cage when hubby walks by. Hubs will stop, look him in the eye and say "why did you do that?" MC gets a dead pan expression like he's wanting to say "I didn't do anything"

I personally think it's because hubby tried so hard on the beginning to make friends with him. For all his efforts.....MC just spurned him, bit him, and would say come ere just to get the chance to bite him again. MC just likes to yank his chain.

Did I mention that I love my husband?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd would do it, Lurch does it with extreme prejudice, even Beeper, the baby house finch we rescued and raised did it. They defend their homes against all foes.
Nerd got to the point he trusted me enough he allowed it most times, Lurch isn't quite there yet and loves bluffing, and hates bed time.
Beeper never allowed it but at the same time would scream and peck any finger through her bars, then hop on and look happy.
Nerd and Lurch were, are Maxi Pionus so yep, don't feel like he's the only one. Respect his house and with time he may grudgingly decide your allowed near or in, but don't feel bad if he never does, its nothing against you, rules just have to be followed:cool:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might also try moving slower, talking about what you are doing, having the lights on or the lights off...