• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I posted a CL as for a Linnie today. I am currently debating with myself should I or should I not? I know Kobe would like her. She is a 3 year old turquoise female that is not tame. She has never had a mate and is caged with cockatiels and budgies. My major issue is quarantine. I only have two rooms living and bed.
I am having the new flight cage put together this week so cage room is not an issue either. I could put new one in Kobes old cage and quarantine in my bedroom. Is that really a quarantine? I really do not think so as this room is just another room in a 1 bedroom apart. What do do?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
not sure about the quarantine issue - what did you do when you got Kobe? Aww good luck with your decision...:hug8:

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Dianne - go and check it out.
The circumstances may help you decide what to do.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There was no need to isolate Kobe as he was the only bird in the home. Chances are good that I will pass on this anyway.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Could you maybe talk to the owner about vet checks, etc. Maybe that will help you determine if quarantine in the next room is sufficient. Technically, I think all of us would be hard pressed to do a true proper quarantine as it should be different air spaces all together which just isn't realistic unless you have a guest house or something. ;) If something is drawing you to this bird, I think you should inquire further. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I keep wanting to do things for Kobe. He does seem content with Daisy but every once in a while a little bad bird comes out of him when they are on the jungle gym playing. So he has a new big cage that I took out of my food budget and I go with peanut butter and jelly and he gets the new cage. The person said her birds have not been to the vet which makes me think on the negative side of this. She or he does not answer when I ask why are you looking for a new home for this bird. Asked that ? two times. I think we are OK like we are. It just surprised me to see a Linnie in the color I like on CL. No No Dianne do not do this.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
It makes me suspicious too when they won't answer the questions I ask. But because you said no to yourself today doesn't mean that you can't say yes tomorrow. ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well I just saw another post for a different bird from this person. Either a flipper or letting go of pet birds. This one is a sennie.
Kind of seals the deal for me. Don't want to deal with people that will not give you all the information or answer questions. Thanks all anyway.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Is this the same Sennie that was posted back in October?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Different part of town. That sennie was near me in Reisterstown. This person is near glen burnie.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Got it. Maybe they are just getting rid of all of their birds. Sorry it's not working out for you and for the bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is hard to trust any one on CL now days. Thanks anyway Mary Lynn.

wyrinth

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
People lie for a number of reasons, maybe trying to sell the bird and afraid of scaring off potential buyers. Both my birds were from kijiji. One was not banded, even though I specifically asked whether he was closed banded and was told yes. The other one had a beak injury I was not told about (despite numerous emails back and forth) until I drove an hour to buy her. On the other hand, they were relatively good prices. I've had both birds for a few years and couldn't be happier. I was willing to take the chance, but others might not.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Don't do it for Kobe. He may not like this bird either. You can never tell. It sounds like a nice bird but why all the secrecy? Real bird people seem to be honest. Do you want another untame bird? More cages as they need separation? If you are eating peanut butter to do for the birds maybe you have found your limit?
Hope you work this out as its hard to have those regrets when we want something.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So its caged with cockatiels & budgies & she also selling a sennie? Does she say why she is selling the birds?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It is my experience that a single Linnie will eventually adapt to any other single Linnie, they are just that way and you will see a remarkable difference in Kobe. Linnies are so much more the social butterflies than any other parrot species I have ever met and much more so with their own species. I don't know how to explain it, it's just something that you have to experience. They are just amazing when they finally pair off with someone of their own species. I don't think you would ever regret getting a second one...they are truly magical together.

As for quarantining, I can't help you there. I agree with what someone else said, I don't think any of us are truly prepared to do any kind of real quarantine and just because Kobe was an only bird doesn't mean you shouldn't have quarantined him when he first came home. I'd try to be careful about where you get your next bird if you decide to get another one and then do the best you can with quarantine until you get a chance to take that bird to the vet and run the major tests and get the results back.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No, not to that bird!
But yes to a Linnie that doesn't need quarantine and perhaps also is tame. I think it will be great with another Linnie and Kobe will be so happy! ♥

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If a Linnie happens to cross my path I will think about having one. From what you all say they are great social birdies. Kobe is just now getting to where he will sit on my head or shoulder for a few minutes but still not comfortable seeing my hands. Kobe and Daisy have a relatively peaceful co-existence but for a few squabbles now and then. Of course he is going to have a cage big enough for several birds but I do not think my tiny budget can support several birds. I appreciate everyone's feedback here.