• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder recommendation

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Who is Marcy?
Marcy Covalt… Feathered Companions Aviary… here's the link.. poke around her site, there's a lot to read and great articles

FCA Home

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I do find that females are sweeter in temperament than the males. But that is my personal experience in working with Green cheeks and crimson bellies. Astro used to fly to me until Rocket came and she's been a timid girl since then. Bob is a Black capped male and can be pinchy. He's been with me for quite some time and was 6 months old when I bought him so he did require more hands on training. He does love a good cuddle and chews on my clothes when he's held…. he loves laying on his back in my hand or my lap by his choice, not because I put him that way. He loves his toys ( one toy in particular… he really loves if you know what I mean…) He talks fairly well too. I have never used treats to train any of them and all step up because they want to be held… except Casey, he steps up on a covered arm or perch ( because he bites) to come out and spend time with his favorite girl Ruby out on an open stand. As much as Ruby likes Casey, she will leave him in a heart beat to fly to me when she sees me give attention to her sister Scarlette. Ruby is very demanding of my attention and will hang off my shirt or lean in from my shoulder to make sure I see her there.

Iuli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
Oh duh marcy. I really liked her site. Does she ship?

Cahtie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Misty
Oh duh marcy. I really liked her site. Does she ship?
Um last I checked she ships. Actually though..I'm not 100% sure. I'd check out her website out. Worth it to read her articles, if nothing else.

Iuli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
Okay so if there is a breeder with multiple types of birds is that like a definite no-no, so go to the next one?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If she provides a number give her a call and ask if she ships, the cost and helpful information about the species she raises. You never know, she may have a companion bird that needs a good home or know of one.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Unless you can see the facilty I would avoid a breeder that has multiple species listed. Though not many are going to allow anyone into their aviary, especially during breeding season. Look for one that has a good reputation for the species you have an interest in. You might also contact a reputable rescue and ask to be notified if a conure comes in.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
No, I wouldn't consider a breeder with multiple species to be a definite 'no' at all. Many, if not most, good breeders do breed multiple species. But I would definitely avoid the ones that raise dozens of species - my preference would be a breeder that specializes in a few favorite species. Part of it is just that if they are breeding so many different pairs, they may have too many babies to give each individual attention.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
No, I wouldn't consider a breeder with multiple species to be a definite 'no' at all. Many, if not most, good breeders do breed multiple species. But I would definitely avoid the ones that raise dozens of species - my preference would be a breeder that specializes in a few favorite species. Part of it is just that if they are breeding so many different pairs, they may have too many babies to give each individual attention.

I was really referring to those breeders who do list more than a dozen different species they raise. I can't imagine what kind of facility it would take for that many in the first place, the complications of space, individual needs per species, on top of keeping cages, floors, food and water clean. There are the good breeders and then there are the bad…. unfortunately.

Cool stuff in your Etsy shop BTW…. love the budgie and cockatiel… very nice carvings!!!!!

minty marie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
montanna
i wasn't sure where to ask this but I guess this will do... I have two male budgies a grey and a blue and black and I really want to breed them so I am getting a female but I really want pied babies what colour is recommended to go with either grey or black and blue?? and should I just hav one male and one female or will two males be fine because they seem to get along really well and I don't really want to separate them... what can I do?? :budgie9::budgie8::budgie7: