• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Took in a M2

keikoasmom

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
You will need it...but the good news is that you know that you have us to lean on if you need it!

It is possible that he is back to mutilation because of the change in environment. He is most likely stressed, and when stressed those behaviors are going to come out. Try and keep things as close to normal for him as possible ~ he will need adjustment time. Deep breaths, you will make it through this. :)

When have the "tantrums" happened? When going to put him back in his cage? When taking him out? A wise man once told me, you cant MAKE a cockatoo do anything. Your best bet is to try and make them think it was their own idea. ;) Do you know his favorite treats? Bribery is just fine to use to your advantage! Save those treats for those difficult times. Time to go back in your cage? Here lets put that almond in your food dish. Go get it yourself. :D

OMG, those are wise words!
And also apply to two year olds! My mother once asked who was smarter, me or my 2 year old son~
use reverse psychology! Or what I do with my Goffin who never wants to go in the cage
at bedtime....She disapears when I put Keikoa to bed....
So I start showing the other birds how Brandy loves to "flap", and because Bubo is
jealous of Brandy, she comes out to show off too! I give her a lot of praise and attention, and then put her to bed.

Yes, food helps too. Mine love cashews. (roasted, unsalted)

I had to read this to my hubby, he had a laugh. The Goffins drive him crazy, but he
always melts when they want to cuddle.

Best of luck, you are a great friend and animal friend, too!