• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

any advice on a biting lorikeet?

jaja87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Justin Dockery
My green naped lorikeet is 6 months old now. He's always been a little nibbly when it comes to anything...clothing, strings, toys and hands. Recently it has become a problem. I can't take him out anymore without getting bit HARD like almost hard enough to draw blood. He was hand raised and was tame the moment I took him home. He gets out of cage time for hours a day and has an abundance of toys. Nothing has really changed in the room that would scare him. right now he is trying to tear his perch to shreds. No one in the household can hold him without him chewing on their hands and I'm not sure how to get this behavior to stop. I've had many birds before and never have I experienced a bird that bites this much. Is it a breed thing?

jaja87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Justin Dockery
btw he is target trained, trained to wave and trained to lift his wings.

LRous

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lori
What is his Diet? and is it a DNA or Surgically confirmed Male?

rritoch

Moving in
Real Name
Ralph Ritoch
It's my experience that some lorikeets are biters and others aren't. I'll guess that your lorikeet is a female as female birds are usually more aggressive, and it may help if you get her a mate. My female lorikeet only bites me occasionally, but they both nibble/lick my fingers which I let them. You could try training her to not bite, rewarding her with honey when she nibbles and not giving her the honey when she bites.