• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal???

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Morgan is yelling in her native language for the first time in her 19 years and won't be distracted. I'm attributing it to the weather and the season. Anybody else have an Amazon acting out of the ordinary? Increased baths haven't helped, but I've noticed that more hands-on time, less ambient attention is helping.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yikes! Been worried about hormonal season......Secret has a bit of history with me during that time.

Note to self.......tread carefully.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
It is Kobe the Pionus who seems to be very much affected by hormones each year - desperate to get into any cupboards, puffing up with hackles raised at any eye contact, displaying and attacking Ollie and me. Like you I find more hands on time is helping... plus keeping ultra calm. Strangely he's better in the evenings so I am really trying to notice what exactly sets the stage for this behaviour in the mornings so that maybe I can change it. I am wondering hunger plays a part - the unwanted bahaviour is always worse before breakfast. Hoping Morgan calms down soon and that you will be able to hear again! :D

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is Kobe the Pionus who seems to be very much affected by hormones each year - desperate to get into any cupboards, puffing up with hackles raised at any eye contact, displaying and attacking Ollie and me. Like you I find more hands on time is helping... plus keeping ultra calm. Strangely he's better in the evenings so I am really trying to notice what exactly sets the stage for this behaviour in the mornings so that maybe I can change it. I am wondering hunger plays a part - the unwanted bahaviour is always worse before breakfast. Hoping Morgan calms down soon and that you will be able to hear again! :D

She has never called like this before. She'll be 20 in July, so it's a bit puzzling. She seems to be calming down a bit. Whew. Last night, all 4 misbehaved! Something in the air, like the lousy weather. Sigh. Tonight was good. :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Strange about the calling. We've had more pigeons than usual feeding outside (the few over the winter decided to invite their friends) and they seem to set Ollie off. He's more vocal in the mornings than normal right now, but I'm putting it down to the pigeons. I do find the Amazons seem to set each other off - Ollie starts, then Chico joins in and finally Bobbie with her car alarm. :shocked4: Kobe is silent... but deadly! :hehe: Glad last night was better in the aooratrix household! :)

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Sunni is definitely having issues.... This last week she has been in... ah "frisky" mode, so I try to distract her and if that doesn't work I put her up and she sings the song of her people.....

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Strange about the calling. We've had more pigeons than usual feeding outside (the few over the winter decided to invite their friends) and they seem to set Ollie off. He's more vocal in the mornings than normal right now, but I'm putting it down to the pigeons. I do find the Amazons seem to set each other off - Ollie starts, then Chico joins in and finally Bobbie with her car alarm. :shocked4: Kobe is silent... but deadly! :hehe: Glad last night was better in the aooratrix household! :)

I had a military macaw that would say hi to the morning doves when they came each morning.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I had a military macaw that would say hi to the morning doves when they came each morning.
:hehe: How funny!!! :hehe:

Bobbie always says "hello" to Ollie when he visits her cage. It's lost on Ollie though as he doesn't speak English.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sunni is definitely having issues.... This last week she has been in... ah "frisky" mode, so I try to distract her and if that doesn't work I put her up and she sings the song of her people.....
:hehe: Love that... "sings the song of her people..." :hehe:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
:hehe: Love that... "sings the song of her people..." :hehe:

Me, too. I'm stealing it. Morgan was GREAT at it last night. Sigh. :tmsmakesme:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Me, too. I'm stealing it. Morgan was GREAT at it last night. Sigh. :tmsmakesme:
But Matthew she was just singing the song of her people! :hehe::hehe::hehe:

Seriously I feel for you. Ollie was unbearably loud this morning - I had to put on my professional ear protectors. :bag:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Orange wings do have that reputation. Morgan has been quiet today. Of course I gave her a new foraging toy, too. That is helping today.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Nice use of providing an incompatible behaviour for her to do instead of the screaming! :highfive: