• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

pellets?

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
So Butter is on Zupreem fruit blend right now, And i read the ingredients...
One thing i noticed was the significant amount food coloring, and i do not like all that color being put in my bird.
I have heard of behavior change in humans with the food coloring stuff, and maybe that would be the same for birds too?
Either way i'll try and get him to eat the Zupreem naturals without all that coloring, but what do you think?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine has always been on Harrisons so I can't answer your question :cool:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I think anything but natural coloring is bad. That being said, any pellet only has value if your bird will eat it. Harrison's is great, but if your birds won't eat it, it's worthless in that particular situation.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't really like Zupreem Fruitblend because beyond the food colouring (which makes annoying multi-coloured poop), it's pretty high in sugar. If you can switch to natural, that's great. Fruitblend is the only pellet my Target will eat - she's rejected many other pellets I've tried with her :(

Last edited:

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
You should gradually start mixing in the new pellets. If you are lucky, he might start eating them with no issues.

If he doesn't take to non-colored pellets right away, maybe teach him to eat those current pellets wrapped in tissue paper, so he doesn't see the color. You can start by first just adding paper pieces around the pellets. Then loosely wrap them, but still leave loose pellets in the bowl. Once you see that he figured out there is food in the paper, then wrap pellets in little paper balls so he has to chew through paper and won't see the colors.
Then gradually start adding non-colored pellets in the paper, and work your way back to having just new pellets in the bowl.

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
Appolo is on Tropican lifetime granuels. She loves these and they seem really healthy. They also have no artifisal color! These seem relly good and appolo eats them with no problem! I would switch your pellets because artifcal coloring is really bad . Good luck . also you can probally use the cockatiel blend for a lovie since they have similer beak size:)

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I don't really like Zupreem Fruitblend because beyond the food colouring (which makes annoying multi-coloured food), it's pretty high in sugar. If you can switch to natural, that's great. Fruitblend is the only pellet my Target will eat - she's rejected many other pellets I've tried with her :(
All that sugar is a killer. Especially for a bird that has high energy anyway!

You should gradually start mixing in the new pellets. If you are lucky, he might start eating them with no issues.

If he doesn't take to non-colored pellets right away, maybe teach him to eat those current pellets wrapped in tissue paper, so he doesn't see the color. You can start by first just adding paper pieces around the pellets. Then loosely wrap them, but still leave loose pellets in the bowl. Once you see that he figured out there is food in the paper, then wrap pellets in little paper balls so he has to chew through paper and won't see the colors.
Then gradually start adding non-colored pellets in the paper, and work your way back to having just new pellets in the bowl.

Never heard of doing it like that before... That's an interesting way to switch pellets!

Appolo is on Tropican lifetime granuels. She loves these and they seem really healthy. They also have no artifisal color! These seem relly good and appolo eats them with no problem! I would switch your pellets because artifcal coloring is really bad . Good luck . also you can probally use the cockatiel blend for a lovie since they have similer beak size:)
Butter is an Umbrella Cockatoo.

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
Im sorry i thought from your profile pic butter was a lovie:laughing2: well the tropican does sell the granuels and food sticks for large parrots aswell. I think this is a good brand because of price plus lots of ingredients. Best non organic brand. I like them better than harrisons. See if butter likes them:) appolo took to them right away!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
My birds get In Tune by Higgins and they like it.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
We just talked about pellets at the last bird club meeting.

Besides coloring there are preservatives you may want to look at in pellets. Some pellets are baked, some are cooked in other ways. I can't remember all the details but I know I was breathing ok after my two were mentioned (zupreem natural and roudybush).

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We have used Zupreem Fruit Blend for years now. The pellets are part of their diet,along with fresh veggies,some fruit and once in awhile, a nut or two.
The Budgie Boys get a mixture of good quality seed mixed with their pellets...again, with good results.

IMO, you have to watch that you are not persuaded to use one brand of pellet over another because of slick advertising...

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Butter is an Umbrella Cockatoo.
I too didn't pay attention to your signature and didn't realize Butter is a U2. That trick worked for my lovebirds. I don't know about toos.
But, yeah, getting him on something with less sugar would be better for him.

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Joey alternates between Harrison's and Roudybush. He likes a change now and then.

24KParrot

Checking out the neighborhood
Harrison's and Roudybush definitely are the best. We tried TOP which used to stand for totally organic pellets, but now it supposedly will stand for total outrageous pellets. I'm not sure how organic the pellets will be, or really how organic they have been in the past. Maybe the company changes hands or something, but I contacted TOP recently with some questions and the man who replied was exceptionally rude and condescending. So that helped us to decide that TOP would no longer be part of our birdie's diet.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I vote for Harrisons as well..I was fortunate that Elvis took to them when I changed from Zupreem..fruit ...next on my list would be Roudy..bush. .good luck with any changes you make..

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Next time i go to the pet store i'll see if they carry Harrisons or Roudybush.
I don't remember right off the bat if they even have anything but Zupreem, as i normally get what i need and leave.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Ok so i gave him some of the zupreem natural because the pet store doesn't carry harrisons or roudybush.
He gets the idea that it's food, but still likes the taste of the fruit blend better.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Did the store have Higgins in tune....that is also fruit flavored/colored but with natural colorant (beets, fruit, etc). Mine do eat this and I have liked higgins products.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Did the store have Higgins in tune....that is also fruit flavored/colored but with natural colorant (beets, fruit, etc). Mine do eat this and I have liked higgins products.
I don't think so. They just have Kaytee and Zupreem for the large birds....

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I don't think so. They just have Kaytee and Zupreem for the large birds....

Ok, One bird shop has them here. I also order on line

Call or write to Higgins for a sample. Try Kathy at MSBS for a sample or get a very small amount to try